Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed string manipulation in shell script Post 302422010 by mirfan on Tuesday 18th of May 2010 03:50:11 AM
Old 05-18-2010
Hello,

Both of the solution(ygemici & Franklin52) works for simple queries metioned earlier.
But i have very long queries sql file contains 1000 of database queries. e.g.

cat sourcefile.sql
Code:
SET INSERT_ID=1;
INSERT INTO table1 (column1,column2..column34) VALUES (column2value..column34value);

SET INSERT_ID=2;
INSERT INTO table2 (column1,column2..column23) VALUES (column2value..column23value);

This should be converted into as follows outfile.sql, where column1value is SET INSERT_ID
Code:
INSERT INTO table1 (column1,column2..column34) VALUES (column1value,column2value..column34value);

INSERT INTO table2 (column1,column2..column23) VALUES (column1value,column2value..column23value);

When i tried Franklin52 solution doesn't seem to work on mentioned queries because every table in sourcefile.sql contains different tables and no. of columns.

While ygemici your solution works from command line but when i run from shell script it gives me error "Filename too long".

Here is my shell script
Code:
# !/bin/bash

IDS=`cat sourcefile.sql | grep INSERT_ID | awk -F"=" '{print $2}' | sed 's/\(.*\)....../\1/'`    # all INSERT_IDS are fetched in array
LINES=$(cat sourcefile.sql | wc -l) # total no. of lines in sourcefile.sql

for i in $ID
do
        for (( i=2; i<=$LINES; i=$i+2 ))
        do
        QUERY=`head -$i sourcefile.sql | tail -1`
        MQUERY=`echo 'echo' "\"$QUERY ($f);\"|"`
        SUB=`echo "sed \"s/VALUES (/VALUES ($f,/\""`
        FINALQ=`"echo \"$QUERY\" | $SUB"`
        eval $FINALQ   # gives error "Filename too long"
        done
done

Last edited by Franklin52; 05-18-2010 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Correcting code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need shell/sed script for grep+string replacement

Hi, Let me explain the situation. There are many files in a directory and its sub-directories that conatin the string pattern "pa". I want to replace all such instances with the pattern "pranavagarwal" doing a grep "pa" `ls` does give me all the instances of the occurence of that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranavagarwal
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed for string manipulation

Hi, I would like to know How to use use sed for manipulating string for the following situation. Basically my objective is to check validity of the filename in my shell script. I am getting a parameter like this for my shell script. Check my folder is having some space. $1=/root/krishna... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hikrishn
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern manipulation in korn shell script using sed.

Hi, Could any one let me know, how can I cut the last field in below mentioned line. net,-hopcount,0,-netmask,255.255.255.0,,,,,192.168.37.0,10.253.0.1 net,-hopcount,0,-netmask,255.255.255.0,,,,,192.168.1.0,10.253.0.1 net,-hopcount,0,-netmask,255.255.255.0,,,,,192.168.38.0,10.253.0.1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajilesh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed string manipulation

hi I am using sed to split a string this string is 11byteabc I would like to just get the numeric digits. echo "11byteabc" | sed 's/*// returns 11byteabc only solution that works is repeating number of times for the letters which is pointless grateful for any suggestions thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: speedieB
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting string manipulation

Hi, if I have a string delimited by commas how can I put each character on a new line followed by a carriage return, and output this to a filee.g from: s,t,r,i,n,g to s t r i n g thanks you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wahmed9
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

string manipulation in bash shell

Hi All, I am using a bash shell and want to the following thing. A process sends the following string to my script BACKUP_FAIL_REASON="Failed - Application Dump CDMACA-0:grep: /opt/nortel/ca/data/1245184/sd00/image1/S110907070708HIS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pkumar Sachin
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation using ksh script

Hi, I need to convert string "(joe.smith" into "joe_smith" i.e. I need to remove the leading opening brace '(' and replace the dot '.' with an under score '_' can anyone suggest a one liner ksh script or unix command for this please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdj
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulation with the string using sed

hello All, When I run find command on certain directory I may get one of the following output depending on configuration A. ./rel/prod/libpam.a B. ./rel/fld/libpam.a C. ./deb/detail/libpam.a D. ./deb/err/libpam.a I want to get output as below A. rel/prod B.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text manipulation with sed/awk in a bash script

Guys, I have a variable in a script that I want to transform to into something else Im hoping you guys can help. It doesn't have to use sed/awk but I figured these would be the simplest. DATE=20160120 I'd like to transform $DATE into "01-20-16" and move it into a new variable called... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dendenyc
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed for string manipulation

I have a file which contains contents like below proxy.config.cluster.mc_group_addr 224.0.1.37 proxy.config.log.logging_enabled 3 proxy.config.log.squid_log_enabled 1 Need to modify to 'proxy.config.cluster.mc_group_addr': '224.0.1.37' 'proxy.config.log.logging_enabled': '3'... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
10 Replies
DBLINK_EXEC(3)						  PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation					    DBLINK_EXEC(3)

NAME
dblink_exec - executes a command in a remote database SYNOPSIS
dblink_exec(text connname, text sql [, bool fail_on_error]) returns text dblink_exec(text connstr, text sql [, bool fail_on_error]) returns text dblink_exec(text sql [, bool fail_on_error]) returns text DESCRIPTION
dblink_exec executes a command (that is, any SQL statement that doesn't return rows) in a remote database. When two text arguments are given, the first one is first looked up as a persistent connection's name; if found, the command is executed on that connection. If not found, the first argument is treated as a connection info string as for dblink_connect, and the indicated connection is made just for the duration of this command. ARGUMENTS
conname Name of the connection to use; omit this parameter to use the unnamed connection. connstr A connection info string, as previously described for dblink_connect. sql The SQL command that you wish to execute in the remote database, for example insert into foo values(0,'a','{"a0","b0","c0"}'). fail_on_error If true (the default when omitted) then an error thrown on the remote side of the connection causes an error to also be thrown locally. If false, the remote error is locally reported as a NOTICE, and the function's return value is set to ERROR. RETURN VALUE
Returns status, either the command's status string or ERROR. EXAMPLES
SELECT dblink_connect('dbname=dblink_test_standby'); dblink_connect ---------------- OK (1 row) SELECT dblink_exec('insert into foo values(21,''z'',''{"a0","b0","c0"}'');'); dblink_exec ----------------- INSERT 943366 1 (1 row) SELECT dblink_connect('myconn', 'dbname=regression'); dblink_connect ---------------- OK (1 row) SELECT dblink_exec('myconn', 'insert into foo values(21,''z'',''{"a0","b0","c0"}'');'); dblink_exec ------------------ INSERT 6432584 1 (1 row) SELECT dblink_exec('myconn', 'insert into pg_class values (''foo'')',false); NOTICE: sql error DETAIL: ERROR: null value in column "relnamespace" violates not-null constraint dblink_exec ------------- ERROR (1 row) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 DBLINK_EXEC(3)