Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Update a specific line in a file while reading sequentially Post 302421215 by bharath.gct on Thursday 13th of May 2010 09:23:01 PM
Old 05-13-2010
Thanks,

I tried using the variable instead of the text itself like:

Code:
mask_text="SERVER/USERNAME,PASSWORD"
sed 's#$line#$mask_text#' input.file

This does not change anything in the input file. Also as part of the output I got the whole input file in the terminal which is kind of breaks everything that I am trying to achieve. I need to mask the logon details with NO one seeing any messages of the same!!!

Also when I give the text itself, it does not update the file rather it shows the updated file contents in the terminal.

Please help!

Last edited by bharath.gct; 05-13-2010 at 10:29 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading specific line from file

Hi all... I not a expert unix script programmer, Kindly adjust. My requirement is that, i have a file which contains the about 10 lines - say 1 2 3 ... 8 war of the worlds: => text in this line 9 9000,80,78,77,334,445 => this line contains some numbers separted by commas 10 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool_boss2121
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a specific line in a loop

Hello All, Request you to let me know how to do the below urgently.. Requirement File A Contains: for i in file A DEV1 DEV5 STG1 STG5 File B Contains: for j in file B DEV1 DEV5 STG1 STG5 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushikraman
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

hello, I have got the following problem that I am hoping someone can help with please. 1. I have got the following text file (below) , the columns data are 'Test Day', 'Board', 'Betting Number'. TEXT FILE ============================================ 1 3 02-01-27-28-29-30 0 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

Hello, I have a problem which is giving me headache for days, can some please help. Please see code and text fiel below. Please see text in red for the problem I am facing # Program gets an input x from user while read line ; do echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a specific line from a file

Hi All, I am having 100 lines a text file say a.txt. I want read the 'nth' line from that file inside a script. Kindly tell us how to that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopathyvasagam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update specific field in a line of text file

I have a text file like this: subject1:LecturerA:10 subject2:LecturerA:40 if I was given string in column 1 and 2 (which are subject 1 and LecturerA) , i need to update 3rd field of that line containing that given string , which is, number 10 need to be updated to 100 ,for example. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmtoan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update specific value in file with match and add +1 to specific digit

I am trying to use awk to match the NM_ in file with $1 of id which is tab-delimited. The NM_ will always be in the line of file that starts with > and be after the second _. When there is a match between each NM_ and id, then the value of $2 in id is substituted or used to update the NM_. Each NM_... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
ul(1)								   User Commands							     ul(1)

NAME
ul - do underlining SYNOPSIS
ul [-i] [-t terminal] [filename]... DESCRIPTION
ul reads the named filenames (or the standard input if none are given) and translates occurrences of underscores to the sequence which indicates underlining for the terminal in use, as specified by the environment variable TERM. ul uses the /usr/share/lib/terminfo entry to determine the appropriate sequences for underlining. If the terminal is incapable of underlining, but is capable of a standout mode then that is used instead. If the terminal can overstrike, or handles underlining automatically, ul degenerates to cat(1). If the terminal can- not underline, underlining is ignored. OPTIONS
-t terminal Override the terminal kind specified in the environment. If the terminal cannot underline, underlining is ignored. If the terminal name is not found, no underlining is attempted. -i Indicate underlining by a separate line containing appropriate dashes `-'; this is useful when you want to look at the underlining which is present in an nroff(1) output stream on a CRT-terminal. RETURN VALUES
ul returns exit code 1 if the file specified is not found. FILES
/usr/share/lib/terminfo/* ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cat(1), man(1), nroff(1), attributes(5) BUGS
nroff usually generates a series of backspaces and underlines intermixed with the text to indicate underlining. ul makes attempt to opti- mize the backward motion. SunOS 5.11 17 Mar 1994 ul(1)