Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove spaces in the beginning of a string Post 302419558 by shrutihardas on Friday 7th of May 2010 01:29:54 PM
Old 05-07-2010
@curleb - I have stored my string with leading spaces in a variable and when i try to use the command provided by you above...it returns a blank....i mean it does not return an output at all -

Code:
value=" no rows selected"
val=$value|sed 's/ no/no/g'
echo output=$val

This returns output as follows-

Code:
output=

which necessarily means its returning a blank output.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove spaces in a string using sed.

Hello, I have the following to remove spaces from beginning and end of a string. infile=`echo "$infilename" | sed 's/^ *//;s/ *$//` How do I modify the above code to remove spaces from beginning, end and in the middle of the string also. ex: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable has spaces around the string, need to remove them

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the Linux world and I got a couple of shell script questions: (1) How do combine two variables and make it equal to a third variable? For example, I got a variable $A=FirstName, $B=LastName, and I want to combine the variable into one variable so when you echo the final... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikey20
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove blank spaces in a string

can any help how to remove blank spaces in a string? STR="GOOD BYE" by removing blank spaces, the string should be GOOD,BYE thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh, ksh: command to remove front spaces from a string?

dear pro-coders, is there any command out there that takes out the front spaces from a string? sample strings: 4 members 5 members 3 members but it has to be like so: 4 members 5 members 3 members (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove spaces before 1rst occurence of string

seems easy but havent found in other posts... i want to delete any spaces if found before first occurence of ${AI_RUN} sed 's/ *\\$\\{AI_RUN\\}/\\$\\{AI_RUN\\}/' $HOME/temp1.dat i think i'm close but can't put my finger on it. :rolleyes: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove extra spaces from a string??

Hi, I have a string like this and i want to remove extra spaces that exists between the words. Here is the sentence. $string="The small DNA genome of hepadnaviruses is replicated by reverse transcription via an RNA intermediate. This RNA "pregenome" contains ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove white spaces from the beginning an end of a string in unix?

Suppose, I have a variable var=" name is ". I want to remove the blank spaces from the begining and endonly, not from the entire string. So, that the variable/string looks like following var="name is". Please look after the issue. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove filenames beginning with multiple dots

hi all, I want to remove filenames beginning with multiple dots.how I can do this. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriharsharavi
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove all occurrences of a character at the beginning of a string

Hi there, i need some help to remove all occurrences of a certain character at the beginning of a string. Example: my string is 00102030 and i want to remove all zeros from beginning of string so the result is 102030 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove \n at the beginning of a field in a record.

Hi, In my file, I have few records which are split across multiple lines. File 1: ===== james,\n pre-auth completed,in patient,\n Fac_Id:23451,ramson,Dallas Expected is: ========== james,pre-auth completed,in patient,Fac_Id:23451,ramson,Dallas (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
8 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)