Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting invoke unix variable in SED command Post 302420267 by vjayraghavan on Tuesday 11th of May 2010 06:52:07 AM
Old 05-11-2010
invoke unix variable in SED command

Hi,

I am trying tio invoke unix variable in a sed command like below, but it seems to be failing..

Code:
a=1
sed -n '$a,$p' file.txt    ### Failing

but

Code:
a=1
sed -n '1,$p' files.txt    ### Works fine

Please help me to fix this... Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a sed command that uses variable

Hi , Seen some of wonderful posts. Please have look at my problem. I have a text file ketkee.txt , which look like below. GATES := apple mango banana XMLCHECK := red blue green pink My requiement is to find the line that has XMLCHECK in it. and append two variables followed by a space... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkeep
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

how to invoke the mail from unix ?

How to send mail to users from linux machine when ceratin task finished ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saku
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed command replace date variable in unix

I need to use a shell script, using sed command how to replace date variable value in following format. 04/18/2012 11:38:55 Because the sed is treating the '/' as a parameter instead of the value of a variable, and hence there is the message as sed: command garbled: s/insert/04/18/2012... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jannusuresh
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to take variable

I have file File1.txt in which i have to replace a text using sed command File1.txt contents EURAMOUNTTOBEREPLACED I have a AIX shell script for replacing the text AMOUNTTOBEREPLACED Contents of the shell script sum=27 sed 's/AMOUNTTOBEREPLACED/"$sum"/g' File1.txt >> temp mv temp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bk_12345
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command with variable

Hi, I want to insert some text in the begning of each line. But issue is the text that i want to insert is stored into one variable. so my command look like constr="`date | awk '{print $3"-"$2"-"$6}'`",MXGBTST1" " sed 's/^/\$constr/g' alert_temp.csv but sed command instead of taking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranvijaidba
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a variable in sed command

Hi All, Can I use a variable (using this variable as a counter) in sed cmd? something like below sed -n '${COUNT}p' But it's not working. Pls help. Thanks. Regards, Amee export COUNT=1 export COUNTER=`cat ${BINPATH}/$ALLOC_FILE.clean_1 | wc -l | tr -d " "` while ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amee5
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable in sed command

Hi All, How can i use a variable in a sed command ? I cant seem to get it to work as at present its just printing $i at the start of every line rather than the variable $1. sed -e "s/^/\$i,|/" Any help would be appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a variable in sed command

Hi All, Please help me with the below problem if then $a=" " fi echo "ABC1abc" | sed 's/a/'$a'/' The required output is : ABC abc But I am getting the below error: sed: -e expression #1, char 4: unterminated `s' command Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulsk
6 Replies
I3-MSG(1)							     i3 Manual								 I3-MSG(1)

NAME
i3-msg - send messages to i3 window manager SYNOPSIS
i3-msg [-t type] [message] IPC MESSAGE TYPES
command The payload of the message is a command for i3 (like the commands you can bind to keys in the configuration file) and will be executed directly after receiving it. get_workspaces Gets the current workspaces. The reply will be a JSON-encoded list of workspaces. get_outputs Gets the current outputs. The reply will be a JSON-encoded list of outputs (see the reply section). get_tree Gets the layout tree. i3 uses a tree as data structure which includes every container. The reply will be the JSON-encoded tree. get_marks Gets a list of marks (identifiers for containers to easily jump to them later). The reply will be a JSON-encoded list of window marks. get_bar_config Gets the configuration (as JSON map) of the workspace bar with the given ID. If no ID is provided, an array with all configured bar IDs is returned instead. DESCRIPTION
i3-msg is a sample implementation for a client using the unix socket IPC interface to i3. EXAMPLES
# Use 1-px border for current client i3-msg "border 1pixel" # You can leave out the quotes i3-msg border normal # Dump the layout tree i3-msg -t get_tree ENVIRONMENT
I3SOCK If no ipc-socket is specified on the commandline, this variable is used to determine the path, at wich the unix domain socket is expected, on which to connect to i3. SEE ALSO
i3(1) AUTHOR
Michael Stapelberg and contributors i3 4.1.2 01/01/2013 I3-MSG(1)