Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can someone interpret this -- not sure Post 302419398 by hergp on Friday 7th of May 2010 04:47:46 AM
Old 05-07-2010
In this special case there is no effective difference between "$*" and "$@", because in bash the cd builtin accepts only one argument, the name of the directory you want to change to.

In ksh, cd takes optionally a second argument.
Code:
cd old new

where old ist substituted with new in the current directory name and then changed to this directory, like

Code:
$ pwd
/opt/software/app1/prod/install
$ cd app1 app2
/opt/software/app2/prod/install
$ pwd
/opt/software/app2/prod/install

In this special case it would make a difference, because "$@" would keep two arguments intact, even if they contain whitespace, whereas "$*" would combine arg1 and arg2 into one string.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Do We Interpret This ?

ksh $ETL_XXX/bin/filename.ksh wf_workflowname . Which is used in post session command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dummy_needhelp
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please interpret.

Hi guys, I have no idea on unix but suddenly, my cobol programs calls a unix script that i know nothing about. can you guys interpret these lines for me? i know its a print command but I want to actually know how many copies it prints. qprt -da -P $1 -t '6' -i '6' -l '70' $2 qprt -da... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supacow
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpret the sed command.

Could you interpret the following sed and awk command for me? command: cat tempfile2 |sed "s/\(BUILD-3-.*-\.-\)\(.*\..*\..*\)/\2/" | awk '{printf "%-8.8s %-23.23s %-30.30s %-50.50s\n", $1,$2,$3,substr($0,index($0,$4))}' > outfile2 2>/dev/null input:(data in tempfile2)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vj8436
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to interpret TOP

Hi, So I am new to Unix, and I need to check the performance of some apps I am running. But I don't know how to interpret the output from TOP. Could somebody please explain the difference between the different values. And also explain how I can have a process which has a %CPU > 100? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_jay_smith
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpret a text file

hi I have a text file abc.txt as below a = 0 b = 1 c = 3 i want to interpret this file i.e. if number corresponding to 'a' is 0 i want to run a script script.bash . How do do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishirkotkar
4 Replies

6. High Performance Computing

How to interpret Papi output

I have collected data of Number of L2 cache misses using PAPI. I had run an MPI application with 4 threads (mpirun -np 4) and each thread reads the cache misses in L2. Each thread outputs data for every timestamp. eg: Timestamp data xxx530 thread# 0 2136 xxx531 thread# 0 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does Awk interpret $0!~

I know $0 is the entire file's contents (at least I think that is what it is!), but what exactly is: $0!~ This was a snippet from a larger line awk '$0!~/^$/ {print $0}' This deletes blank lines, but I want to know specifically the $0!~ part... I am guessing /^$/ is regex for blank line...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

don't know how to interpret this

Can anyone tell me how to interpret this: listpage="ls |more" (the spaces are there in the example) $listpage It's from my bash book and I'm not sure what it means (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to interpret code

hi All, i have never used sed in Unix environment, but i have one script which is using this following command: cat audit_session_rpt_MSP_20140331.lst|sed -n '/Apr 14/!p'| sed -n '/Page/!p'| sed -n '/UserName/!p' |\ egrep -v '^-|^=|^\*'|sed '/^$/d'|sed -e '1,7d'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Who -r interpret?

I booted into single user mode with /usr/sbin/reboot -- -s but after doing a control -d my who -r shows run-level 3 Nov 17 14:07 3 0 S I was expecting it to show run-level S why is this still in run level 3? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
Tree::Simple::Visitor::CreateDirectoryTree(3pm) 	User Contributed Perl Documentation	   Tree::Simple::Visitor::CreateDirectoryTree(3pm)

NAME
Tree::Simple::Visitor::CreateDirectoryTree - A Visitor for create a set of directories and files from a Tree::Simple object SYNOPSIS
use Tree::Simple::Visitor::CreateDirectoryTree; # create a Tree::Simple object which # represents a directory heirarchy my $tree = Tree::Simple->new("www/") ->addChildren( Tree::Simple->new("conf/") ->addChildren( Tree::Simple->new("startup.pl"), Tree::Simple->new("httpd.conf") ), Tree::Simple->new("cgi-bin/"), Tree::Simple->new("ht_docs/"), Tree::Simple->new("logs/") ->addChildren( Tree::Simple->new("error.log"), Tree::Simple->new("access.log") ), ); # create an instance of our visitor my $visitor = Tree::Simple::Visitor::CreateDirectoryTree->new(); # pass the visitor to a Tree::Simple object $tree->accept($visitor); # the www/ directory now mirrors the structure of the tree DESCRIPTION
This visitor can be used to create a set of directories and files from a Tree::Simple object hierarchy. METHODS
new There are no arguments to the constructor the object will be in its default state. You can use the "setNodeFilter", "setFileHandler" and "setDirectoryHandler" methods to customize its behavior. setNodeFilter ($filter_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as its $filter_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. This code reference is used to filter the tree nodes as they are used to create the directory tree, it can be basically used as a node pre- processor. An example usage of this might be to enforce the 8.3 naming rules of DOS, or the 32 character limit of older macintoshes. setFileHandler ($file_handler) This method accepts a CODE reference as its $file_handler argument and throws an exception if it is not a CODE reference. This method can be used to create custom file creation behavior. The default behavior is to just create the file and nothing else, but by using this method it is possible to implement some other custom behavior, such as creating a file based on a template. The function is passed the full path of the file to be created (as built by File::Spec). setDirectoryHandler ($dir_handler) This method accepts a CODE reference as its $dir_handler argument and throws an exception if it is not a CODE reference. This method can be used to create custom directory creation behavior. The default behavior is to just create the directory and nothing else, but by using this method it is possible to implement some other custom behavior, such as creating a directory on a remote server. The function is passed the full path of the directory to be created (as built by File::Spec). visit ($tree) This is the method that is used by Tree::Simple's "accept" method. It can also be used on its own, it requires the $tree argument to be a Tree::Simple object (or derived from a Tree::Simple object), and will throw and exception otherwise. The tree is processed as follows: Any node which is not a leaf is considered a directory. Obviously since files themselves are leaf nodes, this makes sense that non-leaves will be directories. Any node (including leaf nodes) which ends in either the character "/" or "" is considered a directory. I think it is a pretty standard convention to have directory names ending in a separator. The separator itself is stripped off before the directory name is passed to File::Spec where the platform specific directory path is created. This means that it does not matter which one you use, it will be completely cross platform (at least as cross-platform as File::Spec is). All other nodes are considered to be files. BUGS
None that I am aware of. Of course, if you find a bug, let me know, and I will be sure to fix it. CODE COVERAGE
See the CODE COVERAGE section in Tree::Simple::VisitorFactory for more inforamtion. SEE ALSO
These Visitor classes are all subclasses of Tree::Simple::Visitor, which can be found in the Tree::Simple module, you should refer to that module for more information. AUTHOR
stevan little, <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004, 2005 by Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-02-18 Tree::Simple::Visitor::CreateDirectoryTree(3pm)