Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing to print server
Operating Systems SCO Printing to print server Post 302418950 by pwg274 on Wednesday 5th of May 2010 09:59:33 PM
Old 05-05-2010
Printing to print server

hi everyone.

i would like to know if it possible to send a file directly on printserver,

ex: cat /etc/rc > /dev/lp0 (the parallel port)

cat /etc/rc > /dev/laser1 (laser1 is a printer with a printserver)

without using the lp command ?

i m using sco openserver 5.0.7.

thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cups print server

I have just installed cup printing software on solaris 8 and i am able to print successfully from the print server but unable to print from any of the print client in my local network subnet. i have enable browsing so that cups printer server could broadcaste itself to client. but still unable to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hassan2
1 Replies

2. SCO

Print banner appearing with remote printing

Hi, I have set up remote printing using a HP Direct Jet print server. Prints sent to the printer connected to the device prints fine except that at the end of the report the following info also appears - Users:, Class:, Job:. How can I disable this from printing. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ewart
1 Replies

3. SCO

Printing as a CUPS client, only root can print!

Hi, i'm running Openserver 5.0.7 as a CUPS client for a Linux server. The root user can issue a "lpstat -t" to see the printers and can submit jobs without issues. The problem presents when I try to work as a regular user. If I issue an "lpstat -t" all I get after a few seconds is "lpstat:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyruspy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print - for printing whole line, but delimeters are changed to spaces

Hi consider the source file R|field1|field2 using the print statement in awk prints it as R field1 field2 Is there an easier way to print the whole line in its original format (i.e. with | delimiters) than doing print $1"|"$2"|"$3 ?? Thanks Storms (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Storms
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with printing to a print server from Suse 11

All; I really have 2 questions 1) How can I tell what filter file is attached to a printer ? 2) Is ther an easy way to script a socket (port9100) command to send print files to the print server? Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hughie
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Setting up Solaris 10 to print to a windows print server

Guys, I have a issue that I am trying to rectify please advise. lpstat -t shows scheduler is running printer lext644 disabled since Mon Dec 02 19:48:18 2013. available.I have restarted the printer service and it shows online but the above says disabled. I have a lot of jobs in the print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrywhitejr
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo printing a line in 2 lines; expected to print in one line

Dear All, fileName: therm.txt nc3h7o2h 7/27/98 thermc 3h 8o 2 0g 300.000 5000.000 1390.000 41 1.47017550e+01 1.71731699e-02-5.91205329e-06 9.21842570e-10-5.36438880e-14 2 -2.99988556e+04-4.93387892e+01 2.34710908e+00 4.34517484e-02-2.65357553e-05 3 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert FF (feed form) in text file so that when printing the printer print on a new page accordingly

Hello. First happy new year to everybody. I have a script that generate a text file ( /tmp/part_list.txt for example ). This file can be edited using a kde graphical text editor like kate or kwrite The file can be printed out from command line or within the text editor using the print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print a python script down a list in a text file without printing a lot combinations

In a python script I have 2 files printing side by side on the same line. I want to have 1 of the files to be already displayed at once while the other file print down the list in the file and it still will produce new lines. I want to do it like that to reduce printing a lot of lines and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigvito19
0 Replies
LPT(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    LPT(4)

NAME
lpt -- generic printer device driver SYNOPSIS
device ppc device ppbus device lpt DESCRIPTION
The current lpt driver is the port of the original lpt driver to the ppbus(4) system. One purpose of this port was to allow parallel port sharing with other parallel devices. Secondly, inb()/outb() calls have been replaced by ppbus function calls. lpt is now arch-independent thanks to the ppbus interface. See ppbus(4) for more info about the ppbus system. The parallel port bus is allocated by lpt when the printer device is opened and released only when the transfer is completed: either when the device is closed or when the entire buffer is sent in interrupt driven mode. The driver can be configured to be either interrupt-driven, or to poll the printer. Ports that are configured to be interrupt-driven can be switched to polled mode by using the lptcontrol(8) command. Depending on your hardware, extended capabilities may be configured with the lptcontrol(8) command. With an ECP/ISA port, you can take advantage of FIFO and DMA. In order to retrieve printer info from /dev/lpt0, just apply the cat command to the device. If the printer supports IEEE1284 nibble mode and has data to send to the host, you will get it. FILES
/dev/lpt0 first parallel port driver SEE ALSO
ppbus(4), ppc(4), lptcontrol(8) HISTORY
This driver replaces the functionality of the lpa driver, which is now defunct. BUGS
There are lots of them, especially in cheap parallel port implementations. It is only possible to open a lpt port when a printer is connected and on-line, making it impossible to run lptcontrol(8) when there is no printer connected. This driver could still stand a rewrite. BSD
February 14, 1999 BSD