Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nfsd
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users nfsd Post 302421024 by methyl on Thursday 13th of May 2010 08:04:50 AM
Old 05-13-2010
The "glance" program has more options which help find bottlenecks.
Press ? to get the menu or start glance with the option "e.g. glance -t".

In your case these should help:

w (swap activity)
t (system tables) Need to see all pages of this.
m (memory)
B (Global waits)
N (NFS)

First impressions are that you are short of memory but the above glance options should show an overview of what is happening. If you have pseudo-swap configured this can skew the memory figures.

BTW. The vmstat would mean more if we knew the sampling interval (i.e. the command line you typed).

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

nfsd won't start at boot up

Hi Inexplicably, nfsd no longer starts automatically on our Sun boxes running Solaris 9, so that 'automount' no longer functions automatically. The problem first manifested itself when we could not access files on any of the nfs automounted directories in our LAN after one of the servers (say... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcshungu
19 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

don't have nfsd mount point in /proc/fs/nfsd

hi guys I installed NFS server and everything started out fine but I don't have /proc/fs/nfsd entry and so I can't mount nfsd. Therefore I can't start my nfs service. Why don't I have /proc/fs/nfsd? How do I create that? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alirezan
1 Replies

3. AIX

portmap and nfsd

Hello, what is the relation between portmap and nfsd and how communication between them looks like. Does the nfsclient contact with the portmap or nfsd first. Many thanks in advance for helping me to understand this :) BR, p (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitmod
3 Replies

4. BSD

NFSD under OpenBSD

Hi all, I am having a following problem. Trying to run PXE boot server on my OpenBSD machine I have ended up on making NFSd daemon works. On all machines I get an error msg. nfsd : nfsd count is invalid: (null) no matter what computer I run it on. Everything works just well on FreeBSD and linux.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smoofy
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

NFSd command utilizing more cpu

Hi, I see following 'nfsd' command is using more CPU. Could someone please comment on it's pros and cons of it? CPU TTY PID USERNAME PRI NI SIZE RES STATE TIME %WCPU %CPU COMMAND 5 ? 16890 root 152 20 34696K 12036K run 57166:48 856.13 854.64 nfsd OS -- HP-UX One... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
4 Replies

6. Slackware

NFSd problem

Hi. Using debian 8.0 on a raspberryPI SERVER, accessing nfs from another raspberry gives quick reply. But from a slackware 14.1 SERVER on a Celeron 2Ghz dual core, is painfully slow and i cannot figure out why. Can anyone guide me? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dimples
2 Replies
remote_nfs_swap(5)						File Formats Manual						remote_nfs_swap(5)

NAME
remote_nfs_swap - enable swapping across NFS VALUES
Default Allowed values DESCRIPTION
This tunable controls adding a NFS filesystem for use as swap. If is set to only local filesystems and devices can be used for swap. If it is set to both local and networked file systems can be used for swap. Historically, this tunable was used in NFS clusters that are no longer supported, but this capability has not yet been removed. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect on the next boot. When Should the Tunable Be Turned On? Almost never. As previously mentioned, this tunable was designed for systems which are not in use today. Only systems with extremely robust NFS capabilities should even consider using NFS for swap. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable On? If the value is set to and a NFS partition is added as swap, then some kernel memory will be set aside for NFS transactions to the swap file system. The kernel will then use the NFS swap partition just the same as a local file system. If the NFS capabilities of the system are not robust, this could lead to extremely long swap times (both swap in and swap out), and possibly a loss of memory because all the reserved memory and more could be used by NFS (just when memory pressure is high) causing the need for swap. When Should the Tunable Be Turned Off? Unless you are positive that the NFS system can handle the load of being used as swap, and does not have a local file system or disk drive to spare, this tunable should be set to What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable Off? Any previously defined NFS swap filesystems will no longer be allowed. Kernel memory will not be reserved for NFS transactions due to swap. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters remote_nfs_swap(5)