Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting numbers from a String Post 302421161 by Renegade on Thursday 13th of May 2010 03:08:07 PM
Old 05-13-2010
Hi I'm new to unix scripting myself. I learned how to do this the other day, here goes:

Assuming you have assigned the string to a variable:

Code:
x="170 unique conformations found"

You can get the numerical part and assign it to the variable y with:

Code:
y=${x%%unique conformations found}

Test:

Code:
echo $y

I hope this helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting numbers from strings

Hello all, I am being dumb with this and I know there is a simple solution. I have a file with the follwing lines bc stuff (more)...............123 bc stuffagain (moretoo)............0 bc stuffyetagain (morehere)......34 failed L3 thing..............1 failed this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gobi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error extracting 1 or more numbers with expr command

Need help with the following, I want to extract the digits from the following file pattern using the expr command. digits are in the range 1-99 Tried two different methods, not sure what I am doing wrong. file1=file1.dbf file10=file10.dbf Works for expr "$file10" : '.*\(\)' 10 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fire!
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting numbers and multipling

Hi All, I have searched the forum but couldn't find exactly what I need. Hopefully someone may be able to help. I'm trying to put a script together that will extract numbers from a text file and multiply them by, for example 1.5 or 1.2 Sample file looks like this...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: speedfreak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting numbers from a string

Hello Everyone, i have quick question. I have file names like: bin_map300.asc and I would like to extract grid300. My approach so far: name=bin_map300.asc echo ${name%%.*} echo ${name##*_} I am stuck combining the two. Any help would be appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: creamcheese
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting formatted text and numbers

Hello, I have a file of text and numbers from which I want to extract certain fields and write it to a new file. I would use awk but unfortunately the input data isn't always formatted into the correct columns. I am using tcsh. For example, given the following data I want to extract: and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DFr0st
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help on extracting the numbers out of top command

Hi guys, Any easy way to generate a CSV file that contains only the numbers out of the following lines? load averages: 15.09, 12.89, 11.76 03:39:22 999 processes: 854 sleeping, 2 running, 122 zombie, 5 stopped, 16 on cpu Memory: 32G real, 17G free, 18G swap in use, 15G swap free ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting non-zero pairs of numbers from each row

Hi all, I do have a tab delimited file a1 a2 b1 b2 c1 c2 d1 d2 e1 e2 f1 f2 0 0 123 546 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 345 456 765 890 902 1003 0 0 0 0 534 768 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 456 765 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 12 102 0 0 0 0 456 578 789 1003 678 765 345 400 801 1003 134 765... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help extracting single instance of numbers which repeat

Hi, the title isn't very descriptive but it'll be easier to explain what I need if I write out the coordinates from which I need to extract certain information: ATOM 2521 C MAM X 61 44.622 49.357 12.584 1.00 0.00 C ATOM 2522 H MAM X 61 43.644 49.102 12.205 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting numbers

Hi I am part of a academic organization and I want to send a fax to the students however there must be a quicker way to get the fax numbers extracted from the online forms they sent me. The file looks like this (numbers are fake in order to protect identity): Biochemistry Major Michael... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed extracting numbers

I have number 192.168.21.8. I want to extract from this number with sed 21 and 8 to variables a and b. Any Ideas? I did like 's/\(192.168.\)/ /' but its wrong :( (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
6 Replies
StringLabels(3o)						   OCaml library						  StringLabels(3o)

NAME
StringLabels - String operations. Module Module StringLabels Documentation Module StringLabels : sig end String operations. val length : string -> int Return the length (number of characters) of the given string. val get : string -> int -> char String.get s n returns character number n in string s . The first character is character number 0. The last character is character number String.length s - 1 . You can also write s.[n] instead of String.get s n . Raise Invalid_argument index out of bounds if n is outside the range 0 to (String.length s - 1) . val set : string -> int -> char -> unit String.set s n c modifies string s in place, replacing the character number n by c . You can also write s.[n] <- c instead of String.set s n c . Raise Invalid_argument index out of bounds if n is outside the range 0 to (String.length s - 1) . val create : int -> string String.create n returns a fresh string of length n . The string initially contains arbitrary characters. Raise Invalid_argument if n < 0 or n > Sys.max_string_length . val make : int -> char -> string String.make n c returns a fresh string of length n , filled with the character c . Raise Invalid_argument if n < 0 or n > Sys.max_string_length . val copy : string -> string Return a copy of the given string. val sub : string -> pos:int -> len:int -> string String.sub s start len returns a fresh string of length len , containing the characters number start to start + len - 1 of string s . Raise Invalid_argument if start and len do not designate a valid substring of s ; that is, if start < 0 , or len < 0 , or start + len > StringLabels.length s . val fill : string -> pos:int -> len:int -> char -> unit String.fill s start len c modifies string s in place, replacing the characters number start to start + len - 1 by c . Raise Invalid_argu- ment if start and len do not designate a valid substring of s . val blit : src:string -> src_pos:int -> dst:string -> dst_pos:int -> len:int -> unit String.blit src srcoff dst dstoff len copies len characters from string src , starting at character number srcoff , to string dst , start- ing at character number dstoff . It works correctly even if src and dst are the same string, and the source and destination chunks overlap. Raise Invalid_argument if srcoff and len do not designate a valid substring of src , or if dstoff and len do not designate a valid sub- string of dst . val concat : sep:string -> string list -> string String.concat sep sl concatenates the list of strings sl , inserting the separator string sep between each. val iter : f:(char -> unit) -> string -> unit String.iter f s applies function f in turn to all the characters of s . It is equivalent to f s.[0]; f s.[1]; ...; f s.[String.length s - 1]; () . val escaped : string -> string Return a copy of the argument, with special characters represented by escape sequences, following the lexical conventions of Objective Caml. If there is no special character in the argument, return the original string itself, not a copy. val index : string -> char -> int String.index s c returns the position of the leftmost occurrence of character c in string s . Raise Not_found if c does not occur in s . val rindex : string -> char -> int String.rindex s c returns the position of the rightmost occurrence of character c in string s . Raise Not_found if c does not occur in s . val index_from : string -> int -> char -> int Same as StringLabels.index , but start searching at the character position given as second argument. String.index s c is equivalent to String.index_from s 0 c . val rindex_from : string -> int -> char -> int Same as StringLabels.rindex , but start searching at the character position given as second argument. String.rindex s c is equivalent to String.rindex_from s (String.length s - 1) c . val contains : string -> char -> bool String.contains s c tests if character c appears in the string s . val contains_from : string -> int -> char -> bool String.contains_from s start c tests if character c appears in the substring of s starting from start to the end of s . Raise Invalid_argument if start is not a valid index of s . val rcontains_from : string -> int -> char -> bool String.rcontains_from s stop c tests if character c appears in the substring of s starting from the beginning of s to index stop . Raise Invalid_argument if stop is not a valid index of s . val uppercase : string -> string Return a copy of the argument, with all lowercase letters translated to uppercase, including accented letters of the ISO Latin-1 (8859-1) character set. val lowercase : string -> string Return a copy of the argument, with all uppercase letters translated to lowercase, including accented letters of the ISO Latin-1 (8859-1) character set. val capitalize : string -> string Return a copy of the argument, with the first character set to uppercase. val uncapitalize : string -> string Return a copy of the argument, with the first character set to lowercase. type t = string An alias for the type of strings. val compare : t -> t -> int The comparison function for strings, with the same specification as Pervasives.compare . Along with the type t , this function compare allows the module String to be passed as argument to the functors Set.Make and Map.Make . OCamldoc 2012-06-26 StringLabels(3o)