Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count number of occurences of a character in a field defined by the character in another field Post 302418204 by vidyadhar85 on Monday 3rd of May 2010 01:24:18 PM
Old 05-03-2010
please post your effort

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to count no of occurences of a character in a string in UNIX

i have a string like echo "a|b|c" . i want to count the | symbols in this string . how to do this .plz tell the command (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamesh83
11 Replies

2. HP-UX

count occurences of specific character in the file

For counting the occurences of specific character in the file I am issuing the command grep -o 'character' filename | wc -w It works in other shells but not in HP-UX as there is no option -o for grep. What do I do now? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get 4 character each from 2 different fields concatenate and add as a new field

Hi, I have a huge text file. It looks like abcde bangalo country 12345 lastfield i want to get first 3 characters from field1 and first 3 characters from field 2 and insert the result as a new field. example the result should be: abcde bangalo abcban country 12345 lastfield Please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajithshankar@ho
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a character to the last but one field on a specific line?

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h n I want: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h , n ggg p t e d u qqq i o s , k (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

An easier way to move character from field to a new line

Hi ! Is there a more convenient way to do the following: When, in $2, there is more then one letter (separated by ","), it returns the letter on the second position to a new line in $2 with the same content in $1 and $3 as the line this letter comes from. infile: aaaaa A,B 1,2,3,4,5... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a field with a character as per the field length

Hi all, I have a requirement to replace a field with a character as per the length of the field. Suppose i have a file where second field is of 20 character length. I want to replace second field with 20 stars (*). like ******************** As the field is not a fixed one, i want to do the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Awk: count occurrence of each character for every field

Hi, let's say an input looks like: A|C|C|D A|C|I|E A|B|I|C A|T|I|B as the title of the thread explains, I am trying to get something like: 1|A=4 2|C=2|B=1|T=1 3|I=3|C=1 4|D=1|E=1|C=1|B=1 i.e. a count of every character in each field (first column of output) independently, sorted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurences of a character in a file by sorting results

Hello, I try to sort results of occurences in an array by using awk but I can't find the right command. that's why I'm asking your help ! :) Please see below the command that I run: awk '{ for ( i=1; i<=length; i++ ) arr++ }END{ for ( i in arr ) { print i, arr } }' dictionnary.txt ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: destin45
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace value in each field until a certain character in each record?

Each record coming with column names. I have to replace them in each record as shown below TIME=20181219110000261|CHAN=FMBKHJBAAAADPCFNAAAAAABA|EVNT=SWIclst|VALU=Session FMBKHJBAAAADPCFNAAAAAABA started|SRC=NSS|UCPU=0|SCPU=0 Output should look like: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakar1987
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to repeat a character in a field if it's a single character?

I have a csv dataset like this : C,rs18768 G,rs13785 GA,rs1065 G,rs1801279 T,rs9274407 A,rs730012 I'm thinking of use like awk, sed to covert the dataset to this format: (if it's two character, then keep the same) CC,rs18768 GG,rs13785 GA,rs1065 GG,rs1801279 TT,rs9274407... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
7 Replies
Tcl_UtfToUpper(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_UtfToUpper(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_UniCharToUpper, Tcl_UniCharToLower, Tcl_UniCharToTitle, Tcl_UtfToUpper, Tcl_UtfToLower, Tcl_UtfToTitle - routines for manipulating the case of Unicode characters and UTF-8 strings SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_UniChar Tcl_UniCharToUpper(ch) Tcl_UniChar Tcl_UniCharToLower(ch) Tcl_UniChar Tcl_UniCharToTitle(ch) int Tcl_UtfToUpper(str) int Tcl_UtfToLower(str) int Tcl_UtfToTitle(str) ARGUMENTS
int ch (in) The Tcl_UniChar to be converted. char *str (in/out) Pointer to UTF-8 string to be converted in place. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The first three routines convert the case of individual Unicode characters: If ch represents a lower-case character, Tcl_UniCharToUpper returns the corresponding upper-case character. If no upper-case character is defined, it returns the character unchanged. If ch represents an upper-case character, Tcl_UniCharToLower returns the corresponding lower-case character. If no lower-case character is defined, it returns the character unchanged. If ch represents a lower-case character, Tcl_UniCharToTitle returns the corresponding title-case character. If no title-case character is defined, it returns the corresponding upper-case character. If no upper-case character is defined, it returns the character unchanged. Title-case is defined for a small number of characters that have a different appearance when they are at the beginning of a capitalized word. The next three routines convert the case of UTF-8 strings in place in memory: Tcl_UtfToUpper changes every UTF-8 character in str to upper-case. Because changing the case of a character may change its size, the byte offset of each character in the resulting string may differ from its original location. Tcl_UtfToUpper writes a null byte at the end of the converted string. Tcl_UtfToUpper returns the new length of the string in bytes. This new length is guaranteed to be no longer than the original string length. Tcl_UtfToLower is the same as Tcl_UtfToUpper except it turns each character in the string into its lower-case equivalent. Tcl_UtfToTitle is the same as Tcl_UtfToUpper except it turns the first character in the string into its title-case equivalent and all fol- lowing characters into their lower-case equivalents. BUGS
At this time, the case conversions are only defined for the ISO8859-1 characters. Unicode characters above 0x00ff are not modified by these routines. KEYWORDS
utf, unicode, toupper, tolower, totitle, case Tcl 8.1 Tcl_UtfToUpper(3)