Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Control Number of Processes Running Post 302421205 by Scott on Thursday 13th of May 2010 07:44:47 PM
Old 05-13-2010
Hi.

You could use wait.

Quote:
(csh man page) The wait builtin command causes the shell to wait for all background jobs to complete.
i.e.
Code:
% date; sleep 20 &; sleep 5 &; wait; date
[1] 29009
[2] 29010
Fri 14 May 2010 01:41:51 CEST
Fri 14 May 2010 01:42:11 CEST
[2]  + Done                          sleep 5
[1]  + Done                          ( date; sleep 20 )

(in a good shell (i.e. not csh), you have better options for job control!)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determine Number of Processes Running

I am pretty new to unix, and I have a project to do. Part of the project asks me to determine the number of processes running and assign it to a variable. I know how to every part of the project but determine the number of processes running. How can I get just the number of processes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wayne1411
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keep a certain number of background processes running

I've got a bit of code I'm trying to work on... What i want to happen is ... at all times have four parallel mysql dump and imports running. I found the follow code snippet on the forum and modified it to work by starting four concurrent processes but it waits until all four are done before... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgob123
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with running processes script

I'm doing a script with the Shell. I need that it only show the number of running processes. Ex: echo "There are `command` running processes" Thnx! Pd: Sorry the idiom. I'm spanish. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikebana
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in running two processes in parellel

I have a script something like this: #!/usr/bin/ksh CLASSPATH=/apps/opt/db2udb/admin/db2bdt/sqllib/java/db2java.zip:/apps/opt/db2udb/admin/db2bdt/sqllib/java/db2jcc.jar:/apps/opt/db2udb/admin/db2bdt/sqllib/function:$CLASSPATH export CLASSPATH ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you print the number of processes that each user is currently running in Unix?

Ok, so I know there's a way to do this, but I've been trying to find out all afternoon with no luck. I think it should print out something like this: 1 bin 2 daemon 6 duo Where the numbers on the left are the number of processes being run by the user whose name is listed on the right. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duo11
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know the running processes.

Hi can anybody help me regarding this.. i want know the output of ps -ef with explanation. how can we know the running processess. this is the output of ps -elf F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD 19 T root 0 0 0 0 SY ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajesh_pola
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Running processes on GZ/LZ

Hi guys just a question is it normal to see running process on a non-global zone in the global zone... processes such as cron. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: batas
3 Replies

8. Linux

Running processes

Hi guys is it normal to have 5-10 cron/syslog processes running... in my case i got 10 cron process running. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: batas
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I find the number of processes running on root?

Is there a certain man command I'm missing here? I searched in ps but I couldn't find something that would give me the number of processes running on root. I only want to see the number of processes, not the processes itself. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l3monz
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Many processes running at the same time

Hello everybody , I launched cron to execute a task every hour but the job takes more than hour that's why I'm getting more than 1000 cron processes running at the same time !!! My question is how to tell cron not to execute unless the job terminated in order to have only one process running .... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: beautymind
14 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep utility suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. It is usually used to schedule the execution of other commands (see EXAMPLES below). Note: The NetBSD sleep command will accept and honor a non-integer number of specified seconds. This is a non-portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. When the SIGINFO signal is received, the estimate of the amount of seconds left to sleep is printed on the standard output. EXIT STATUS
The sleep utility exits with one of the following values: 0 On successful completion, or if the signal SIGALRM was received. >0 An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for 1800 seconds later: (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait half an hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (*.rawdata) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. SEE ALSO
at(1), nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
August 13, 2011 BSD