Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Monitor a long running process Post 302420197 by sunpraveen on Tuesday 11th of May 2010 02:55:52 AM
Old 05-11-2010
Alister and ygemici, Thanks a lot for your invaluable suggestions and tips.

My friend also suggested one solution.
  • Since the backup will take a minimum of 5-6 hours, instead of writing a script that has to sleep till the backup is complete, why not, schedule a cronjob that runs say 4 hours after the backup is kicked off.
  • This script can check if the backup is still running and exit if it is. If the backup is not running (i.e., it is finished), check whether the database is up or not and depending on that, start it up.
Seems like a workable solution instead of using the sleep command till the script complete.

What say?

Regards,

Praveen

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to monitor if a process is running

I would like to know if i can monitor if a process is running. I have one program wich is running all the time, called oliba, but sometimes it goes down, and I have to launch it again. Is there a way to monitor the pid of the program, and if the program goes down, to lauch it again? Can you give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pedro Tavares
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to check how long the process has been running.

I have a requirement to check how long a process is running on unix system.If i use ps -ef i am getting the following message guest 2453638 1998920 0 16:16:05 - 0:00 dsapi_slave 9 8 0 but this is showing only time not the date.Can any one please advice me any script to find out how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check since when (for how long) a particular process is running ?

How do I check if a particular process is running from a certain date and time ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpuxlxboy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor process running on server and posting a mail if any process is dead

Hello all, I would be happy if any one could help me with a shell script that would determine all the processes running on a Unix server and post a mail if any of the process is not running or aborted. Thanks in advance Regards, pradeep kulkarni. :mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor the process system when a process from user takes longer than 15 min run.

get email notification from from system when a process from XXXX user takes longer than 15 min run.Let me know the time estimation for the same. hi ,any one please tell me , how to write a script to get email notification from system when a process from as mentioned above a xxxx user takes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kirankrishna3
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Long running sessions

Hi, How can i find out the average cpu utilization of a particular long-running process in UNIX? is there some command for this Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for long running process on AIX

I want to write a shellscript which determines if a particular process is long running than my specified threshold time. Eg: My process name is "prsd" and is expected to run for 15 mins and completes. If I set a threshold limit of 1 hour, and how we can the get output of the long running... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandu123
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing the process if running for long time in script

I am running a script which will read the data from fail line by line and call the Java program by providing the arguments from the each line. The Java code is working fast for few records and for some records its getting hanged not providing response for morethan one hour. Currently am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to get exact tomcat process I am running ignoring other java process

Team, I have multiple batchjobs running in VM, if I do ps -ef |grep java or tomcat I am getting multiple process list. How do I get my exact tomcat process running and that is unique? via shell script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghanshyam Ratho
4 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-x] [-o omitpid] [-o omitpid..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. NOTES
pidof is simply a (symbolic) link to the killall5 program, which should also be located in /sbin. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)