Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to escape dollar in unixcommand Post 302421520 by phoenix_nebula on Friday 14th of May 2010 02:01:48 PM
Old 05-14-2010
Two contexts

please anyone can help me in this context

1)use dollar in commands

Code:
my @tmp = `egrep 'jpg$|gif$' output.txt`

2)i want to find a $string variable in my perl program in the above command

Code:
my @tmp = `egrep 'jpg$|gif$|$string' output.txt`

please correct me where ever required please help me with this escaping stuff

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using $ dollar symbal as text

All, How can I get unix to handle the symbol $ as text rather than thinking its a variable value. e.g When calling a sql script from unix: exec SQL_PACKAGE('OPS$JOHN.EMP') where OPS$JOHN is the owner of the table ($JOHN is not a variable!) Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramit
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum Dollar Amounts

I get a transaction file and I need to sum two of the columns. I each record I get a debit(D) or credit(C) indicator. Then I get an amount field. I need to sum the total dollar value of debits and credits. I know I can loop through each record and get the sum total but is there a better way with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
7 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

65 thousand dollar question

I was just a-wondering through some hardware and software sites, and in one of them, I was scrolling down a UNIX os page when I noticed that the prices for these OS's were climbing alarmingly high; in the 5 to 10 G's. Imagine my surprise when I saw one particular UNIX os selling for 65 freakin'... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mud
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in dollar substitution

Hi, I have a problem in dollar substitution:- $ csv1="first_csv" $ csvnumber=1 $ echo {csv$csvnumber} {csv1} $ echo "${csv$csvnumber}" bad substitution I want first_csv...why is it not working thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter12
2 Replies

5. AIX

Implementing PowerVM without spending a single dollar

Hi experts. I want to setup a training lab. I have a Power 5 standalone server 9110-51A (p5 510) I want to enable PowerVM on it and create two LPARs I don't have money for an HMC I know I can use IVM instead I understand IVM is part of the VIOS software TWO QUESTIONS: 1- If... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: livehho
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto escape script to escape special chars in script args

This is a bit off the wall, but I often need to run scripts where there are argument values that contain special characters. For example, $ ./process.exe -t M -N -o temp.mol.s -i ../molfiles/N,N\',N\'\'-trimethylbis\(hexamethylene\)triamine.mol && sfile_space_to_tab.sh temp.mol.s temp.s It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and dollar command

Hello there, first of all, don't hesitate to notify me if I misbehave. I'm a newbe in the use of this site, and in unix too (in english as well :-) Well, if someone hat a little time to waste, could he explain to me this strange behavior. I'm using ksh under AIX. cdeset=$(su - db2inst1 -c... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: skitoc
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dollar symbol in Shell Script Variable

Hi, I am working on PGP encryption. I am getting public keys from some file. One of the key has dollar sign in it "$" Example: "abc$123" echo 'passphrase='$passphrase --> Giving correct value abc$123 But if I use $passphrase in PGP command getting Invalid passphrase error. If I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreehari
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore dollar value in sed

Hi Guys, I need to replace the string based on specific value by keeping dollar sign input=$1 var=$(echo "@code_temp_table_$value_table"| sed -r "s/\@code/${input}/;s/(nz|sa)_\$value_/\$value1_\1_/" ) Expected if input=nz,sa then nz_temp_table_$value1_table else if any other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Master_Mind
5 Replies
SYSTEMD-ESCAPE(1)						  systemd-escape						 SYSTEMD-ESCAPE(1)

NAME
systemd-escape - Escape strings for usage in systemd unit names SYNOPSIS
systemd-escape [OPTIONS...] [STRING...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-escape may be used to escape strings for inclusion in systemd unit names. The command may be used to escape and to undo escaping of strings. The command takes any number of strings on the command line, and will process them individually, one after another. It will output them separated by spaces to stdout. By default, this command will escape the strings passed, unless --unescape is passed which results in the inverse operation being applied. If --mangle is given, a special mode of escaping is applied instead, which assumes the string is already escaped but will escape everything that appears obviously non-escaped. For details on the escaping and unescaping algorithms see the relevant section in systemd.unit(5). OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --suffix= Appends the specified unit type suffix to the escaped string. Takes one of the unit types supported by systemd, such as "service" or "mount". May not be used in conjunction with --template=, --unescape or --mangle. --template= Inserts the escaped strings in a unit name template. Takes a unit name template such as foobar@.service. May not be used in conjunction with --suffix=, --unescape or --mangle. --path, -p When escaping or unescaping a string, assume it refers to a file system path. This eliminates leading, trailing or duplicate "/" characters and rejects "." and ".." path components. This is particularly useful for generating strings suitable for unescaping with the "%f" specifier in unit files, see systemd.unit(5). --unescape Instead of escaping the specified strings, undo the escaping, reversing the operation. May not be used in conjunction with --suffix=, --template= or --mangle. --mangle Like --escape, but only escape characters that are obviously not escaped yet, and possibly automatically append an appropriate unit type suffix to the string. May not be used in conjunction with --suffix=, --template= or --unescape. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. EXAMPLES
To escape a single string: $ systemd-escape 'Hallochen, Meister' Hallxc3xb6chenx2cx20Meister To undo escaping on a single string: $ systemd-escape -u 'Hallxc3xb6chenx2cx20Meister' Hallochen, Meister To generate the mount unit for a path: $ systemd-escape -p --suffix=mount "/tmp//waldi/foobar/" tmp-waldi-foobar.mount To generate instance names of three strings: $ systemd-escape --template=systemd-nspawn@.service 'My Container 1' 'containerb' 'container/III' systemd-nspawn@Myx20Containerx201.service systemd-nspawn@containerb.service systemd-nspawn@container-III.service EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.unit(5), systemctl(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-ESCAPE(1)