Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to add up fields
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to add up fields Post 302422137 by Franklin52 on Monday 17th of May 2010 02:23:41 PM
Old 05-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by omoyne
the format is correct but it does not work. it won't store anything in the variableSmilie
Do you want to store the output in a shell variable?
Code:
var=`command | awk '{t+=$NF}END{print t}' file`

or:
Code:
var=$(command | awk '{t+=$NF}END{print t}' file)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add fields in a file

Hi all! I have two files containing one field each. The fields consist of numbers separated in records e.g. file1.dat 1657 2345 5678 5676 7978 7856 5686 5676 8990 . . . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjorb
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get 4 character each from 2 different fields concatenate and add as a new field

Hi, I have a huge text file. It looks like abcde bangalo country 12345 lastfield i want to get first 3 characters from field1 and first 3 characters from field 2 and insert the result as a new field. example the result should be: abcde bangalo abcban country 12345 lastfield Please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajithshankar@ho
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large pipe delimited file that I need to add CR/LF every n fields

I have a large flat file with variable length fields that are pipe delimited. The file has no new line or CR/LF characters to indicate a new record. I need to parse the file and after some number of fields, I need to insert a CR/LF to start the next record. Input file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clintrpeterson
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add to constant fields at the end of every line

Hi, I want to add two fields with values '1000' and 'XYZ-1234' at the end of every line in a comma delimited file. Should I use any command in a loop to add the fields or using any single command Shall I acheive it? Kindly help me in code. Thanks, Poova. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add fields in different files only if some fields between them match

Hi everybody (first time posting here) I have a file1 that looks like > 1,101,0.1,0.1 1,26,0.1,0.1 1,3,0.1,0.1 1,97,0.5,0.5 1,98,8.1,0.218919 1,99,6.2,0.248 2,101,0.1,0.1 2,24,3.1,0.147619 2,25,23.5,0.559524 2,26,34,0.723404with 762 lines.. I have another 'similar' file2 > ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: murpholinox
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to add field heards to specific fields

I have tab delimited input that prints out in the format below: I am trying to add field headers to $5 and $6. Not sure if sed is the best tool but my attempt is below. Thank you :). $5 = REF $6 = ALT file ID CHR START STOP 123 1 100 200 A ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add plus or minus to fields and split another field

In the tab-delimited input below I am trying to use awk to -10 from $2 and +10 to $3. Something like awk -F'\t' -v OFS='\t' -v s=10 '{split($4,a,":"); print $1,$2-s,$3+s,a,$5,$6} | awk {split(a,b,"-"); print $1,$2-s,$3+s,b-s,b+s,$5,$6}' input should do that. I also need to -10 from $4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add fields to different file?

hi, would you help me? i have file total.csv "name","id","gender" "a,"e23","f" "b,"34d","g" "c","45f","f" "d","45s","f" and file count.csv 3 i want to add file count to file total every row name,id,gender,total_match "a,"e23","f","3" "b,"34d","g","3" "c","45f","f","3" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kivale
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add number of fields throughout file together?

So, I have three problems that cover this subject. First one asks me to find the number of fields in the file that contain the substring "he". I found the number of fields, but the problem I have is that they are displaying by each record. I want to add all of the records' fields together. With... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mc10
2 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)