Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED (regular expression) problem --- Post 302421830 by alister on Sunday 16th of May 2010 03:33:48 PM
Old 05-16-2010
Hello, bluesmodular, and welcome to the forums.

Using ls to generate the for loop's list is often a poor approach. If there are any IFS characters (by default, space, tab, and newline) in the resulting filenames, they will be mangled. Often, when making use of some of ls' options (recursive listing, for example), this shortcoming is disregarded if troublesome filenames aren't expected. However, in this particular case, ls is completely unnecessary; you can generate a list of the necessary files with a safe, simple glob.

As for editing each file in place, you can do so with ed:
Code:
half=....
bulksize=....
for i in */run_example; do
    printf '187s/= [^,]*/= %s/\nwq\n' "$bulksize" | ed -s "$i"
    half=....
    bulksize=....
done

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression with sed

Hi, I'm trying following:echo "test line XA24433 test" | sed 's/.*X\(.*\)/X\1/' XA24433 test While I want the output as: XA24433 I want to grab the words starting with letter X till the next space, this word can be anywhere in the line. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression with SED

Hi! I'm trying to write a regexp but I have no luck... I have a string like this: param1=sometext&param2=hello&param3=bye Also, the string can be simply: param2=hello I want to return the value of param2: "hello". How can I do this? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GagleKas
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression (sed)

Hi I need to get text that are within "" For example File: asdasd "test test2" sadasds asdda asdasd "demo demo2" Output: test test2 demo demo2 Any help is good Thank you (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: blito_loco
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed regular expression help

please consider this: echo "11111*X*005010X279~ST*270*1111111*005010X279~BHT*0011*11" | sed 's/.*\(005010X(\d)(\d)(\d)*\).*$/\1/'i'm searching for first occurrence of 005010X while leaving rest of characters out. :confused: any tips? thnx in advance guys. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep01
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expression In Sed

Hi , I am learing sed echo abc 123 def 456 | sed 's|\(*\) \(*\)|\1|' is returning abc def 456 i was hoping abc def "\1" should only print the occurence of the first pattern but according to my understanding it is just removing the first occurence of the second pattern... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
7 Replies

6. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed regular expression

Hi all, I want to get a substring from a string based on given delimiter, for example: str="foo|bar|baz" with delimiter "|", I want to get one substring at each time with the order number the substring in the whole string, given 1 to get "foo", given 2 to get "bar", given 3 to get "baz", I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roy987
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am learning regular expression in sed,Please help me understand the use curly bracket in sed,

I am learning SED and just following the shell scripting book, i have trouble understanding the grep and sed statement, Question : 1 __________ /opt/oracle/work/antony>cat teledir.txt jai sharma 25853670 chanchal singhvi 9831545629 anil aggarwal 9830263298 shyam saksena 23217847 lalit... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
7 Replies
COL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    COL(1)

NAME
col -- filter reverse line feeds from input SYNOPSIS
col [-bfpx] [-l num] DESCRIPTION
Col filters out reverse (and half reverse) line feeds so the output is in the correct order with only forward and half forward line feeds, and replaces white-space characters with tabs where possible. This can be useful in processing the output of nroff(1) and tbl(1). Col reads from standard input and writes to standard output. The options are as follows: -b Do not output any backspaces, printing only the last character written to each column position. -f Forward half line feeds are permitted (``fine'' mode). Normally characters printed on a half line boundary are printed on the follow- ing line. -p Force unknown control sequences to be passed through unchanged. Normally, col will filter out any control sequences from the input other than those recognized and interpreted by itself, which are listed below. -x Output multiple spaces instead of tabs. -lnum Buffer at least num lines in memory. By default, 128 lines are buffered. The control sequences for carriage motion that col understands and their decimal values are listed in the following table: ESC-7 reverse line feed (escape then 7) ESC-8 half reverse line feed (escape then 8) ESC-9 half forward line feed (escape then 9) backspace moves back one column (8); ignored in the first column carriage return (13) newline forward line feed (10); also does carriage return shift in shift to normal character set (15) shift out shift to alternate character set (14) space moves forward one column (32) tab moves forward to next tab stop (9) vertical tab reverse line feed (11) All unrecognized control characters and escape sequences are discarded. Col keeps track of the character set as characters are read and makes sure the character set is correct when they are output. If the input attempts to back up to the last flushed line, col will display a warning message. SEE ALSO
expand(1), nroff(1), tbl(1) STANDARDS
The col utility conforms to the Single UNIX Specification, Version 2. The -l option is an extension to the standard. HISTORY
A col command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 17, 1991 BSD