Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get the return code of subroutines executed as standalone as command line in Perl ? Post 302420249 by bigearsbilly on Tuesday 11th of May 2010 05:38:20 AM
Old 05-11-2010
you need to use exit

what about...
Code:
perl -I/tmp/ -MTestExit -e 'exit myTest()'
echo $?

remember also, you can only return the value held by a byte,

Code:
percy:$perl -e 'exit 257';echo $?                                                                                 │

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to get system() function executed cmd return value ?

Hi, How I can get system function executed command return value ? I want to know mv command success or not ? #include <stdio.h> main() { int ret; ret = system( "mv x.dat y.dat" ); printf( "system ret:\n", ret ); } (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiudhaya
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get return code in one line

I know how to get the returning code of a function but wonder if I can combine the follwoing two lines into one: e.g.: #!/bin/shell ... #line 1 MyFunction arg1 arg 2 #line 2 rec=$? #this will be evaluated later .... like in c/c++, we'd write one line: rec=MyFunction(arg1, arg 2) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluemoon1
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - why is the shell script executed before the print command?

i'm writing some simple scripts to help me learn perl. why does the print command get called after the shell script is executed? the purpose of the shell script is to simply echo to the screen "script run". which is does, but before the print command, you can clearly see the shell script is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

C, sh, perl, system(): Can't transfer a return code appropriately: help, pls

I am using a perl-script from C-code, executing it by the 'system(..)' comand. The problem is to return the perl-return code to the C correctly. Default the 'system()' shell is Bourne: sh My try: (perl_src.c_pl - the perl script; t_sys - C-program with system() call (I will show it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can grep command return word instead of complete line

Hi Is there any way GREP command can return word and not complete line. My file has following data: Hello Everyone I am NitinrajSrivastava Hi Friends Welcome VrajSrivastava I am using grep 'raj' which is returning me complete line.However I want only the word having keyword 'raj'. Required... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
11 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with perl subroutines

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: This subroutine needs to check if there was a file name given on the command line. If so, return that. Otherwise... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yonkers062986
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i use switches type arguments for subroutines in perl

i want to call subroutines in perl like: sub temp { ---- some code ----- } temp(-switchName, value1, --switchName2, value2) Like i know getoptions::Long is there for command line switches type arguments. So i want to know for subroutine type arguments. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Displaying command return in one line

Hello all I have a query (SQL) that returns a rather long field from an Oracle database. The field in question is defined on 400 characters but all these 400 cannot be displayed by the echo command. Thus when I launch the following command: echo "SELECT FIELD01 FROM TABLE_NAME;" | sqlplus -s... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: S. BASU
9 Replies
Devel::NYTProf::Core(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Devel::NYTProf::Core(3pm)

NAME
Devel::NYTProf::Core - load internals of Devel::NYTProf DESCRIPTION
This module is not meant to be used directly. See Devel::NYTProf, Devel::NYTProf::Data, and Devel::NYTProf::Reader. While it's not meant to be used directly, it is a handy place to document some internals. SUBROUTINE PROFILER
The subroutine profiler intercepts the "entersub" opcode which perl uses to invoke a subroutine, both XS subs (henceforth xsubs) and pure perl subs. The following sections outline the way the subroutine profiler works: Before the subroutine call The profiler records the current time, the current value of cumulative_subr_secs (as initial_subr_secs), and the current cumulative_overhead_ticks (as initial_overhead_ticks). The statement profiler measures time at the start and end of processing for each statement (so time spent in the profiler, writing to the file for example, is excluded.) It accumulates the measured overhead into the cumulative_overhead_ticks variable. In a similar way, the subroutine profiler measures the exclusive time spent in subroutines and accumulates it into the cumulative_subr_secs global. Make the subroutine call The call is made by executing the original perl internal code for the "entersub" opcode. Calling a perl subroutine If the sub being called is a perl sub then when the entersub opcode returns, back into the subroutine profiler, the subroutine has been 'entered' but the first opcode of the subroutine hasn't been executed yet. Crucially though, a new scope has been entered by the entersub opcode. The subroutine profiler then pushes a destructor onto the context stack. The destructor is effectively just inside the sub, like a "local", and so will be triggered when the subroutine exits by any means. Also, because it was the first thing push onto the context stack, it will be triggered after any activity caused by the subroutines scope exiting. When the destructor is invoked it calls a function which completes the measurement of the time spent in the sub (see below). In this way the profiling of perl subroutines is very accurate and robust. Calling an xsub If the sub being called is an xsub, then control doesn't return from the entersub opcode until the xsub has returned. The profiler detects this and calls the function which completes the measurement of the time spent in the xsub. So far so good, but there's a problem. What if the xsub doesn't return normally but throws an exception instead? In that case (currently) the profiler acts as if the xsub was never called. Time spent inside the xsub will be allocated to the calling sub. Completing the measurement The function which completes the timing of a subroutine call does the following: It calculates the time spent in the statement profiler: overhead_ticks = cumulative_overhead_ticks - initial_overhead_ticks and subtracts that from the total time spent 'inside' the subroutine: incl_subr_sec = (time now - time call was made) - overhead_ticks That gives us an accurate inclusive time. To get the exclusive time it calculates the time spent in subroutines called from the subroutine call we're measuring: called_sub_secs = cumulative_subr_secs - initial_subr_secs and subtracts that from the incl_subr_sec: excl_subr_sec = incl_subr_sec - called_sub_secs To make that easier to follow, consider a call to a sub that calls no others. In that case cumulative_subr_secs remains unchanged during the call, so called_sub_secs is zero, and excl_subr_sec is the same as incl_subr_sec. Finally, it adds the exclusive time to the cumulative exclusive time: cumulative_subr_secs += excl_subr_sec AUTHOR
Tim Bunce, <http://www.tim.bunce.name> and <http://blog.timbunce.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2008, 2009 by Tim Bunce. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.8 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.14.2 2010-11-19 Devel::NYTProf::Core(3pm)