Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do i detect a keypress such as Page-Down ? Post 302421632 by jgt on Saturday 15th of May 2010 10:43:22 AM
Old 05-15-2010
I don't quit understand what you are writing this in.
In C use should use the curses library to interpret function keys,
In ksh, why not just use the "less" command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

keypress signals

How-to use keypress action signals in C? Is there any nice select or poll functions for that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Esaia
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

keypress event in shell script

Hi All, How can I trap a character press in the shell script. For eg:- I have a script runinng a infinite loops , I will need to dispay menu asking for run process of to stop process and process stauts like we do in glance I have seen the traping the signal in glance command, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to trap a user keypress

Yo, I program Unix for fun- except when editing my website removed by reborg - and wanted to learn how to track, trap, and use to my advantage a user keypress. I know there is a built-in JS function that can do that, but Javascript is a client-side language, therefore not usable in Unix, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: signebedi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

override mysqladmin drop table asking for keypress

I am trying to run this code from script. mysqladmin -u root --password='******' --socket=/tmp/mysql.sock drop ROAD_HAULAGE_TEMP Though it does what i want it asks for me to click 'y' then enter. This is not appropriate because i want it to run from cron. Can i get mysqladmin to drop a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timgolding
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash KeyPress (or Read Single Character)

Hi, I'm sorry if this has already been posted somewhere but I can't seem to find it on the forums (or anywhere on google :( ) I am writing a script where a user must enter a single character to perform an action. For example, Press Q to Quit or R to Refresh Basically I am stuggling... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ste_Moore01
5 Replies

6. Programming

get keypress c++Qt

Hi i need to get the key pressed from the keyboard without focus on the application. i work under CentOS 5.5 with QtC++ 4.7 and Python Script (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: HanyM.Magdy
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to Bind a keypress to a function

I've been trying to re-think an old problem that didn't get answered. I know this is possible, but I'm having trouble getting it to run. I just want to call a function with a key-press or key combination. I looked and saw bind can be used to run functions and other scripts this way. Here's what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
2 Replies

8. Programming

Simulate keypress inside a non-x application...

Hey guys, I'm looking for a solution to simulate a key-combo (tab+q) inside an amiga-emulator. I've tried it with uinput and python without any success. Any help would be great. Cheers McCarthy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mccarthy83
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash loop hording keypress input

I have a bash loop that waits for a single key press, then does $something depending on what $key is pressed before refreshing the screen with updated data. The problem I have is that the script will store additional key presses and chain them together causing the screen to redraw and the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DarkPhoenix
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simulate keypress in bash

Hello everybody, I am using Windows 10 and cygwin/bash. I need to write a script in bash which simulates opening of a program and then press some keys such as F5, ENTER and ALT+F4. I have written a VBScript which does the job Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: supernono06
9 Replies
XWD(1)							      General Commands Manual							    XWD(1)

NAME
xwd - dump an image of an X window SYNOPSIS
xwd [-debug] [-help] [-nobdrs] [-out file] [-xy] [-frame] [-add value] [-root | -id id | -name name ] [-icmap] [-screen] [-silent] [-dis- play display] DESCRIPTION
Xwd is an X Window System window dumping utility. Xwd allows X users to store window images in a specially formatted dump file. This file can then be read by various other X utilities for redisplay, printing, editing, formatting, archiving, image processing, etc. The target window is selected by clicking the pointer in the desired window. The keyboard bell is rung once at the beginning of the dump and twice when the dump is completed. OPTIONS
-display display This argument allows you to specify the server to connect to; see X(7). -help Print out the `Usage:' command syntax summary. -nobdrs This argument specifies that the window dump should not include the pixels that compose the X window border. This is useful in situations where you may wish to include the window contents in a document as an illustration. -out file This argument allows the user to explicitly specify the output file on the command line. The default is to output to standard out. -xy This option applies to color displays only. It selects `XY' format dumping instead of the default `Z' format. -add value This option specifies an signed value to be added to every pixel. -frame This option indicates that the window manager frame should be included when manually selecting a window. -root This option indicates that the root window should be selected for the window dump, without requiring the user to select a window with the pointer. -id id This option indicates that the window with the specified resource id should be selected for the window dump, without requiring the user to select a window with the pointer. -name name This option indicates that the window with the specified WM_NAME property should be selected for the window dump, without requiring the user to select a window with the pointer. -icmap Normally the colormap of the chosen window is used to obtain RGB values. This option forces the first installed colormap of the screen to be used instead. -screen This option indicates that the GetImage request used to obtain the image should be done on the root window, rather than directly on the specified window. In this way, you can obtain pieces of other windows that overlap the specified window, and more importantly, you can capture menus or other popups that are independent windows but appear over the specified window. -silent Operate silently, i.e. don't ring any bells before and after dumping the window. ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY To get default host and display number. FILES
XWDFile.h X Window Dump File format definition file. SEE ALSO
xwud(1), X(7) AUTHORS
Tony Della Fera, Digital Equipment Corp., MIT Project Athena William F. Wyatt, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory X Version 11 xwd 1.0.5 XWD(1)