Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl limitations vs. bash?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl limitations vs. bash? Post 302421506 by unclecameron on Friday 14th of May 2010 12:50:11 PM
Old 05-14-2010
More and more of what I'm doing is advanced manipulation of data, so I'm using awk/sed/grep/whatever to bend my data and do things with it, I just have this nagging feeling with bash that I'm reaching the end of it's capability (and what it was intended for) and I may need to go some direction. I learned C a little bit and also python, C seemed like you had to write a lot more code (definitely just my opinion, don't know whether it's based on anything) to get a given job done. Python was nice, but I have this nagging feeling it wasn't going to scale down to bash and also up to web apps, at least not yet, though I guess there's a pretty active community hacking it right now. I like Java, but I'm not sure it has the flexibility of perl (another opinion of mine, possibly based on nothing), so I thought I'd possibly learn and use perl for a couple years, get some things done with it, and then look at python/java/whatever again. My theory is that the perl code I'd build could be made to "interface" with whatever language I may choose then, so I wouldn't lose anything, as long as I comment whatever I'm doing in my perl scripts. Feel free to correct any of my assumptions, I don't want to waste a couple of years. The comments so far have been VERY helpful, I appreciate both sides very much, it helps me make a better choice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mkdir limitations

What characters can't be used with a mkdir? Any limits on length of name? Thank you, Randy M. Zeitman http://www.StoneRoseDesign.com (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: flignar
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Sort - Limitations

Hi All, I want to sort a flat file which will contain millions of records based on a key/field. For this I want to use unix sort command and before that I want to make sure that unix sort command has any file size limitations. And also please let me know whether I have to change any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chprvkmr
2 Replies

3. AIX

SORT Command Limitations

Hi every body, On AIX 4.3.3 what is the maximum file size that can be used with sort command? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csplit limitations

I am trying to use the csplit file on a file that contains records that have more than 2048 characters on a line. The resultant split file seems to ignore the rest of the line and I lose the data. Is there any way that csplit can handle record lengths greater than 2048? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravagga
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password limitations.

I would like to set my minimum password length to on Linux and AIX. However, doing this normally would only make it so newly added users will be affected by this. I would like for when I make this change, it either truncates everyone elses password, or prompts them to change it to 8+ characters.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syndex
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

gnuplot limitations

I'm running a simulation (programmed in C) which makes calls to gnuplot periodically to plot data I have stored. First I open a pipe to gnuplot and set it to multiplot: FILE * pipe = popen("gnuplot", "w"); fprintf(pipe, "set multiplot\n"); fflush(pipe); (this pipe stays open until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedavidw
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Eth0 Limitations

Hi, I have noticed some performance issues on my RHEL5 server but the memory and CPU utilization on the box is fine. I have a 1G full duplexed eth0 card and I am suspicious that this may be causing the problem. My eth0 settings are as follows: Settings for eth0: Supported ports: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
12 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris limitations

Hi, I recently started working with Solaris, and what I noticed is that a lot of commands I used to regularly use don't work, like sed -i and grep -r. I have found work arounds for these problems though but it's a pain in the ass. I'm just wondering why they decided not to include these handy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

10. Linux

Linux partitions and limitations

In recently reading an article on linux basics before I embark and my personal installation project I came across this passage - IDE drives have three types of partition: primary, logical, and extended. The partition table is located in the master boot record (MBR) of a disk. The MBR is the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synchlavier
12 Replies
XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)

NAME
xsil2graphics - generate scripts to load xsil output data files SYNOPSIS
xsil2graphics [options] <xsil_file> DESCRIPTION
Utility program bundled with xmds, used to generate scripts that load simulation output data into either matlab (http://www.mathworks.com) or scilab (http://www.scilab.org), which are then used to manipulate the results further if necessary and then to present the results graphically. Matlab To generate a matlab m-file, from the xsil file data_file.xsil use the command: bash$ xsil2graphics data_file.xsil or bash$ xsil2graphics --matlab data_file.xsil Then at the matlab command prompt: >> data_file Scilab To generate a scilab script file, from the xsil file data_file.xsil use the command: bash$ xsil2graphics --scilab data_file.xsil Then at the scilab command prompt: --> exec('data_file.sci') OPTIONS
-m, --matlab generate matlab m-file script to load data from the xsil data file (the default option) -s, -scilab generate scilab script file to load data from the xsil data file -o, --outfile <out_file> specify an alternative output script filename to the default which is the input xsil filename with the .xsil extension changed to either .m for the matlab m-file or .sci for the scilab script file EXAMPLES
bash$ xsil2graphics nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse.m to load the data into matlab bash$ xsil2graphics -m nlse.xsil Also generates the output nlse.m but explicitly sets matlab to be the output format bash$ xsil2graphics --scilab nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse.sci to load the data into scilab bash$ xsil2graphics --outfile nlse_new.m nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse_new.m to load the data into matlab AUTHORS
Originally written by Greg Collecutt Maintained by Paul Cochrane with code contributed by Joe Hope BUGS
No known bugs. SEE ALSO
xmds(1), loadxsil(1) http://www.xmds.org COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Code contributed by Greg Collecutt, Joseph Hope and Paul Cochrane This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. perl v5.8.2 2004-06-21 XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)