Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers can I emulate solaris/sparc on virtualbox? Or other emulator to run solaris for sparc in my win7 PC? Post 302421406 by radoulov on Friday 14th of May 2010 09:07:21 AM
Old 05-14-2010
It depends on what you need to do with it. If you want to work with multiple virtual hosts/clusters etc, I would recommend VMware.

If it's only for a single guest, VirtualBox should be sufficient and less resource intensive.

I have only limited experience with Qemu.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Samba on Solaris 9, Sparc.

hi guys, This is prolly more of a dummies question, but here goes. I want to make my Ultra 5 workstation into a samba server. I have solaris 9 installed with the latest patch cluster. if I do: pkginfo | grep samba I get : # pkginfo | grep samba system SUNWsmbac ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 7 Sparc 5

First of all, I want to salute everybody. Since a week ago I put myself many troubles. :) I decide to install Solaris 7, in a sun sparcstation 5, with raid5. And I don't know almost anything about unix systems, not only Solaris. :) I want to install mysql, apache, php4. I'm not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kisoun
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 7 Sparc 5

08-11-2005, 03:23 PM I posted the below thread in UNIX for dummies Questions and Answers. I thank the guy who posted a proposition to resolve my problem. I decided to repost the problem here. Who knows :) So, here it goes: Since a week ago I put myself many troubles. I decide to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kisoun
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Solaris Sparc Apps on X86 Solaris

I know that Sun make s a version of Solaris for Sparc platforms and also an x86 (Intel/AMD) release of Solaris. Can an application that runs on Solaris/Sparc also run on a PC running the x86 release of Solaris? Would a different release be required or any re-compling of the application? jim (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stocksj
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Patch for Solaris 5.9 on sparc

IS the cluster_patch for Solaris 5.9 free to download from Sun web site, i just can't find it, please help? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 10/08 sparc + iSCSI

hi, I have installed Solaris 10 10/08 on sparc machine. I would like to configure iSCSI on that to mount SAN Volumes. Is there any need to install any additional patches for iSCSI to work. Thanks, Prashant. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashantbhushan
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 SPARC for VM Ware

Hi All, Actually i need to install solaris 10 version over VMWare which is installed over my windows machine. On that solaris version i need to install Weblogic application server, I need to know where can i download SOLARIS 10 for this and also what is the difference in SPARC and x86 version and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jain_sharad143
10 Replies

8. Solaris

How to read this Solaris version:-Solaris 8 HW 5/03 s28s_hw2wos_06a SPARC?

Hi Guys, Could you please tell me how to read this Solaris version:- Solaris 8 HW 5/03 s28s_hw2wos_06a SPARC Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
3 Replies
VMX(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    VMX(4)

NAME
vmx -- VMware VMXNET3 Virtual Interface Controller device SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device vmx Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_vmx_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The vmx driver provides support for the VMXNET3 virtual NIC available in virtual machines by VMware. It appears as a simple Ethernet device but is actually a virtual network interface to the underlying host operating system. This driver supports the VMXNET3 driver protocol, as an alternative to the emulated pcn(4), em(4) interfaces also available in the VMware environment. The vmx driver is optimized for the virtual machine, it can provide advanced capabilities depending on the underlying host operating system and the physical network interface controller of the host. The vmx driver supports features like multiqueue support, IPv6 checksum offloading, MSI/MSI-X support and hardware VLAN tagging in VMware's VLAN Guest Tagging (VGT) mode. The vmx driver supports VMXNET3 VMware virtual NICs provided by the virtual machine hardware version 7 or newer, as provided by the following products: o VMware ESX/ESXi 4.0 and newer o VMware Server 2.0 and newer o VMware Workstation 6.5 and newer o VMware Fusion 2.0 and newer For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). MULTIPLE QUEUES
The vmx driver supports multiple transmit and receive queues. Multiple queues are only supported by certain VMware products, such as ESXi. The number of queues allocated depends on the presence of MSI-X, the number of configured CPUs, and the tunables listed below. FreeBSD does not enable MSI-X support on VMware by default. The hw.pci.honor_msi_blacklist tunable must be disabled to enable MSI-X support. LOADER TUNABLES
Tunables can be set at the loader(8) prompt before booting the kernel or stored in loader.conf(5). hw.vmx.txnqueue hw.vmx.X.txnqueue Maximum number of transmit queues allocated by default by the driver. The default value is 8. The maximum supported by the VMXNET3 virtual NIC is 8. hw.vmx.rxnqueue hw.vmx.X.rxnqueue Maximum number of receive queues allocated by default by the driver. The default value is 8. The maximum supported by the VMXNET3 virtual NIC is 16. hw.vmx.txndesc hw.vmx.X.txndesc Number of transmit descriptors allocated by the driver. The default value is 512. The value must be a multiple of 32, and the maxi- mum is 4096. hw.vmx.rxndesc hw.vmx.X.rxndesc Number of receive descriptors per ring allocated by the driver. The default value is 256. The value must be a multiple of 32, and the maximum is 2048. There are two rings so the actual usage is doubled. EXAMPLES
The following entry must be added to the VMware configuration file to provide the vmx device: ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3" SEE ALSO
altq(4), arp(4), em(4), netintro(4), ng_ether(4), pcn(4), vlan(4), ifconfig(8) AUTHORS
The vmx driver was ported from OpenBSD and significantly rewritten by Bryan Venteicher <bryanv@freebsd.org>. The OpenBSD driver was written by Tsubai Masanari. BSD
March 17, 2014 BSD