Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl limitations vs. bash?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl limitations vs. bash? Post 302420887 by m1xram on Wednesday 12th of May 2010 09:34:08 PM
Old 05-12-2010
Learning Curve

A steep learning curve means that more information can be learned over a short time. Most people believe, mistakenly, that a steep learning curve is bad. This probably comes from believing they have to climb it rather than it being a graph of knowledge vs time.

Perl does not have a steep learning curve, i.e. It will take you longer to learn than Bash. Perl has more features, five ways to solve any problem, and CPAN.org which has a module for almost anything you can think of.

Perl is well worth learning as it is a very powerful and flexible language. This is in spite of its NON-steep learning curve.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mkdir limitations

What characters can't be used with a mkdir? Any limits on length of name? Thank you, Randy M. Zeitman http://www.StoneRoseDesign.com (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: flignar
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Sort - Limitations

Hi All, I want to sort a flat file which will contain millions of records based on a key/field. For this I want to use unix sort command and before that I want to make sure that unix sort command has any file size limitations. And also please let me know whether I have to change any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chprvkmr
2 Replies

3. AIX

SORT Command Limitations

Hi every body, On AIX 4.3.3 what is the maximum file size that can be used with sort command? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csplit limitations

I am trying to use the csplit file on a file that contains records that have more than 2048 characters on a line. The resultant split file seems to ignore the rest of the line and I lose the data. Is there any way that csplit can handle record lengths greater than 2048? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravagga
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password limitations.

I would like to set my minimum password length to on Linux and AIX. However, doing this normally would only make it so newly added users will be affected by this. I would like for when I make this change, it either truncates everyone elses password, or prompts them to change it to 8+ characters.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syndex
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

gnuplot limitations

I'm running a simulation (programmed in C) which makes calls to gnuplot periodically to plot data I have stored. First I open a pipe to gnuplot and set it to multiplot: FILE * pipe = popen("gnuplot", "w"); fprintf(pipe, "set multiplot\n"); fflush(pipe); (this pipe stays open until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedavidw
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Eth0 Limitations

Hi, I have noticed some performance issues on my RHEL5 server but the memory and CPU utilization on the box is fine. I have a 1G full duplexed eth0 card and I am suspicious that this may be causing the problem. My eth0 settings are as follows: Settings for eth0: Supported ports: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
12 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris limitations

Hi, I recently started working with Solaris, and what I noticed is that a lot of commands I used to regularly use don't work, like sed -i and grep -r. I have found work arounds for these problems though but it's a pain in the ass. I'm just wondering why they decided not to include these handy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

10. Linux

Linux partitions and limitations

In recently reading an article on linux basics before I embark and my personal installation project I came across this passage - IDE drives have three types of partition: primary, logical, and extended. The partition table is located in the master boot record (MBR) of a disk. The MBR is the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synchlavier
12 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux