Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String parsing in Korn Shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String parsing in Korn Shell Post 302420048 by kshji on Monday 10th of May 2010 12:07:57 PM
Old 05-10-2010
Using ksh93 or bash or ...
Code:
a="${record%\)*}"    
num="${a##*\(}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to: Parse text string into variables using Korn shell

I am writing a script to keep check on free disk space, and I would like to find a way to parse $LINE (see code below) into a numeric value (for free disk space percentage) and a string value (for mount point). If possible, I would like to avoid sed or any additional use of awk since I am not very... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a string in a shell script

I need to parse a string in a shell script. I understand there is some in built function to use that. can someone explain the syntax ? Say, it is like this #!/bin/ksh read input # input is entered as 'welcome' #Now I want to extract say only first 4 characters or last four #characters. ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing of file for Report Generation (String parsing and splitting)

Hey guys, I have this file generated by me... i want to create some HTML output from it. The problem is that i am really confused about how do I go about reading the file. The file is in the following format: TID1 Name1 ATime=xx AResult=yyy AExpected=yyy BTime=xx BResult=yyy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umar.shaikh
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing in korn shell

Hi Everyone, how do i parse following string from a file xyz.log in korn shell ? aa/bb{ CT{ GG{jjj/test} Thanks in advance, sweta (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swetarati
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing the list in korn shell

Hi I wanted to print/store just a specific element of the list . I have got the list as an output of grep command. here is code snap below : end_no=`egrep -ni '!return code: 0|return code other than 0' temp.log | cut -d':' -f1` this will return the line numbers in end_no. I just... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shell@korn
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If statement for substring within string (korn)

Hi all, Just looking for a simple if statement that searches for a substring within a varaible, and then performs some function. Problem is that I need it to work in Korn shell $var = *string* does not work in Korn i="xxxxxx00.00yyyyy.zzzzz" want to find 00.00 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgrosecl
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a long string string problem for procmail

Hi everyone, I am working on fetchmail + procmail to filter mails and I am having problem with parsing a long line in the body of the email. Could anyone help me construct a reg exp for this string below. It needs to match exactly as this string. GetRyt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwiggler
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell: check the content of a string of a variable

hello, i have a variable which should have following content : var="value1" or var="value2" or var="value2:*" # example: value2:22 how can i check : - if the content is ok (value1 / value2* ) - the two options of "value2" when content is example "value2:22" , i want to split... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bora99
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Korn shell - evaluating string gives wrong results due to limitations

Anyone ever seen this? Someone mentioned this the other day.... If you do, for instance, in korn shell, echo $(5.2+2.5), it gives the result of 6 regardless. Can't remember why but it was the limitation of the korn shell. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell manipulating the string into dynamic currency number

Conversion of string into currency value.. ex1: number_of_positions=2 input_string=345987 Output= 345,987.00 ex2: number_of_positions=4 input_string=1345987 Output= 1,345,987.0000 Please respond as soon as possible edit by bakunin: we will gladly respond as soon as... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: suren.bills
15 Replies
regex(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  regex(3)

Name
       re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler

Syntax
       char *re_comp(s)
       char *s;

re_exec(s)
       char *s;

Description
       The  subroutine	compiles  a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching.  The subroutine checks the argument string against
       the last string passed to

The subroutine returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an  error  message  is  returned.  If	is
       passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression.

The  subroutine returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled
       regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error).

The strings passed to both and may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by	nulls.	 The  regular  expressions
       recognized are described in the manual entry for given the above difference.

Diagnostics
       The subroutine returns -1 for an internal error.

The subroutine returns one of the following strings if an error occurs:

No previous regular expression
       Regular expression too long
       unmatched (
       missing ]
       too many () pairs
       unmatched )

See Also
       ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1)

regex(3)