Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to Kill Zombie Process
Operating Systems Solaris How to Kill Zombie Process Post 302419307 by fredginting on Thursday 6th of May 2010 08:57:28 PM
Old 05-06-2010
How to Kill Zombie Process

Dear Bos,

I have one server,everday if I check with command TOP always present zombie,like below:

Code:
last pid:  4578;  load averages:  0.15,  0.11,  0.13                                                                                                07:56:15
298 processes: 295 sleeping, 1 running, 2 zombie, 1 on cpu
CPU states:     % idle,     % user,     % kernel,     % iowait,     % swap
Memory: 8192M real, 2465M free, 7700M swap in use, 2541M swap free

how to kill zombie process?thank for your help.

warm regards

Fredginting

Last edited by Scott; 05-07-2010 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombie process

How do i kill a zombie process. Is it that only root can kill a zombie process. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orca
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Zombie process

I would like to create a zombie process so that I can test monitoring software functionality. Any techniques? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swhitney
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

zombie daemon process!!

My daemon process is the child of init and init has the responsibility to remove it, once it turns zombie. But I want to ask why the daemon process which is child of init turns zombie in the first place. What measures I have to take to avoid this? rish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rish2005
1 Replies

4. Linux

zombie process

Hi What is the command to find only the zombie processes?? How to write the code in C to fetch the no. of zombie processes?? Thanx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeenat
5 Replies

5. Linux

How to kill zombie process

I have RHES4 machine with VRTSralus - Backup Exec agent installed there and running as a service. The agent hiccups sometimes and turns into defunct state. The problem is that I cannot kill it anyway., it stays there forever until the machine is rebooted. I wonder if anyone had such an experience... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: will_mike
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zombie process

Hi I need help because I don't know if it is possible to add a find inside a cat. like I have a file with the pid of the process that use to became zombie. And I have the same pid stored in the var (pid1) now, I have no clue how to check if the the find finds the pid or even if it's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
2 Replies

7. Solaris

zombie process

dear friends, in an interview they asked me what is zombie process. how we can identifying these process.if can you kill all zombie process. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sijocg
8 Replies

8. AIX

zombie process

Is there an equivilant to the preap command in AIX that would allow me to get rid of a zombie process. I am new to AIX, moving over from Solaris and in the past I have been able to preap the pid on the defunct process to clean them up. I have looked around and the best I can see is that it may... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboots
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is zombie , how to kill it ,

Hello I try to googled it , but I dint get sufficient answer :( .. When I can see zombie running on server do they consume system resources or not ? I have read that is not good to kill them with signal 9 cause it might cause more troubles .. why is kill -9 so harmfull? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Zombie process

What is the overhead associated with zombie process?Is it running out of process-ID?:confused: Since some information is stored in process table.. Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jois
4 Replies
memx(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   memx(8)

Name
       memx - memory exerciser

Syntax
       /usr/field/memx [ -h ] [ -s ] [ -ofile ] [ -ti ] [ -mj ] [ -pk ]

Description
       The memory exerciser spawns processes to exercise memory by writing and reading three patterns: 1's and 0's, 0's and 1's, and a random pat-
       tern.

You specify the number of processes to spawn and the size of memory to be tested by each process. The first  process  is  a  shared  memory
       exerciser, the remaining are standard memory exercisers. The exerciser will run until the process receives a or a kill -15 pid.

A  logfile  is  made in for you to examine and then remove. If there are errors in the logfile, check the file, where the driver and kernel
       error messages are saved.

Options
       The options are:

-h	 Print the help message for the command.

-s	 Disable shared memory testing.

-ofile	 Save diagnostic output in file.

-ti	 Run time in minutes (i).  The default is to run until the process receives a or a kill -15 pid.

-mj	 The memory size in bytes (j) to be tested by each spawned process.  Must be greater than 4095.  The default is (total-memory)/20.

-pk	 The number of processes to spawn (k).	The default is 20.  The maximum is also 20.

Restrictions
       The exerciser is restricted by the size of swap space available.  The size of the swap space and the size of internal memory available will
       determine  how  many processes can run on the system.  For example, If there were 16Mbytes of swap space and 16Mbytes of memory, all of the
       swap space would be used if all 20 spawned memory exercisers were running.  In that event, no new processes would be able to run.  On  sys-
       tems  with  large amounts of memory and small swap space, you must restrict the number of memory exercisers and/or the size of memory being
       tested.

If there is a need to run a system exerciser over an NFS link or on a diskless system there are some  restrictions.   For  exercisers  that
       need  to  write into a file system, such as the target file system must be writable by root.  Also the directory, in which any of the exer-
       cisers are executed, must be writable by root because temporary files are written into the current directory.   These  latter  restrictions
       are sometimes difficult to overcome because often NFS file systems are mounted in a way that prevents root from writing into them.  Some of
       the restrictions may be overcome by copying the exerciser to another directory and then executing it.

Examples
       The following example tests all of memory by running 20 spawned processes until a or kill -15 pid is received.
       % /usr/field/memx
       The following example runs 10 spawned processes, memory size 500,000 bytes, for 180 minutes in the background.
       % /usr/field/memx -t180 -m500000 -p10 &

See Also
       Guide to System Exercisers

memx(8)