Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printer status script giving error Post 302419965 by itkamaraj on Monday 10th of May 2010 08:04:48 AM
Old 05-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmathew99
Hi,

We check the printer status at the command line by giving the following command and the system gives an output;

Code:
lpstat -prn001_hp4000n

When I give the same command in a UNIX script the system gives an error while running the script as "lpstat: not found".

Please let me know how I could include this in the script to get the output.

If you are getting the output in command line.. then use the lpstat absolute path in your script.

just execute the following command

Code:
which lpstat

use the output of the above command in your shell script ( absolute path )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

printer status for print spooler: help

Hey people I am currently working on a print spooler for unix over a network. I need help regarding the status of the printer. Is there any way to know when the printer has finished a previous job, so that the next job from the queue can be processed. Also is there any other way to print other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rage
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

Installing RedHat 8.0 onto Dell PowerEdge SC1425 - hdc: status error: status = 0x58

I have successfully installed RedHat 8.0 onto a Dell PowerEdge SC1425 today. This server has two SATA hard drives, and an IDE DVD-ROM drive. Using the following kernel parameters, i successfully installed across both hard drives from CD: ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14 vga=791 resolution=1024x768 expert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command is giving error in shell script

Hi, In my shell script when I am using mv command using shell variables it is giving me error of syntax. Following is the shell script: file_edifice="*.txt" fquote="'" fdquote=\" for file in $file_edifice do file_name=$fquote$file$fquote tofile_name=`date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammit
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script giving error

Hi All, i have an small issue... echo " " eval x=$@ export x=`echo $x` echo $x ssh user@ipadrss; cd /mbbv/home/; cd /mbbv/home/orange/orange/ echo pwd bash samplescript.sh $x above is my script which will triger from server A and will connect to server B for some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A running Script giving error while scheduled in cronjob

Hi, I have script which is properly running but when i schedule it in cron it throws an error like : Your "cron" job on retrprdapp1 /usr/bin/sh /retr/cron/ftp.sh 2>&1 produced the following output: /retr/cron/ftp.sh: syntax error at line 17: `(' unexpected line17 is # Get list of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajagasti
10 Replies

6. AIX

Generic Printer giving garbage fonts in Arabic

Generic Printer giving garbage fonts in Arabic ! Guy's I have confgured this printer in AIX 6.1 by the following steps ... Smitty Print Spooling AIX Print Spooling Add a Print Queue I Selected from the box this kind hpJetDirect Network Printer (HP JetDirect) then ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script working in AIX, but giving error in SOLARIS

Hi, My script is working fine in AIX but throwing an error in SOLARIS system. Here is the error message that I am getting when calculating the elapsed time: /home/x772525/FindETA.sh: start_mins = *60 + : syntax error . ((start_mins = $(expr substr "$j" 1 2)*60 + $(expr substr "$j" 4... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to kill a pid giving error

Hi, I simply want to kill a running process using a script that read pid from a file and tries to kill it .Getting error as shown below code.. cat $HOME/BackupScript.ksh.run | head -1 | while read pid do ps -p $pid > /dev/null 2>&1 if ; then kill -9 $pid else echo "no running $pid... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhirajdsharma
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script giving error-Unable to identfiy

#!/bin/sh #!/bin/prel #set -x while getopts ":n:t:" opt; do case "$opt" in n) host=$OPTARG ;; t) targ=$OPTARG ;; *) break ;; esac done if ping -c 2 $host >/dev/null 2>&1 then echo Host... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find command giving bad status error

In a fastload teradata utility I am trying to delete the files which are older than 30days using the find and rm command as following. find . -name 'xxx_*' -mtime +30 -exec rm -f {} \; I expect it to delete all the files older than 30 days but sometimes it gives an error : find: bad status--... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stelkar
3 Replies
lpstat(1)						      General Commands Manual							 lpstat(1)

