Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Partial average of a column with awk Post 302419112 by DMini on Thursday 6th of May 2010 10:35:28 AM
Old 05-06-2010
Thanks anbu23! I just have one question:
I tried with only one FILE_${m} containing 1.0 in each line on column 3.
So the average should be 7*1.0/7 = 1.0, but instead I get 0.142857 which is equal to 1/7.
So I replaced your solution with:
AVERAGE=$(awk ' NR==11 && NR<= 17{sum +=$3; if(NR == 17){exit}} END {print sum}' $FILE)

This time it works, but I don't understand why... any idea?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use awk to calculate average of column 3

Suppose I have 500 files in a directory and I need to Use awk to calculate average of column 3 for each of the file, how would I do that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Partial Column extraction/Process/Repasting changed Columns back to Source file

I have the following requirement. file1.txt (this could contain 5 million rows) ABC 1234 XYZ .... (3000 bytes) QRD 4612 GHT .... (3000 bytes) I need to create file2.txt 1234 4612 I have a EAI process to change file2.txt into file3.txt 4555 3743 Then I would have to use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jostul
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: how to get average based on certain column

Hi, I'm new to shell programming, can anyone help me on this? I want to do following operations - 1. Average salary for each country 2. Total salary for each city and data that looks like - salary country city 10000 zzz BN 25000 zzz BN 30000 zzz BN 10000 yyy ZN 15000 yyy ZN ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - Print partial line/partial field

Hello, this is probably a simple request but I've been toying with it for a while. I have a large list of devices and commands that were run with a script, now I have lines such as: a-router-hostname-C#show ver I want to print everything up to (and excluding) the # and everything after it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ippy98
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed to extract column bases on partial match

Hi I have a log file which has outputs like the one below conn=24,196 op=1 RESULT err=0 tag=0 nentries=9 etime=3,712 dbtime=0 mem=486,183,328/2,147,483,648 Now most of the time I am only interested in the time ( the first column) and a column that begins with etime i.e... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkabali
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the average of a column based on the value of another column

Hi, I would like to calculate the average of column 'y' based on the value of column 'pos'. For example, here is file1 id pos y c 11 1 220 aa 11 4333 207 f 11 5333 112 ee 11 11116 305 e 11 11117 310 r 11 22228 781 gg 11 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackken007
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Average by specific column value, awk

Hi, I am searching for an awk-script that computes the mean values for the $2 column, but addicted to the values in the $1 column. It also should delete the unnecessary lines after computing... An example (for some reason I cant use the code tag button): cat list.txt 1 10 1 30 1 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjoern456
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get column average using ID

I have a file that looks like this: id window BV 1 1 0.5 1 2 0.2 1 3 0.1 2 1 0.5 2 2 0.1 2 3 0.2 3 1 0.4 3 2 0.6 3 3 0.8 Using awk, how would I get the average BV for window 1? Output like this: window avgBV 1 0.47 2 0.23 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwbucha
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check first column - average second column based on a condition

Hi, My input file Gene1 1 Gene1 2 Gene1 3 Gene1 0 Gene2 0 Gene2 0 Gene2 4 Gene2 8 Gene3 9 Gene3 9 Gene4 0 Condition: If the first column matches, then look in the second column. If there is a value of zero in the second column, then don't consider that record while averaging. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for partial matches in particular column

I have a list a b c d I want to search this list to have partial matches in column 2 in data file col1 col2 col3 1 a/e aa 2 b/e aa 3 z/y aa 4 t/u bb 5 d/f aa 6 a/t aa and extract the relevant rows with header (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianp83
4 Replies
CGELSX(l)								 )								 CGELSX(l)

NAME
CGELSX - routine is deprecated and has been replaced by routine CGELSY SYNOPSIS
SUBROUTINE CGELSX( M, N, NRHS, A, LDA, B, LDB, JPVT, RCOND, RANK, WORK, RWORK, INFO ) INTEGER INFO, LDA, LDB, M, N, NRHS, RANK REAL RCOND INTEGER JPVT( * ) REAL RWORK( * ) COMPLEX A( LDA, * ), B( LDB, * ), WORK( * ) PURPOSE
This routine is deprecated and has been replaced by routine CGELSY. CGELSX computes the minimum-norm solution to a complex linear least squares problem: minimize || A * X - B || using a complete orthogonal factorization of A. A is an M-by-N matrix which may be rank-deficient. Several right hand side vectors b and solution vectors x can be handled in a single call; they are stored as the columns of the M-by-NRHS right hand side matrix B and the N-by-NRHS solution matrix X. The routine first computes a QR factorization with column pivoting: A * P = Q * [ R11 R12 ] [ 0 R22 ] with R11 defined as the largest leading submatrix whose estimated condition number is less than 1/RCOND. The order of R11, RANK, is the effective rank of A. Then, R22 is considered to be negligible, and R12 is annihilated by unitary transformations from the right, arriving at the complete orthogonal factorization: A * P = Q * [ T11 0 ] * Z [ 0 0 ] The minimum-norm solution is then X = P * Z' [ inv(T11)*Q1'*B ] [ 0 ] where Q1 consists of the first RANK columns of Q. ARGUMENTS
M (input) INTEGER The number of rows of the matrix A. M >= 0. N (input) INTEGER The number of columns of the matrix A. N >= 0. NRHS (input) INTEGER The number of right hand sides, i.e., the number of columns of matrices B and X. NRHS >= 0. A (input/output) COMPLEX array, dimension (LDA,N) On entry, the M-by-N matrix A. On exit, A has been overwritten by details of its complete orthogonal factorization. LDA (input) INTEGER The leading dimension of the array A. LDA >= max(1,M). B (input/output) COMPLEX array, dimension (LDB,NRHS) On entry, the M-by-NRHS right hand side matrix B. On exit, the N-by-NRHS solution matrix X. If m >= n and RANK = n, the residual sum-of-squares for the solution in the i-th column is given by the sum of squares of elements N+1:M in that column. LDB (input) INTEGER The leading dimension of the array B. LDB >= max(1,M,N). JPVT (input/output) INTEGER array, dimension (N) On entry, if JPVT(i) .ne. 0, the i-th column of A is an initial column, otherwise it is a free column. Before the QR factorization of A, all initial columns are permuted to the leading positions; only the remaining free columns are moved as a result of column pivoting during the factorization. On exit, if JPVT(i) = k, then the i-th column of A*P was the k-th column of A. RCOND (input) REAL RCOND is used to determine the effective rank of A, which is defined as the order of the largest leading triangular submatrix R11 in the QR factorization with pivoting of A, whose estimated condition number < 1/RCOND. RANK (output) INTEGER The effective rank of A, i.e., the order of the submatrix R11. This is the same as the order of the submatrix T11 in the complete orthogonal factorization of A. WORK (workspace) COMPLEX array, dimension (min(M,N) + max( N, 2*min(M,N)+NRHS )), RWORK (workspace) REAL array, dimension (2*N) INFO (output) INTEGER = 0: successful exit < 0: if INFO = -i, the i-th argument had an illegal value LAPACK version 3.0 15 June 2000 CGELSX(l)