Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help needed with script.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed with script. Post 302421359 by clx on Friday 14th of May 2010 07:16:01 AM
Old 05-14-2010
1) What do you mean by "$OUTPUT_FILE -gt 0" ?
In this way, you are just comparing the value of the variable ( i.e the path of the filename) with zero. which is wrong.
I guess, you want to compare the size of the file.

2) ">>" means you are appending to the file instead creating new file. if there is already existing file with that name, your count may go wrong.

3) [ ] itself used as a test operator. so no need of explicitly use of mentioning test keyword.

4) There is one useless use of cat too.

Try something like:

Code:
LOG_FILE=/var/adm/messages
export LOG_FILE
OUTPUT_FILE=/tmp/logerrors
export OUTPUT_FILE
grep -i error $LOG_FILE| wc -l > $OUTPUT_FILE
if [ -s "$OUTPUT_FILE" ];
then
        echo "Subject: BACKUP FAILED" >> $OUTPUT_FILE
        mailx  -s "BACKUP FAILED" johndoe@test.com < $OUTPUT_FILE
else
        mailx  -s "Sucessful RMAN backup" johndoe@test.com
fi

Last edited by clx; 05-14-2010 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: some formating
This User Gave Thanks to clx For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed

Hi I am looking for the script which can move 1month old data from a TXT file.actully in this file data is appended on daily basis.pleasehalp me out. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpandey
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script help needed

I have a code given below... ERROR=`grep "Job Status" ${LOG_FILE}` ERROR=${ERROR##*\(} ERROR=${ERROR%%\)*} if then echo "The job completed successfully" EXIT_STATUS=0 else echo "The job failed" EXIT_STATUS=1 fi can anybody tell me what is ERROR=${ERROR##*\(}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sagarddd
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

script needed

hi i am new to linux world please help me,i have two files in diff location i need to compare both and i need to see difference b/w them ex /media/txt (file1) xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx /media/rev/ (file2) rev is a folder which contains some files so i need to compare the files in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: revenna
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed for a script!!

Hi!! Im new to shell scripting. I have an important assignment to complete in my company tomorrow. Please help me. I have to write an interactive script which does the following thing: There is a file named ""rules"in a folder say /home/f1/ . This file contains text in the form: 123 345... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul195
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed in Sh script

hi, Im trying to select from a sql using shell script and once i get count i need to add the count to the subject line and send mail to every1.. ex : Select count(*) from emp; In Shell script echo $PASSWORD|$ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus $USERID@$DBNAME @$SCRIPT_DIR/emp_count.sql... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkumsi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script help needed- script failing if router unavailable

Hey all. Sometimes I'm tasked to change some router configs for the entire network (over 3,000 Cisco routers). Most of the time its a global config parameter so its done with a loop and an IP list as its the same configuration change for all routers. This is working OK. However, sometimes an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkz1974
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help in script needed

Hi, I am developing a script for writing out the failed jobs in file, 1)First step i need to create an empty file Status with today's date. 2)After that i need to execute the below command: dsjob -server servername -user uname -password pwd -ljobs projectname This will listout all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed for script

Hi, I have a big list like this --> 3285 3289 328D 3291 3295 3299 329D 32A1 I need to make it like --> 3285|3289|328D|3291|3295|3299|329D|32A1 Please suggest. This is Linux OS. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed on Script

Hi team, I am looking to execute some command through xargs. $cat testfile | grep myloc alias myloc='cd /export/nfs-1sv-23/' I am trying to execute that alias as soon as i cat and grep ? I tried with $cat testfile | grep myloc | xargs --> no luck ... Can some one assist me with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsme488
6 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help needed for a script

TAG flow Between SDR and DELTA SDR is the Source table. Delta is the target table having one staging table and one Main table. Tags flows between SDR and Delta through ER gateway. From SDR (SDR.CUSTOMER_PRODUCT and SDR.CUSTOMER_PRODUCT_RELATIONSHIP) the Tags flows to ER... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patitapaban
2 Replies
PERLUTS(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						PERLUTS(1)

NAME
perluts - Perl under UTS SYNOPSIS
This document can be read as is: as README.uts, or you can read it after you build your package using "man perluts". The purpose is to help you build Perl for UTS, which, if you follow these instructions, should be easy, and result in a solidly working installation. DESCRIPTION
Perl 5.7.2 (Developmental) or Perl 5.8.x (forthcoming) for UTS BUILDING PERL ON UTS
NOTE: Some sites have redefined the way uname works, and if yours does this, special steps must be taken so that Configure can recognize your system as a UTS system. To see if you are in this category, issue the command "uname -a". It should look something like: uts juno 4 4.4 9672 370 At any rate, the first field should be "uts". If this is not the case; supposing it is, say telcoUTS, create a script, uts/uname (i.e. uname, in the subdirectory "uts" of the main Perl source dir): # uname /usr/bin/uname "$@" | sed -e 's/^telcoUTS/uts/' and when you execute Configure, do it as below, except for adding PATH=uts:$PATH as a prefix. I.e. do: PATH=uts:$PATH ./Configure ... There is no need to do an interactive configure, just type ./Configure -de [-Dusedevel] [-Doptimize=-g ] 2>&1 | tee Conf.out "-Dusedevel" may be required to configure Perl 5.7.2 non-interactively. Use -Doptimize=-g if you want to run Perl under sdb or gdb, OR if you want to be able to use the -D command line flags to perl, which are occasionally useful in debugging perl scripts. In this and the following steps, the "2>&1 | tee XXX.out" records all output from the process, which will be useful if anything unexpected goes wrong. Then do the compilation with make 2>&1 | tee make.out Finally, test using make test 2>&1 | tee make-test.out In the output, the only failures you should see should look like: lib/Math/BigInt/t/bigfltpm.........Use of uninitialized value ... FAILED at test 57 lib/Math/BigInt/t/bigintc..........ok lib/Math/BigInt/t/bigintpm.........FAILED at test 204 lib/Math/BigInt/t/mbimbf...........Use of uninitialized value ... Illegal division by zero at ../lib/Math/BigInt/Calc.pm line 314. FAILED at test 71 lib/Math/Complex...................exp: OVERFLOW FAILED at test 250 lib/Math/Trig......................exp: OVERFLOW ok lib/Memoize/t/array................ok ... lib/Net/protoent...................ok lib/Net/servent....................FAILED at test 0 This means that everything passes except for some problems in the packages "Math::BigInt", "Math::Complex", and "Math::Trig". The lib/Net/servent failure seems to be a bug in the test program. To confirm this, from the main Perl source dir, do: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` ./perl -Ilib lib/Net/servent.t and it should output 1..3 ok 1 ok 2 ok 3 Installing the built perl on UTS Run the command "make install" AUTHOR
Hal Morris UTS Global LLC email: hom00@utsglobal.com perl v5.14.2 2010-12-30 PERLUTS(1)