Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Append stderr
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Append stderr Post 302422411 by curleb on Tuesday 18th of May 2010 10:10:14 AM
Old 05-18-2010
time zones are funny things, aren't they...?

Code:
-> ls -ltr nowhere.txt 2>&1 |tee -a /tmp/error_test.log
nowhere.txt: No such file or directory

-> cat -n /tmp/error_test.log                          
     1  nowhere.txt: No such file or directory
     2  nowhere.txt: No such file or directory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stderr

in fprint(stderr, "lkjalsdi\n"); what does stderr mean? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell9
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stderr redirection

Does anyone know away of redirecting the stderr for a bourne or korn shell script to a file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
5 Replies

3. Programming

stderr in background process

Herez the question, In a process which writes into file FILE1 with descriptor fHandler1 and it is run as a background process where would statements be directed when stderr descriptor is used. fprintf(stderr,"some message\n"); assume that session from which it is run is terminated and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDERR output

Hi, Need some help here on a script I'm writing. I know that STDERR is normally done is this manner: script 2>stderr.out However, if I wanted to output the stderr from a rsh command how do I do that? Example: su - username -c "rsh $hostname /opt/gilberteu/scriptname" 1>stdout... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilberteu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I pipe stderr to another process

Hi there, I was wondering if it was possible to pipe stderr to another process. I need to eval commands given as arguments and I would like to redirect stderr to another process. I can redirect stderr to a file like this... toto:~$ command="one=1" toto:~$ eval $command 2> error toto:~$... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr/stdout

Can somebody explain to me why the diff output is not going to stderr? Yet when I issue a diff from the command line the return code is -ne 1. I am guessing diff always writes to stdout??? Is there away I can force the difff to write to stderr USING THE CURRENT template. If possible, I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get stderr

Hello I try to store stderr into a variable, then if this var is not empty i send an email and stop my script. I think my problem is due of "<$dump" into my command line. my bad command line (see samples below on this post) if ! $returnedStr ; then echo ERROR READING DUMP: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giova
8 Replies

8. Solaris

can't get stderr port

Hi Experts, i have a solaris 9 OS and i get the following message repeated many time in my /var/adm/messages : Oct 31 16:30:44 baobab rsh: can't get stderr port: Cannot assign requested address have you any idea how can i resolve this issue ??:confused: thanks for help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - proper way to append variable to stderr

Hello, Can you please if the bellow is the proper way of appending a variable to the stderr: The easiest way to test this,I was able to imagine, was by touching 5 files and afterwards looping trough to the results: -rw-r--r-- 1 ab owner 0 Sep 14 13:45 file1 -rw-r--r-- 1 ab owner 0 Sep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt regarding stderr

Hi All, I am writing a shell script code. and i want the stderr to be send to a file and the stdout to be displayed in terminal. In my shell script code i use a read command to get data from user.read -r -p "Enter the type :" data and while i execute my script i use./my_script.sh 2>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinoth R
4 Replies
PARALLEL-SLURP(1)														 PARALLEL-SLURP(1)

NAME
parallel-slurp - copy files from listed hosts SYNOPSIS
parallel-slurp [OPTIONS] -h hosts.txt -L destdir remote local DESCRIPTION
pssh provides a number of commands for executing against a group of computers, using SSH. It's most useful for operating on clusters of homogenously-configured hosts. parallel-slurp gathers specified files from hosts you listed. OPTIONS
-r --recursive recusively copy directories (OPTIONAL) -L --localdir output directory for remote file copies -h --hosts hosts file (each line "host[:port] [user]") -l --user username (OPTIONAL) -p --par max number of parallel threads (OPTIONAL) -o --outdir output directory for stdout files (OPTIONAL) -e --errdir output directory for stderr files (OPTIONAL) -t --timeout timeout (secs) (-1 = no timeout) per host (OPTIONAL) -O --options SSH options (OPTIONAL) -v --verbose turn on warning and diagnostic messages (OPTIONAL) EXAMPLE
An example to copy /home/irb2/foo.txt from each host. Files gathered will be stored in /tmp/outdir/hostname/foo.txt. # prallel-slurp -h hosts.txt -L /tmp/outdir -l irb2 /home/irb2/foo.txt foo.txt ENVIRONMENT
All four programs take similar sets of options. All of these options can be set using the following environment variables: o PSSH_HOSTS o PSSH_USER o PSSH_PAR o PSSH_OUTDIR o PSSH_VERBOSE o PSSH_OPTIONS SEE ALSO
parallel-ssh(1), parallel-scp(1), parallel-nuke(1), parallel-rsync(1), ssh(1) AUTHOR
Brent N. Chun <bnc@theether.org> COPYING
Copyright: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Brent N. Chun NOTES
1. bnc@theether.org mailto:bnc@theether.org 03/30/2009 PARALLEL-SLURP(1)