Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is there any command in the Bourne shell? Post 302418714 by methyl on Wednesday 5th of May 2010 10:35:27 AM
Old 05-05-2010
Small problem with the data. The second word does not spell "adios".

Code:
DEC=0097  OCT=141  CHAR=a
DEC=0064  OCT=100  CHAR=@
DEC=0069  OCT=105  CHAR=E
DEC=0111  OCT=157  CHAR=o
DEC=0115  OCT=163  CHAR=s
a@Eos

DEC=0097  OCT=141  CHAR=a
DEC=0100  OCT=144  CHAR=d
DEC=0105  OCT=151  CHAR=i
DEC=0111  OCT=157  CHAR=o
DEC=0115  OCT=163  CHAR=s
adios

I used "bc" to convert from decimal to octal then echo to display the character. Neither of these commands are in bash so there is no point in posting my code.

---------- Post updated at 15:35 ---------- Previous update was at 12:18 ----------

One way to convert from decimal to ascii in modern shell (e.g. bash). There may be better methods.

This script outputs the letter "a" by converting decimal 97 to octal 141 (which is held as 8#141) removes the "8#" prefix then outputs the character equivalent of octal 141 with "print".

Code:
typeset -i8 OCT         # Octal number
typeset -i10 DEC        # Decimal number
DEC=97
OCT=${DEC}
# ${OCT} now contains 8#octal_no
# remove 8# prefix
OCT2=${OCT##8#}
print "\0${OCT2}"

Last edited by methyl; 05-05-2010 at 08:24 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum command length in bourne shell

Hi, I wanted to know what is the maximum length of command which can be run on a bourne (sh) shell? Where can I find that information? Is it different for different OS flavors? Please help. Thanks, Vineet (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne Shell Script that only takes command line arguments

Does anybody know how to Accept a “userid” as a command line argument on a Unix Bourne Shell Script? The output should be something like this: User userid has a home directory of /path/directory the default shell for this user is /path/shell (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaira
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does anybody know how to Accept a “userid” as a command line argument on a Unix Bourne Shell Script? The output should be something like this: User userid has a home directory of /path/directory the default shell for this user is /path/shell (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does anybody know how to Accept a “userid” as a command line argument on a Unix Bourne Shell Script? The output should be something like this: User userid has a home directory of /path/directory the default shell for this user is /path/shell (5 Replies)
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to activate Korn Shell functionnalities in Bourne Shell

Hi All I have writing a Korn Shell script to execute it on many of our servers. But some servers don't have Korn Shell installed, they use Borne Shell. Some operations like calculation don't work : cat ${file1} | tail -$((${num1}-${num2})) > ${file2} Is it possible to activate Korn Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

10. AIX

Alias Command in Bourne Shell

Hi My Unix sever is AIX 5.3. My Login shell ( using echo $SHELL) is /bin/sh implying it is a Bourne Shell. My Question is that i am still able to use Alias command to create/retrieve aliases. I have read in several sites on Unix online that the Bourne Shell does not support Aliases but... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
12 Replies
TR(1)								   User Commands							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate or delete characters SYNOPSIS
tr [OPTION]... SET1 [SET2] DESCRIPTION
Translate, squeeze, and/or delete characters from standard input, writing to standard output. -c, -C, --complement use the complement of SET1 -d, --delete delete characters in SET1, do not translate -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each sequence of a repeated character that is listed in the last specified SET, with a single occurrence of that character -t, --truncate-set1 first truncate SET1 to length of SET2 --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SETs are specified as strings of characters. Most represent themselves. Interpreted sequences are: NNN character with octal value NNN (1 to 3 octal digits) \ backslash a audible BEL  backspace f form feed new line return horizontal tab v vertical tab CHAR1-CHAR2 all characters from CHAR1 to CHAR2 in ascending order [CHAR*] in SET2, copies of CHAR until length of SET1 [CHAR*REPEAT] REPEAT copies of CHAR, REPEAT octal if starting with 0 [:alnum:] all letters and digits [:alpha:] all letters [:blank:] all horizontal whitespace [:cntrl:] all control characters [:digit:] all digits [:graph:] all printable characters, not including space [:lower:] all lower case letters [:print:] all printable characters, including space [:punct:] all punctuation characters [:space:] all horizontal or vertical whitespace [:upper:] all upper case letters [:xdigit:] all hexadecimal digits [=CHAR=] all characters which are equivalent to CHAR Translation occurs if -d is not given and both SET1 and SET2 appear. -t may be used only when translating. SET2 is extended to length of SET1 by repeating its last character as necessary. Excess characters of SET2 are ignored. Only [:lower:] and [:upper:] are guaranteed to expand in ascending order; used in SET2 while translating, they may only be used in pairs to specify case conversion. -s uses the last specified SET, and occurs after translation or deletion. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report tr translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/tr> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) tr invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TR(1)