Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem using cut command in shell script Post 302420146 by Scott on Monday 10th of May 2010 07:15:48 PM
Old 05-10-2010
Hi.

cut does count each whitespace as a character (column, as you put it).

Here's what I get using only cut, based on your input:
Code:
$ cut -c9-13 file1
HN106
HN113
MEI

The problem is with your echo, i.e.
Code:
var5=`echo $InputLine | cut -c 9-13`

Should be:
Code:
var5=`echo "$InputLine" | cut -c 9-13`

to preserve the whitespace.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut command problem !

Hi all! Here is my problem : $ more file yougli:passwd:123456:3265:Yepa Yepo:/home/yougli:/bin/ksh As you can see, in the field "information", there are two spaces between "Yepa" and "yepo". My problem is : $ PARAM='more file | cut -d":" -f5' $ echo $PARAM Yepa Yepo Now i only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with cut command

I am trying to take one part of my text from file and save it to variable $x I tryed this... x=`cut -c 6-9 $fajl` my file looks like this fajl: 21890001277 89386911 23638FBCDC 28EE01A1 0000 26855 124 244326 21890001277 89766911 23638FBCDC 28E021A1 0000 26557 134 684326 21890001277... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with sed command in shell script.

Guys, I've a problem in the "sed" command used in my shellscripts This is the problamatic line in my shell script: sed -e 's/${line1}/${line1_m}/g' prod_hier_1234.txt > test.txt It doesn't do the job of replacing the string stored in variable 'line1' to 'line1_m'. However If I replace the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagat.singh-j
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with MV command in Shell Script

Hi Guru's, I 'm trying to execute the below given script in Unix. I am having an issue with the script. The output of the script is given below: #!/bin/bash File_Home="/home/essftp/Risk" cd /home/essftp/Risk rm -f FileList rm -f credit_risk* file1=`ls -lt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjith_taurean
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT command problem

Hi I have a strange problem when using cut command when i am using the below command, it is working fine,I am getting the data in new file xyz.dat cut -c 1-75 abc.dat > xyz.dat when i am using the below command, I am getting the data in new file abc.dat , but empty file cut -c 1-75... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaas
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with cut command

Hi! I get a md5 hash of a file with this command: openssl md5 /Users/me/MyLogo.png | cut -f 2 -d ' ' "cut" because I just want the hash. But there is a problem -> that doen't work with a path with spaces: openssl md5 /Users/me/MyLogo 2.png | cut -f 2 -d ' ' The result is "2.png)=" ...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dirk Einecke
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with expr command in shell script

Hi, I have used expr command to increment the date. for e.g., case 1 : echo $(date -d $(echo `expr 20010101 + 1`)) it returns Tue Jan 2 00:00:00 IST 2001 case 2: echo $(date -d $(echo `expr 20010101 - 1`)) it returns date: invalid date `20010100' please suggest me, how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command issue with shell script

I am writing a shell script to skip couple of feilds in a flat file and as a part of this I have written the below piece of code in it. cut -d '|' -f 1-17,19-31 $1 > filename To add pipe at end of the line I used below command, but it adds even to header and footer as well which i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya_001
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in using cut command

Hi Friend , i have one file say xyz.lst and it has content like dn: cn=m.hariharan,cn=employee,cn=delhi circle,cn=users,dc=industowers,dc=c dn: cn=ajay.jain,cn=employee,cn=gujarat circle,cn=users,dc=industowers,dc=com dn: cn=ajitkumar.thakor,cn=employee,cn=gujarat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish anand
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in using cut command with pipe as a delimiter while using in a script

There is a text file in my project named as "mom.txt" in which i want to have contents like.................. LSCRM(Application Name): 1: This is my first application. 2: Today we did shell scripting automation for this app. 3: It was really a good fun in doing so. 4: Really good.| (Here i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhijeet Anand
7 Replies
CUT-DIFF(1)							  Cutter's manual						       CUT-DIFF(1)

NAME
cut-diff - show difference between 2 files with color SYNOPSIS
cut-diff [option ...] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
cut-diff is a diff command that uses diff feature in Cutter. It shows difference with color. It's recommended that you use a normal diff(1) when you want to use with patch(1) or you don't need color. OPTIONS
--version cut-diff shows its own version and exits. -c [yes|true|no|false|auto], --color=[yes|true|no|false|auto] If 'yes' or 'true' is specified, cut-diff uses colorized output by escape sequence. If 'no' or 'false' is specified, cut-diff never use colorized output. If 'auto' or the option is omitted, cut-diff uses colorized output if available. The default is auto. -u, --unified cut-diff uses unified diff format. --context-lines=LINES Shows diff context around LINES. All lines are shown by default. When unified diff format is used, 3 lines are shown by default. --label=LABEL, -L=LABEL Uses LABEL as a header label. The first--label option value is used as file1's label and the second --label option value is used asfile2's label. Labels are the same as file names by default. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 for success, non-0 otherwise. TODO: 0 for non-difference, 1 for difference and non-0 for errors. EXAMPLE
In the following example, cut-diff shows difference between file1 and file2: % cut-diff file1 file2 In the following example, cut-diff shows difference between file1 and file2 with unified diff format: % cut-diff -u file1 file2 SEE ALSO
diff(1) Cutter February 2011 CUT-DIFF(1)