Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep char count & pipe to sed command Post 302419185 by Franklin52 on Thursday 6th of May 2010 12:21:41 PM
Old 05-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavanac2
Now be aware, my understanding of awk is limited, so im sorry if i offend with my bad code

I tested
Code:
awk '/PBZ/{s=$0;$0=(gsub("PBZ","") RS $0)}1' FileIn

however it gave me this
(,CP,(((ME,,BtM),ON),((ME,((,DG),(CW9,PG11))),CW9,TS2,RT1)))

it effectivly deleted my PBZ from my files. I tried to reslove this by deleting gsub("PBZ","") but then of course it didnt work atall

how would i go about fixing this without just saying substitute PBZ with PBZ??

Code:
awk '/PBZ/{s=$0;$0=(gsub("PBZ","PBZ") RS $0)}1' FileIn

My fault, I forgot the variable s in the substitution, try this:
Code:
awk '/PBZ/{s=$0;$0=(gsub("PBZ","",s) RS $0)}1' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe grep command

Hi all, Can someone help me with the following problem. I am executing the following command: (search for occurences of 'error' in files that match cl-*.log expression) > grep -cw -i --max-count=1 'error' cl-*.log this command outputs: cl-apache.log:1 cl-apache_error.log:1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: epro66
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pipe results of Grep Command to LS Comand

I'm using the command grep -l XYZ to get a list of files containing the string XYZ. Then I using the comand ls -l ABC to get the create date timestamp of the each file. I've tried combining the comands using the pipe command, grep -l XYZ | ls -l, but its not working. What am I doing wrong? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhtate
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe output of grep to sed?

Is there a way I can do this: search for text and replace line containing matched text with a different line? For example: "I want to replace text" I want to search for replace and then change the line to I am perplexed. Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsh
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed with grep & sed

On one of my servers, it appears that a bunch of html files got the following code added to it... I was going to try to remove this line using grep & sed... as sample grep -lr -e 'apples' *.html | xargs sed -i 's/apples/oranges/g' I can get the grep portion to work... grep "<script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: djlane
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unterminated `s' command

I have read many threads, but I still didn't find the right answer. May be i didn't find the right thread, though are so many threads for the same question. Basically the situation is - find date in a file and replace it with another date. (its not homework, its part of lot of a big processing,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: avinthm
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with grep & count in ksh

Hello, I have input file with queue names No.esprd.Queue|No.esdev.Queue|||n|120|No_User||No_User| No.esdev.Queue|No.esdev.Queue|||n|120|No_User||No_User| I have to check if the input file contains word "esprd" and the number of times it occurs. I will have to do further... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Green_Star
22 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

applescript & grep - sed command

I'm new using Unix commands in applescript. The following script you choose different folders with PDfs, get file count of PDfs on chosen folders, & write the results in text file. set target_folder to choose folder with prompt "Choose target folders containing only PDFs to count files" with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nellbern
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed returns error "sed: -e expression #1, char 18: unterminated `s' command"

Hello All, I have something like below LDC100/rel/prod/libinactrl.a LAA2000/rel/prod/libinactrl.a I want to remove till first forward slash that is outputshould be as below rel/prod/libinactrl.a rel/prod/libinactrl.a How can I do that ??? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: -e expression #1, char 2: extra characters after command

Greetings.. getting the error while execution of the script, correct where i am missing #!/bin/bash DATE=`date +%Y-%m-%d:::%H:%M` HOSTNAME=`hostname` TXT="/log/temp.txt" LOGPATH="/log1/commanlogs/" IP=`/sbin/ifconfig | grep -i inet| head -n1| awk '{print $2}'| awk -F : '{print $2}'`... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manju98458
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use less pipe for grep or awk sed to print the line not include xx yy zz

cat file |grep -v "xx" | grep -v "yy" |grep -v "zz" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies
slaev2.f(3)							      LAPACK							       slaev2.f(3)

NAME
slaev2.f - SYNOPSIS
Functions/Subroutines subroutine slaev2 (A, B, C, RT1, RT2, CS1, SN1) SLAEV2 Function/Subroutine Documentation subroutine slaev2 (realA, realB, realC, realRT1, realRT2, realCS1, realSN1) SLAEV2 Purpose: SLAEV2 computes the eigendecomposition of a 2-by-2 symmetric matrix [ A B ] [ B C ]. On return, RT1 is the eigenvalue of larger absolute value, RT2 is the eigenvalue of smaller absolute value, and (CS1,SN1) is the unit right eigenvector for RT1, giving the decomposition [ CS1 SN1 ] [ A B ] [ CS1 -SN1 ] = [ RT1 0 ] [-SN1 CS1 ] [ B C ] [ SN1 CS1 ] [ 0 RT2 ]. Parameters: A A is REAL The (1,1) element of the 2-by-2 matrix. B B is REAL The (1,2) element and the conjugate of the (2,1) element of the 2-by-2 matrix. C C is REAL The (2,2) element of the 2-by-2 matrix. RT1 RT1 is REAL The eigenvalue of larger absolute value. RT2 RT2 is REAL The eigenvalue of smaller absolute value. CS1 CS1 is REAL SN1 SN1 is REAL The vector (CS1, SN1) is a unit right eigenvector for RT1. Author: Univ. of Tennessee Univ. of California Berkeley Univ. of Colorado Denver NAG Ltd. Date: November 2011 Further Details: RT1 is accurate to a few ulps barring over/underflow. RT2 may be inaccurate if there is massive cancellation in the determinant A*C-B*B; higher precision or correctly rounded or correctly truncated arithmetic would be needed to compute RT2 accurately in all cases. CS1 and SN1 are accurate to a few ulps barring over/underflow. Overflow is possible only if RT1 is within a factor of 5 of overflow. Underflow is harmless if the input data is 0 or exceeds underflow_threshold / macheps. Definition at line 121 of file slaev2.f. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for LAPACK from the source code. Version 3.4.1 Sun May 26 2013 slaev2.f(3)