Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C program to make an exact copy of the current process in Ubundu Post 302418024 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 2nd of May 2010 01:15:46 PM
Old 05-02-2010
First off -
execlp (or any exec call) clobbers the "original" process memory - it creates a brand new one. The old copy is gone for ever.

Next you have to pass the exec call a file with separated arguments
maybe something like execve "/bin/ksh", "-c", "usr/bin/grep 'hi' /path/to/somefile"
You are using a single command variable, it has to be parsed into the proper chunks.

fork() creates an exact copy, not exec.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a current running process ignore SIGHUP signal?

I ask this question since sometimes i run a time-consuming ftp in foreground and forget to use nohup ftp.sh & to put this work background and can still running after i log off. Assume this ftp task have run 1 hour, and still 1 hour time to end, i don't want to abort the ftp, first, i use ctrl+Z... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensxiao
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering exact process name from ps

Hi Gurus, I have two processes running on a Unix box, named say, PRCS1 and PRCS1X. I want to check whether process PRCS1 is running or not, and depending on that I have to make further decisions while writing a shell script. I am using: ps -eaf|grep PRCS1|grep -v grep But the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running different process from current process?

I have been having some trouble trying to get some code working, so I was wondering...what system calls are required to execute a different program from an already running process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Midwest Product
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the exact process in perl script

I am working on one script where I need to grep the exact process in perl script. for e.g. when I run simple grep command on the linux machine it gives me two process mGateway_mvc_q01 and mGateway_mvc_q01_v7 which is not the correct result.I tried to use ( ps -eAf | grep ^mGateway_mvc_q01$) but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies

8. Solaris

How to make an exact image copy of a SCSI hard drive in Solaris 8 OS?

To Solaris 8 Experts, Please let me know what's the best method / procedure as well as the Solaris 8 commands for accomplishing the following tasks on a production Sun Enterprise 250 Server running Sun Solaris 8 Operating System: 1. Make an exact image/copy of the SCSI Hard Drive in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssabet
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to get exact tomcat process I am running ignoring other java process

Team, I have multiple batchjobs running in VM, if I do ps -ef |grep java or tomcat I am getting multiple process list. How do I get my exact tomcat process running and that is unique? via shell script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghanshyam Ratho
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the exact process using ps aux command?

Please do not post a technical question in the @How to contact....' forum. I have moved this for you. Hello Everyone, Please help me on this, Requirement here is to check whether the process is running using the process id. For the below scenario, I m trying to grep 1750 process id to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari A
3 Replies
FORK(3F)																  FORK(3F)

NAME
fork - create a copy of this process SYNOPSIS
integer function fork() DESCRIPTION
Fork creates a copy of the calling process. The only distinction between the 2 processes is that the value returned to one of them (referred to as the `parent' process) will be the process id of the copy. The copy is usually referred to as the `child' process. The value returned to the `child' process will be zero. All logical units open for writing are flushed before the fork to avoid duplication of the contents of I/O buffers in the external file(s). If the returned value is negative, it indicates an error and will be the negation of the system error code. See perror(3F). A corresponding exec routine has not been provided because there is no satisfactory way to retain open logical units across the exec. How- ever, the usual function of fork/exec can be performed using system(3F). FILES
/usr/lib/libU77.a SEE ALSO
fork(2), wait(3F), kill(3F), system(3F), perror(3F) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 27, 1986 FORK(3F)