Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem iterating through PATH entries with spaces Post 302421575 by jim mcnamara on Friday 14th of May 2010 07:49:38 PM
Old 05-14-2010
Make an array
Code:
declare -a arr
arr=$(echo $PATH | tr -s ':' ' )

Code:
echo $PATH | awk -F: '{ for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) {print $i}}' |
while read fname
do 
# something
done

Code:
oldIFS="$IFS"
IFS=':'
for i in $PATH
do

echo $i
done 
IFS="$oldIFS"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cc path problem - no acceptable path found

Hello everyone, I'm a unix noob. I have a powerbook running mac os x 10.4 and for one of my classes I need to install the latest version of php (5.0.5). I'm following the instructions at http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/php.html to install but I've run into a problem. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kendokendokendo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with spaces in directory path

Hi Gurus, I have a requirement. cat /usdd/Sample/"NDDF Plus DB"/"NDDF Descriptive and Pricing"/"NDDF BASICS 3.0"/"Pricing"/1.txt | sed 's/*|*/|/g' | sed 's/^*//'| sed 's/^*//; s/*$//' > temp.txt In unix prompt the above command is reading the file 1.txt and I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prabhutkl
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem iterating in while loop

I am facing a problem in replacing the file contents by iterating through the list. My present code: Code: #!/bin/bash# TFILE="/tmp/vinay/testb_1.txt" while read linedo aline="$line" echo $aline code=`echo $aline|cut -d ',' -f1` country=`echo $aline|cut -d... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_vinay
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

iterating over results from sqlplus

hi all, i am writing a ksh script, i am logging into an oracle db via sqlplus and running a select statement but i dont know how i can store the results from the sql so i can iterate over it and do more operations over it. I dont want to write a stored procedure with a cursor since i need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with spaces in filename

I have written a script to run ddrescue on a list of files. #!/bin/bash # # A script to rescue data recursively using ddrescue. srcDir=/damaged/hdd/movies/ #the source directory desDir=/new/hdd/movies/ #the destination directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: colsinc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with spaces in the path

Hi all, I have a variable test has the following value assigned.. could you please help on doing cd or ls to the value in the varible ... $echo $test /bdm/sdd/compounds/AD4833XT/requests/clin/Watson_20090420/docs/MHRA\ Comments\ \&\ Responses $cd $test ksh: cd: bad argument count $cd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conduct a search or test -f over a path with spaces

I am organizing my music library on a NAS server. I want to print a list of all the directories that are missing the cover art (at least one or more jpeg file). I have successfully created a file with each line containing the path to each occurance of one or more .mp3 files. That path is also... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: godfreydanials
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set problem with spaces

#### ~]$ set "hello 'cat dog walk' money elephat" #### ~]$ echo $* | awk '{print $2}' 'cat why is the second command above showing only "'cat ? shouldn't the output be: 'cat dog walk' how can i fix this so it gives me the chosen column in its entirety? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script not parsing file with spaces in path

Hi everyone, I'm trying to write my first ever shell script, the OS is Raspbian. The code I have written must be executed whenever a certain database has been modified. The database resides on a Windows server to which I have a mount point, and I have no control over the Windows server at all so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjws
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Proper way to use a path with spaces in the directory name

I am using the below bash loop: or f in /media/cmccabe/My Book Western Digital/10_29and30_2015/*.bam ; do bname=`basename $f` pref=${bname%%.bam} samtools view -H $f | sed '/^@PG/d' | samtools reheader - $f > /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/${pref}_newheader.bam done is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies
PG_FETCH_ALL(3) 														   PG_FETCH_ALL(3)

pg_fetch_all - Fetches all rows from a result as an array

SYNOPSIS
array pg_fetch_all (resource $result) DESCRIPTION
pg_fetch_all(3) returns an array that contains all rows (records) in the result resource. Note This function sets NULL fields to the PHP NULL value. PARAMETERS
o $result - PostgreSQL query result resource, returned by pg_query(3), pg_query_params(3) or pg_execute(3) (among others). RETURN VALUES
An array with all rows in the result. Each row is an array of field values indexed by field name. FALSE is returned if there are no rows in the result, or on any other error. EXAMPLES
Example #1 PostgreSQL fetch all <?php $conn = pg_pconnect("dbname=publisher"); if (!$conn) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } $result = pg_query($conn, "SELECT * FROM authors"); if (!$result) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } $arr = pg_fetch_all($result); print_r($arr); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Array ( [0] => Array ( [id] => 1 [name] => Fred ) [1] => Array ( [id] => 2 [name] => Bob ) ) SEE ALSO
pg_fetch_row(3), pg_fetch_array(3), pg_fetch_object(3), pg_fetch_result(3). PHP Documentation Group PG_FETCH_ALL(3)