Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: error running shell script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting error running shell script Post 302421202 by methyl on Thursday 13th of May 2010 07:19:33 PM
Old 05-13-2010
Code:
for i in `cat diffs.txt`
do
printer="$(awk -F: '{ print $1 }' | cut -c 11-18 diffs.txt)"
echo $printer
done

Back to the beginning of the script. Correction to my previous post after trying a different shell and using your sample data.
Code:
device for 0117bd1: lpd://172.25.29.60:515
device for 2201bl7: socket://172.25.11.170:9100
device for 5001bl1: lpd://172.25.11.203:515

The output is twelve identical lines:
Code:
0117bd1 2201bl7 5001bl1
0117bd1 2201bl7 5001bl1
0117bd1 2201bl7 5001bl1
0117bd1 2201bl7 5001bl1
0117bd1 2201bl7 5001bl1
0117bd1 2201bl7 5001bl1
0117bd1 2201bl7 5001bl1
0117bd1 2201bl7 5001bl1
0117bd1 2201bl7 5001bl1
0117bd1 2201bl7 5001bl1
0117bd1 2201bl7 5001bl1
0117bd1 2201bl7 5001bl1

The reason there are 12 lines is because $i contains the entire contents of diffs.txt without the line terminators. There are twelve distinct space-separated elements. The variable $i is not referred to at all in the script so all that happens is the "printer=" line is executed 12 times. I cannot explain how the "printer=" line outputs anything but when inside a shell script it does.

Code:
Anyway the "for" loop is not required or desirable.
If we remove the loop completely and make sure that awk has a filename parameter, it now works:

printer="$(awk -F: '{ print $1 }' diffs.txt | cut -c 11-18)"
echo $printer

0117bd1 2201bl7 5001bl1

Okay, we now have the (unchanged) situation where $printer contains 3 printer names. This is not desirable when we look at the contents of f_Create.

Suggest you change the "printer=" line above to use a different variable name (e.g. "printer_list="), then look at where you want a list against where you want a single printer.

The f_Create function contains "read printer". This overwrites the variable $printer. The "read printer" line is not required - it is probably what is hanging the script because the input channel is already tied up with the "for" loop.
Further correction: The shell "read" statements conflict with the "for" loop. I think this script needs a redesign.

Footnote. To answer your earlier question it would be possible to automate the whole process but only if your diffs.txt file contains all the information in (which it does not) in a suitably delimeted format.

Last edited by methyl; 05-13-2010 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Futher correction

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

error in running shell script in cron

#!/bin/bash CLASSPATH=. #CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:${INSTALL_PATH}home/squidlog/CopyFile.java CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:${INSTALL_PATH}usr/java/latest/lib/*.jar javac CopyFile.java echo "CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH" #home/wbiadmin/JRE1.4.2/j2re1.4.2_15/bin/java CopyFile /usr/bin/java... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sari
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Running from Shell Vs running from RC script

Hi, i have a script which need to do behave differently when run as a startup process from init.d/ rc2.d script and when run manually from shell. How do i distinguish whether my script is run by init process or by shell?? Will the command /proc/$$/psinfo | grep "myscript" work well???... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while running as shell script

Storage_Unit=`du -h /var/spool/cron/root|awk '{print $1}'|sed -e "s/^.*\(.\)$/\1/"` If then Size=`du -h /var/spool/cron/root|awk '{print $1}'|sed 's/.\{1\}$//'` for Size_rounded_number in $(printf %.0f $Size); do ROUNDED_Size=$Size_rounded_number done if #setting a threshold of say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

`(' unexpected error when running a shell script in AIX

Hi, We are moving from linux to AIX servers, and as a result testing our scripts on the new platform. When I run one of our scripts, I get the following error message: ./branchDataUpdate.sh: syntax error at line 21 : `(' unexpected Following is an extract from the script: ...... ........ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dawgfather80
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script running command in different shell

Hi All, Is there any way where we can run few commands with different shell in a shell script ? Let's have an example below, My first line in script reads below, #!/bin/sh However due to some limitation of "/bin/sh" shell I wanted to use "/bin/bash" while executing few... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Launcher Error: while running shell script

Hi Experts, I have a shell script which used to take oracle database backup, which is scheduled in a tidal scheduling tool. however it is throwing an error while triggering the job and getting below error in the log file. "Launcher Error: This is an internal function" shell script is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: UnniVKN
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Error during running sqlplus command from shell script in Solaris

I am using following code to connect to oracle database from solaris shell script. which will try thrice to connect the database ...at the 4rth atempt it will exir=t. count=0 while ; do sqlplus -s $usrname/$password@dbSID <<-EOF | tee $logfile WHENEVER OSERROR EXIT 9; WHENEVER SQLERROR... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing shell from a script and running something from the new shell

Hi We use "tcsh" shell . We do the following steps manually: > exec ssh-agent zsh > python "heloo.py" (in the zsh shell) I am trying to do the steps above from a shell script This is what I have so far echo "Executing " exec ssh-agent zsh python "hello.py" exit 0 Problem is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman82
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp not working in shell script but running perfectly from shell

Dear All, I have script. Dest="" IFS=' ' for translation in $(echo $MY_MAP) do t1=$(echo $translation | cut -d"=" -f1) t2=$(echo $translation | cut -d"=" -f2| cut -d"," -f1) if then Dest=$UNX/$u_product_path/$u_study_path/$UNXTR/$t2 break; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while running Procedure in shell script

Hi All, I am running the below proc in unix by connecting through sqlplus and the procedure is completing successfully. But when i am trying to run through shell scripting by using function. I am getting the error as follows. Please guide me where I am going wrong. #!/bin/sh opera () {... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
6 Replies
DIRECTOMATIC(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   DIRECTOMATIC(1)

NAME
directomatic - Print without spooler SYNOPSIS
directomatic -P <printdef> [-J jobtitle] [-o option=value [...]] [file] DESCRIPTION
Directomatic is a filter script to print with free software printer drivers without the need of a print spooler. It is designed to be used together with a Foomatic printer definition file. Options -P <printdef> where printdef is the printer definition file to use. -J <jobtitle> where job title will be printed in the head line of every page of a plain text job. -o option=value Set an arbitrary option. file The file to print. Commands Directomatic will print from standard input unless a file to print is specified on the command line. If your printer definition file is in /etc/foomatic/direct or ~/.foomatic/direct you do not need to specify its path. Put a (instructions in the file) to redirect the output of directomatic to your printer instead of standard output. To make normal users able to print this way add them to group lp and make sure the appropriate printer device file /dev/lpX is group-writable. See http://www.linuxprinting.org/direct-doc.html FILES
/etc/foomatic/direct/<queue> The foomatic printer definition file. EXIT STATUS
directomatic returns 0 unless something unexpected happens. AUTHOR
Manfred Wassmann <manolo@NCC-1701.B.Shuttle.de> for the foomatic project using output from the associated binary. BUGS
None so far. Foomatic Project 2001-05-07 DIRECTOMATIC(1)