NAME
lpstat - print information about the status of the LP print service SYNOPSIS
lpstat [ -A ] [ -d ] [ -r ] [ -R ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -a [list] ] [ -c [list] ] [ -f [list] [ -l ] ] [ -o [list] ] [ -p [list] [ -D ] [ -l ] ] [ -P ] [ -S [list] [ -l ] ] [ -u [login-ID-list] ] [ -v [list] ] [ -Tdebugoptions ] [list] DESCRIPTION
The lpstat command prints information about the current status of the LP print service. This is implemented as a front end to the LPRng lpq(1) program, and does not have the full functionality of the native lpstat program. If no options are given, then lpstat prints the status of all the user's print requests made by lp on the default printer. (see lp(1) and lpr(1)). Any arguments that are not options are assumed to be request-IDs as returned by lp or printer names. The lpstat command prints the status of such requests. The options may appear in any order and may be repeated and intermixed with other arguments. Some of the keyletters below may be followed by an optional list that can be in one of two forms: a list of items separated from one another by a comma, or a list of items separated from one another by spaces enclosed in quotes. For example: example% lpstat -u "user1 user2 user3" Specifying all after any keyletter that takes list as an argument causes all information relevant to the keyletter to be printed. For example, the command: example% lpstat -o all prints the status of all output requests. The omission of a list following such key letters causes all information relevant to the key letter to be printed. For example, the com- mand: example% lpstat -o prints the status of all output requests. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -A Use authentication specified by the value of the AUTH environment variable. -a [list] Reports whether print destinations are accepting requests. list is a list of printer names. -c [list] Print name of all classes and their members. list is a list of class names. (Same effect as -o.) -d Print the system default destination for output requests. -f [list] [-l] Print list of printers supporting the specified forms option is ignored. -o [list] Print the status of output requests: list is a list of intermixed printer names, class names, and request-IDs. The keylet- ter -o may be omitted. -p [list] Print the status of printers. list is a list of printer names. (Same effect as -o.) -P Print the paper types. Ignored. -r Print the status of the LP request scheduler. -R Print a number showing the position of each job in the print queue. Ignored. -s Print a status summary. Produces a short status listing. -S [list] [-l] List or verify character sets of printers. (Ignored.) -t Print all status information. -u [login-ID-list] Print the status of output requests for users. (Same effect as -o.) -v [list] Print the path names of the printer output devices. (Ignored.) -D Combined with the -p flag prints description of printer. -Toptions Set debugging options. Use -T= to get lpstat to provide a list. ENVIRONMENT
By default, the destination printer is taken from the command line dest value, then the environment variables PRINTER, LPDEST, NPRINTER, NGPRINTER, then first entry in the printcap information, and and finally the default_printer entry from the configuration file, and then the compile time default. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: zero (0) Successful completion. non-zero (!=0) An error occurred. FILES
The files used by LPRng are set by values in the printer configuration file. The following are a commonly used set of default values. /etc/lpd.conf LPRng configuration file ${HOME}/.printcap user printer description file /etc/printcap printer description file /etc/lpd.perms permissions /var/run/lpd lock file for queue control /var/spool/lpd spool directories /var/spool/lpd/QUEUE/control queue control /var/spool/lpd/QUEUE/log trace or debug log file /var/spool/lpd/QUEUE/acct accounting file /var/spool/lpd/QUEUE/status status file SEE ALSO
lpd.conf(5), lpc(8), lpd(8), checkpc(8), lpr(1), lpq(1), lprm(1), printcap(5), lpd.perms(5), pr(1), lprng_certs(1), lprng_index_certs(1). DIAGNOSTICS
Most of the diagnostics are self explanatory. If you are puzzled over the exact cause of failure, set the debugging level on (-T5) and run again. The debugging information will help you to pinpoint the exact cause of failure. HISTORY
LPRng is a enhanced printer spooler system with functionality similar to the Berkeley LPR software. The LPRng mailing list is lprng@lprng.com; subscribe by sending mail to lprng-request@lprng.com with the word subscribe in the body. The software is available from ftp://ftp.lprng.com/pub/LPRng. AUTHOR
Patrick Powell <papowell@lprng.com>. 7 Feb 1994 lpstat(1)