Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Partial average of a column with awk Post 302419138 by Franklin52 on Thursday 6th of May 2010 11:17:17 AM
Old 05-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMini
Thanks!
I do not fully understand the use of the coma between NR==11 and NR==17
It selects records in the range between the 2 conditions.
Quote:
just by curiosity, how would you increment by 2 for example? (to sum on even lines for example)
This uses the modulo operator % to select the even lines:
Code:
awk '!(NR%2){sum+=$3;i++}END{print sum/i}' $FILE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use awk to calculate average of column 3

Suppose I have 500 files in a directory and I need to Use awk to calculate average of column 3 for each of the file, how would I do that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Partial Column extraction/Process/Repasting changed Columns back to Source file

I have the following requirement. file1.txt (this could contain 5 million rows) ABC 1234 XYZ .... (3000 bytes) QRD 4612 GHT .... (3000 bytes) I need to create file2.txt 1234 4612 I have a EAI process to change file2.txt into file3.txt 4555 3743 Then I would have to use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jostul
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: how to get average based on certain column

Hi, I'm new to shell programming, can anyone help me on this? I want to do following operations - 1. Average salary for each country 2. Total salary for each city and data that looks like - salary country city 10000 zzz BN 25000 zzz BN 30000 zzz BN 10000 yyy ZN 15000 yyy ZN ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Print partial line/partial field

Hello, this is probably a simple request but I've been toying with it for a while. I have a large list of devices and commands that were run with a script, now I have lines such as: a-router-hostname-C#show ver I want to print everything up to (and excluding) the # and everything after it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ippy98
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed to extract column bases on partial match

Hi I have a log file which has outputs like the one below conn=24,196 op=1 RESULT err=0 tag=0 nentries=9 etime=3,712 dbtime=0 mem=486,183,328/2,147,483,648 Now most of the time I am only interested in the time ( the first column) and a column that begins with etime i.e... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkabali
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the average of a column based on the value of another column

Hi, I would like to calculate the average of column 'y' based on the value of column 'pos'. For example, here is file1 id pos y c 11 1 220 aa 11 4333 207 f 11 5333 112 ee 11 11116 305 e 11 11117 310 r 11 22228 781 gg 11 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackken007
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Average by specific column value, awk

Hi, I am searching for an awk-script that computes the mean values for the $2 column, but addicted to the values in the $1 column. It also should delete the unnecessary lines after computing... An example (for some reason I cant use the code tag button): cat list.txt 1 10 1 30 1 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjoern456
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get column average using ID

I have a file that looks like this: id window BV 1 1 0.5 1 2 0.2 1 3 0.1 2 1 0.5 2 2 0.1 2 3 0.2 3 1 0.4 3 2 0.6 3 3 0.8 Using awk, how would I get the average BV for window 1? Output like this: window avgBV 1 0.47 2 0.23 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwbucha
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check first column - average second column based on a condition

Hi, My input file Gene1 1 Gene1 2 Gene1 3 Gene1 0 Gene2 0 Gene2 0 Gene2 4 Gene2 8 Gene3 9 Gene3 9 Gene4 0 Condition: If the first column matches, then look in the second column. If there is a value of zero in the second column, then don't consider that record while averaging. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for partial matches in particular column

I have a list a b c d I want to search this list to have partial matches in column 2 in data file col1 col2 col3 1 a/e aa 2 b/e aa 3 z/y aa 4 t/u bb 5 d/f aa 6 a/t aa and extract the relevant rows with header (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianp83
4 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)