Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find a file with specific string inside it. Post 302419422 by Reboot on Friday 7th of May 2010 05:59:10 AM
Old 05-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinga123
Hi ,
Is there any way i can find a file with specific word inside it.
For example if i want to find a file which has some text written inside it.
How would i form a command to search them?

Code:
# find /directory_name/where/file/resides -type f -exec grep "pattern" {} +

Last edited by Reboot; 05-07-2010 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: typo..
This User Gave Thanks to Reboot For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a string inside files

Hi, I would like to know how to get a list of files that contain a specific string inside them. Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String substitution on find results inside exec/xargs

What I'm trying to do is perform a copy, well a ditto actually, on the results of a find command, but some inline string substitution needs to happen. So if I run this code find ./ -name "*.tif" I get back these results. .//1234567.tif .//abcdefg.tif Now the action from exec or xargs I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myndcraft
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cmd sequence to find & cut out a specific string

A developer of mine has this requirement - I couldn't tell her quickly how to do it with UNIX commands or a quick script so she's writing a quick program to do it - but that got my curiousity up and thought I'd ask here for advice. In a text file, there are some records (about half of them)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find something inside a file

Hi, this is the problem i'm facing i need a check some file having some word like gzip or tar ,the way i normally do is grep gzip filenamethe thing is that i had some 1000 files to be checked is that the only way or can i customize it by some script ,i know there is some way ,but i need some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malickhat
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a string a specific value in specific location in AIX

Hi, I have following samp.txt file in unix. samp.txt 01Roy2D3M000000 02Rad2D3M222222 . . . . 10Mik0A2M343443 Desired Output 01Roy2A3M000000 02Rad2A3M222222 . . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a string from its end to its start and stop when you find a specific character

How can I do this? Actually I have a file which contains a path e.g. /home/john/Music/hello.mp3 and I want to take only the filename (hello.mp3) So, I need to read the file from its end to its start till the character "/" Is this possible? Thanks, I am sure you'll not disappoint me here! Oh,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file with a specific pattern for current sysdate & upon find email the details?

I need assistance with following requirement, I am new to Unix. I want to do the following task but stuck with file creation date(sysdate) Following is the requirement I need to create a script that will read the abc/xyz/klm folder and look for *.err files for that day’s date and then send an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a specific String in a log file for a specific date range

Hi, I have log file which rolls out every second which is as this. HttpGenRequest - -<!--OXi dbPublish--> <created="2014-03-24 23:45:37" lastMsgId="" requestTime="0.0333"> <response request="getOutcomeDetails" code="114" message="Request found no matching data" debug="" provider="undefined"/>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprakash
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find all .sh files in file system and need to replace the string inside .sh files

Hi All, I need to write a script to find all "*.sh" files in /home file system and if any string find "*.sh" files with the name vijay@gmail.com need to replace with vijay.bhaskar@gmail.com. I just understood about the find the command to search .sh files. Please help me on this. find / -name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)