Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cat & telnet
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cat & telnet Post 302420422 by michealvh on Tuesday 11th of May 2010 02:12:36 PM
Old 05-11-2010
cat & telnet

cat & telnet
hello,

I need some help on using a file with the cat command. I want to set up a telnet connection with a network device with the ip-adress 10.3.0.1. Just executing the command 'telnet 10.3.0.1' gives a menu. For example, to show the help of the menu, you need to type '?'.

Now I want to go through the menu with commands (like '?') that are in a file. For this I want to use the command:
cat filename | telnet 10.3.0.1

When I try this, the telnet connection is established, but then it closes immediately afterwards. So I suppose something's wrong with the file. But I have no idea what the file should look like. For example, do you need to mention the enters after a command in a certain way?

just to be clear: the command in the menu that I want to execute are:
"?" -> enter
"projector" -> enter
"exit" -> enter

thanks in advance,

Michaël

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rlogin & telnet

hi what is the main difference between rlogin and telnet? Or they are synonymous cheers (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: g-e-n-o
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCO OpenServer & telnet

I was wondering if anyone knew how I would open up my server so it can be telneted into from other subnets.:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cparks73
2 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

telnet on AT&T MLS V

How do I enable telnet access to a system running AT&T MLS? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgod
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

telnet & su in shell script

Hi, Any scripting experts out there that can point me to the right direction of writing a script using telnet and su to access a server without any users interaction such as login and entering passwd. Thanks. Thanks in advance vastare (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vastare
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

diable telnet & ftp

Hi All, I need to stop all the services for telnet & FTP as we want our server to be more secure. Please give me some steps for jumping to SSH protocol. How can i disable telnet & ftp service on my server. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeep_desh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat & awk

Hi there, Can show some hit why i got this error? For eg i have a.txt in which consist of contents as below 1|781494-0015|IV\|I||C|RECHARGE|Success\|V\|\||2007-12-04 02:33:13.000| 2|762405-0405|IV\|I||C|RECHARGE|Success\|V\|\||2007-12-04 02:33:17.000| In fact , i want to perfrom to have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in `cat myname.txt` && for y in `cat yourname.txt`

cat myname.txt John Doe I John Doe II John Doe III ----------------------------------------------------------------------- for i in `cat myname.txt` do echo This is my name: $i >> thi.is.my.name.txt done ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danimad
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cat Input & Output to a Log file

Team, we use below command to store the contents in a logfile. cat a.txt > a.log a.txt content is 123 345 Is there any options available to store the command used also? for eg a.log may show as cat a.txt 123 345 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid2013
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while displaying(cat) file content inside telnet loop .

Hi Team, Not getting the file output inside my email which i am sending from unix box. . Please refer the below code : #!/bin/sh { sleep 5 echo ehlo 10.56.185.13 sleep 3 echo mail from: oraairtel@CNDBMUREAPZP02.localdomain sleep 3 echo rcpt to: saurabhtripathi@anniksystems.com... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tripathi1990
1 Replies
Regexp::Common::URI::telnet(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    Regexp::Common::URI::telnet(3)

NAME
Regexp::Common::URI::telnet -- Returns a pattern for telnet URIs. SYNOPSIS
use Regexp::Common qw /URI/; while (<>) { /$RE{URI}{telnet}/ and print "Contains a telnet URI. "; } DESCRIPTION
$RE{URI}{telnet} Returns a pattern that matches telnet URIs, as defined by RFC 1738. Telnet URIs have the form: "telnet:" "//" [ user [ ":" password ] "@" ] host [ ":" port ] [ "/" ] Under "{-keep}", the following are returned: $1 The complete URI. $2 The scheme. $3 The username:password combo, or just the username if there is no password. $4 The username, if given. $5 The password, if given. $6 The host:port combo, or just the host if there's no port. $7 The host. $8 The port, if given. $9 The trailing slash, if any. REFERENCES
[RFC 1738] Berners-Lee, Tim, Masinter, L., McCahill, M.: Uniform Resource Locators (URL). December 1994. SEE ALSO
Regexp::Common::URI for other supported URIs. AUTHOR
Damian Conway (damian@conway.org) MAINTAINANCE
This package is maintained by Abigail (regexp-common@abigail.be). BUGS AND IRRITATIONS
Bound to be plenty. LICENSE and COPYRIGHT This software is Copyright (c) 2001 - 2009, Damian Conway and Abigail. This module is free software, and maybe used under any of the following licenses: 1) The Perl Artistic License. See the file COPYRIGHT.AL. 2) The Perl Artistic License 2.0. See the file COPYRIGHT.AL2. 3) The BSD Licence. See the file COPYRIGHT.BSD. 4) The MIT Licence. See the file COPYRIGHT.MIT. perl v5.16.2 2010-02-23 Regexp::Common::URI::telnet(3)