Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help Running Loop Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help Running Loop Script Post 302422248 by jamba1 on Tuesday 18th of May 2010 01:21:28 AM
Old 05-18-2010
Help Running Loop Script

Hi

I have a file called lastlogin_1 that contains a list of usernames. I would like to put together a quick loop script that will use a variable (the contents of lastlogin_1 file) and grep all directories and sub directories in the current directory (/in/the/current/directory) for each username in the lastlogin_1 file and remove all entries of the usernames that exist in files under these directories.

The files contain information as follows: (user access to various menus)

:allow:davidw,simonk,katrinad,elizabeo,rachelm,jodiew,carolep,timj,colleenh,audreys,angelal:

The lastlogin_1 file contains entries as follows:
jamesm> more lastlogin_1
aaron
adamb
alan
alanr
alanr
alecia
aleda
alexs
alfred

Should the username be removed it will leave a double comma ,, in the file which might cause problems with other users access so I would like to remove only the comma following the user being removed.

Can someone point me in the right direction of how to do this with the use of a script. I have tried a few things but failing at the first hurdle when trying to set the variable ie

Code:
USERS=${<Lastlogin_1} or USERS= awk '{print $1}' lastlogin_1

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

running command in while loop

I have a script that users a while read, whithin this I want to execute the cp -i command on some of the results, however because it is in a loop it skips the -i part of cp. How do I get the loop to stop each time cp -i is run and wait for the user to type the response. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script in INFINITE LOOP

Hi All, I have a requirement as below. I supposed to get a file from Source system once in a month. But we dont know when the source system will send the file. My script has to wait for that file in LOOP once it gets the file then it has to FTP the file. I thought of scheduling the job... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop when process running

Hi Gurus, Could you please help me to create a shell script that will be started by a cron job once every night at 24.00 h (that should bee easy:)) The shell script should control every 30 seconds the name of a process, and when the process doesn't run anymore it should execute a few further... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackwire
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop and running 2 commands at once?

HI. I am trying to run 2 commands, using the "for x in a b c d" loop but i am having a hard time coding it... Here is what i have so far: for SERVER in SERVERA SERVERB SERVERC SERVERD SERVERE do ############################################################################### #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in running while loop inside a shell script

I have an input file at ./$1.txt with content of seq numbers like : 1234567890 1234589700 . . so on.. I need to take each seq nbr from the input file ,run the query below: select ackname,seqnbr from event where event_text like '%seqnbr( from the input file)' and redirect the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

While Loop not running

echo "The recreate was successfully completed for device file $LCL_CLN_FILE." >> $LOG_FILE remaining=$(symclone -sid $LCL_SID -f $ETC/$LCL_CLN_FILE query | grep MB | awk '{print $2}') if then while do echo "$remaining MB's to be copied........." >> $LOG_FILE ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajsan
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Question: HowTo Exit Script with User Input While Process is Running Mid-Loop?

Hi, I have written a script that allows me to repetitively play a music file $N times, which is specified through user input. However, if I want to exit the script before it has finished looping $N times, if I use CTRL+c, I have to CTRL+c however many times are left in order to complete the loop.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilltop_yodeler
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select command going to infinite loop after running the script

cd /opt/et/WAS/apps/8.0 find . -name "HostIntegration.properties" -o -name "HostSocket.properties" -o -name "environment.properties" 2> /dev/null | awk -F '' '{print $4}'|awk '!x++' | cat>/home/cbadmin/file1.txt cd /home/cbadmin/ PS3='Please enter a number from list of applications==>:' select... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop is running only for the first iteration

Hello, I've written a script to automate encoding of all the MP4 files in a directory (incl. subdirectories). But unfortunately it's running for the first MP4 file only. My machine details: root@Ubuntu16:~# uname -a Linux Ubuntu16 4.10.0-28-generic #32~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 20 10:19:48... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running in a loop in UNIX

I have a table in oracle which has 2 columns table_name table_name1 U1 T1 U2 T2 I have to take these as a variable in unix and then go to /home/bin and execute a unix command using these variables. Considering that there is only one row in the table I was able to write the below but need help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashcalin
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-c COMMAND] [-e] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c COMMAND Run the COMMAND rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux