Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting a substring from a string in unix Post 302421242 by arunkumarmc on Friday 14th of May 2010 12:33:56 AM
Old 05-14-2010
Thanks Amit.

In my case, when i try to find the files in a directory and assign it to a variable using this command -
Code:
listfiles=`find . -name "*sh" -newer TODAY`
echo $listfiles

i get the output as below -

Code:
./file_check.sh
./check.sh

When i try either of the below commands -
Code:
echo "listfiles "| cut -d '/' -f2

or
Code:
echo "listfiles " | awk -F"/" ' { print $2 } '

the output i am getting is - file_check.sh .

I should get file_check.sh checkfile.sh

Could you please help me in this?

Regards
Arun

Last edited by zaxxon; 05-14-2010 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: use code tags please, ty

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, awk, regex -- extracting a matched substring from a file/string

Ok, I'm stumped and can't seem to find relevant info. (I'm not even sure, I might have asked something similar before.): I'm trying to use shell scripting/UNIX commands to extract URLs from a fairly large web page, with a view to ultimately wrapping this in PHP with exec() and including the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a substring starting from last occurance of a string/character

Hi All, This is Ram. I'm new to this forum & new to shell scripts as well. I've a requirement in which I want to extract a substring from a given string based on last occurance of a character. for eg. I have a string of a file name with absolute path like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krramkumar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting substring from a file name

hi i need to name a file with a substring of a another file name. i.e. if the old filename is abc.txt , the new filename should be abc_1.txt i should get the substring of the file name and then name the new one please let me know how to do it (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityamahi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a substring from a string in UNIX

Hi all. I need help with a command to locate a substring from a string. My problem is I am passing a direcotry name as a command line argument and I need to ensure that user should not pass certain directories. E.g ther are Directories under ==> /opt/projects/* which should not be passed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veenak15
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring from string

Hi awk and sed gurus, Please help me in the following. I have the following entries in the file ABCDErules AbHDPrules ABCrules -- -- and other entries in the file. Now, I want to extract from the file that contain entries for *rules and process it separately. How can i do it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring

Hi, I have string in variable like '/u/dolfin/in/DOLFIN.PRL_100.OIB.TLU.001.D20110520.T040010' and i want to conevrt this string into only "DOLFIN.PRL_100.OIB.TLU.001.D20110520.T040010" (i.e file name). Is there any command to extracting string in some part ?(rather than whole path)? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamu544
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in extracting the substring in UNIX

Hi all, I need to extract the "abcdef" from the below string Digital_abcdef_20130103.txt.gz The length of the "abcdef" will be changing but it will be always after the word Digital_ and before the second underscore help in this regard is highly appreciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rithushri
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on extracting a substring from the input string

Hi, I am new to Unix. I am trying to extract a substring from an input string: Ex - input string: deploy_v11_9_1 i want to extract and store the value v11_9_1 from the input string in a new variable. I am using following command in my shell script file: echo "Enter the folder name u... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranav Bhasker
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring from variable

Hi All, I'm facing issue wherein I have 2 character string like 'CR' and 'DR' and I want to extract just 1st character but am unable to do it. I tried below options but they are returning me 2nd character only, var="CR" echo ${var:1} returns just "R" echo ${var:0} returns "CR" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindshukla81
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
EVAL(3) 								 1								   EVAL(3)

eval - Evaluate a string as PHP code

SYNOPSIS
mixed eval (string $code) DESCRIPTION
Evaluates the given $code as PHP. Caution The eval(3) language construct is very dangerous because it allows execution of arbitrary PHP code. Its use thus is discouraged. If you have carefully verified that there is no other option than to use this construct, pay special attention not to pass any user provided data into it without properly validating it beforehand. PARAMETERS
o $code - Valid PHP code to be evaluated. The code mustn't be wrapped in opening and closing PHP tags, i.e. 'echo "Hi!";' must be passed instead of '<? echo "Hi!"; >'. It is still possible to leave and reenter PHP mode though using the appropriate PHP tags, e.g. 'echo "In PHP mode!"; ?>In HTML mode!<? echo "Back in PHP mode!";'. Apart from that the passed code must be valid PHP. This includes that all statements must be properly terminated using a semicolon. 'echo "Hi!"' for example will cause a parse error, whereas 'echo "Hi!";' will work. A return statement will immediately terminate the evaluation of the code. The code will be exe- cuted in the scope of the code calling eval(3). Thus any variables defined or changed in the eval(3) call will remain visible after it terminates. RETURN VALUES
eval(3) returns NULL unless return is called in the evaluated code, in which case the value passed to return is returned. If there is a parse error in the evaluated code, eval(3) returns FALSE and execution of the following code continues normally. It is not possible to catch a parse error in eval(3) using set_error_handler(3). EXAMPLES
Example #1 eval(3) example - simple text merge <?php $string = 'cup'; $name = 'coffee'; $str = 'This is a $string with my $name in it.'; echo $str. " "; eval("$str = "$str";"); echo $str. " "; ?> The above example will output: This is a $string with my $name in it. This is a cup with my coffee in it. NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. Tip As with anything that outputs its result directly to the browser, the output-control functions can be used to capture the output of this function, and save it in a string (for example). Note In case of a fatal error in the evaluated code, the whole script exits. SEE ALSO
call_user_func(3). PHP Documentation Group EVAL(3)