Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can someone interpret this -- not sure Post 302419584 by hergp on Friday 7th of May 2010 02:20:57 PM
Old 05-07-2010
Alister.

I was not talking about scripts and functions in general, but this special case. And if this function is called properly, then there is only one argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
That is absolutely incorrect. If there are multiple arguments passed to a script or function, the double-quoted values "$*" and "$@" will ALWAYS differ.
Thats right, but this function does only have one argument. If more than one argument is passed, it is just a plain syntax error, which should be handled properly (which bash should do too - ignoring a syntax error doesn't seem to be a very good implementation).

When you call ksh's cd function with extra arguments (in this case a third one), it says
Code:
ksh: cd: bad argument count

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Do We Interpret This ?

ksh $ETL_XXX/bin/filename.ksh wf_workflowname . Which is used in post session command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dummy_needhelp
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please interpret.

Hi guys, I have no idea on unix but suddenly, my cobol programs calls a unix script that i know nothing about. can you guys interpret these lines for me? i know its a print command but I want to actually know how many copies it prints. qprt -da -P $1 -t '6' -i '6' -l '70' $2 qprt -da... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supacow
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpret the sed command.

Could you interpret the following sed and awk command for me? command: cat tempfile2 |sed "s/\(BUILD-3-.*-\.-\)\(.*\..*\..*\)/\2/" | awk '{printf "%-8.8s %-23.23s %-30.30s %-50.50s\n", $1,$2,$3,substr($0,index($0,$4))}' > outfile2 2>/dev/null input:(data in tempfile2)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vj8436
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to interpret TOP

Hi, So I am new to Unix, and I need to check the performance of some apps I am running. But I don't know how to interpret the output from TOP. Could somebody please explain the difference between the different values. And also explain how I can have a process which has a %CPU > 100? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_jay_smith
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpret a text file

hi I have a text file abc.txt as below a = 0 b = 1 c = 3 i want to interpret this file i.e. if number corresponding to 'a' is 0 i want to run a script script.bash . How do do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishirkotkar
4 Replies

6. High Performance Computing

How to interpret Papi output

I have collected data of Number of L2 cache misses using PAPI. I had run an MPI application with 4 threads (mpirun -np 4) and each thread reads the cache misses in L2. Each thread outputs data for every timestamp. eg: Timestamp data xxx530 thread# 0 2136 xxx531 thread# 0 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does Awk interpret $0!~

I know $0 is the entire file's contents (at least I think that is what it is!), but what exactly is: $0!~ This was a snippet from a larger line awk '$0!~/^$/ {print $0}' This deletes blank lines, but I want to know specifically the $0!~ part... I am guessing /^$/ is regex for blank line...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

don't know how to interpret this

Can anyone tell me how to interpret this: listpage="ls |more" (the spaces are there in the example) $listpage It's from my bash book and I'm not sure what it means (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to interpret code

hi All, i have never used sed in Unix environment, but i have one script which is using this following command: cat audit_session_rpt_MSP_20140331.lst|sed -n '/Apr 14/!p'| sed -n '/Page/!p'| sed -n '/UserName/!p' |\ egrep -v '^-|^=|^\*'|sed '/^$/d'|sed -e '1,7d'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Who -r interpret?

I booted into single user mode with /usr/sbin/reboot -- -s but after doing a control -d my who -r shows run-level 3 Nov 17 14:07 3 0 S I was expecting it to show run-level S why is this still in run level 3? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)                                              General Commands Manual                                             CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)