Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files. Post 302420096 by quirkasaurus on Monday 10th of May 2010 03:00:37 PM
Old 05-10-2010
JIA -- the first question we'd need to know is..... is the directory and file structure between the 2 directories supposed to be identical?

Presuming that the answer is "yes".... Then the answer is simple:

Code:
date > frogs

find . -print | sort > /tmp/a

/bin/rm frogs

find . -print | sort > /tmp/b

diff /tmp/a /tmp/b

This just shows the general concept. Any questions, ask away.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 huge files wrt to a key using awk

Hi Folks, I need to compare two very huge file ( i.e the files would contain a minimum of 70k records each) using awk or sed. The comparison needs to be done with respect to a 'key'. For example : File1 ********** 1234|TONY|Y75634|20/07/2008 1235|TINA|XCVB56|30/07/2009... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ranjani
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the checksum of files in 2 different folders

Hi I have 2 different folders on different machines. they are supposed to be same but some time for unknown reason they are not. then we have to generate a report for files which are not matching. I was doing as below - cd folder1 find . -type f | sort | cksum >1.txt cd folder2 find .... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files in two folders and delete missing ones

I do not know much about shell scripting so I am at a loss here. If someone can help me, that would be great! I have two directories /dir1 /dir2 I need to delete all files from /dir1 and that does not have a correspondent file in /dir2. It should NOT check file suffixes in /dir2 . Why?... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaah
20 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare files in two folders using cmp?

i recently copied 400GB of data from a NTFS drive to a ext4 drive. I want to verify that the data is 100% identical to the original. I wanted to use cmp but it only does two files. The directory that was copied contains many subdirectories and all sorts of files (not just text). So I guess... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fuzzylogic25
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format & Compare two huge CSV files

I have two csv files having 90K records each & each row has around 50 columns.Lets say the file names are FILE1 and FILE2. I have to compare both the files and generate a new file that has rows from FILE2 if it differs. FILE1 ----- 2001,"John",25,19901130,21211.41,Unix Forum... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheel
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files

Hi, I need help in shell scripting. If someone can help me, that would be great! Problem. I want Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files. Description. I have two directories /dir1 /dir2 I need to copy all distinct/new/unique/missing files from /dir1 and that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S.Praveen Kumar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and get only missing names

I need to compare two files (oldfile1 & newfile). Need to ignore the values which are present in both files. At the same time, i need to get only records in new file. Tried using Join -v1 -v2 oldfile1 newfile (suspect it has not worked as expected). could anyone of you please help me here. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selva_2507
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a folder with huge number of files in n folders

We have a folder XYZ with large number of files (>350,000). how can i split the folder and create say 10 of them XYZ1 to XYZ10 with 35,000 files each. (doesnt matter which files go where). (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlokKumbhare
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files and find missing fields awk

Hello experts! I have 2 files. file1 is a list file containing uniquely names. e.g.: name1 number number name2 number number name5 number number name10 number number ... file2 is a data file arbitrary containing the names of file1 in paragraphs separated by "10" e.g. name4 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare files in 2 folders and delete the large file

Hello, my first thread here. I've been searching and fiddling around for about a week and I cannot find a solution.:confused: I have been converting all of my home videos to HEVC and sometimes the files end up smaller and sometimes they don't. I am currently comparing all the video files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Josh52180
5 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)