Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shared libs
Top Forums Programming shared libs Post 302417317 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 29th of April 2010 06:42:57 AM
Old 04-29-2010
The static link is telling you, in so many words, that the runtime code does not exist in the .a file(s) used to make a static link - the archive does not have the entry point for the getaddrinfo() call.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

compiling with include & libs

I like to compile a cxx file with g++ compiler. I tried with option g++ -I<include path> -L<library path> source-file but ending with compilation error in /usr/local/bin/gcc-lib/.../crt1.o I think the libraries are not taken from proper path How to compile a cxx file with libraries... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ls1429
1 Replies

2. Programming

default location of libs in dlopen

Hi Where is the default location of libs to search, when we specify any lib in dlopen function. And if we want to specify a custom location, how will we do it? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumsin
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

who to compile needed libs with Make

Hello all my project is contains 2 directories, 2 directories are building library and one for the executable that using the libes from the other 2 Now what im doing is compiling first the 2 libs directories and then the main directory. But I will like to automate the process and to be able ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

4. Programming

Seeking Some libs for AIX 5.3

hello everybody! I m compiling some program with the g++ on AIX 5.3 and it needs some library that i didn't find them i am new with the AIX here is the compilation error : g++ -Daix -fpic -o printps -lxercesc1_1 -L/oracle/OraHome/lib32/ -L/epost2/blitz/lib -lhmltods -lhmltops -lgeneric... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eternalflame
0 Replies

5. AIX

Q: AIX dynamic linked libs

I think the default extension on AIX is .a so for dynamic lib "libabc.a", we can simply link against it by specifying "-labc" but here I have a dylib which been built by some one else called "libxyz.so" on AIX. once I say "-lxyz" the linker is only looking for libxzy.a but not .so after that.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acerlinux
2 Replies

6. AIX

runtime libs accessed by application in AIX

Hi , I need some inputs on runtime or shared libs for an application(s) in AIX . i have a requirement saying i need to rehost all the production applications into new AIX OS . Here Source and target oS is AIX but with different versions so for this i need to identify what are the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naren_chella
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a 'Mad Libs' program using Ruby?

How would I go about writing a 'Mad Libs' type program using Ruby? Any examples would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: greeky
0 Replies

8. SuSE

How to get RPM Dependencies/libs

Hi All, I wanted to install an rpm package on two suse 10 systems. It installed successfully on one system but on the other it throws an error like error: Failed dependencies: rpmlib(PayloadIsLzma) <= 4.4.2-1 is needed by linuxProj-1-1.noarch Now this means that rpnm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirshah
4 Replies

9. AIX

Create shared libs on AIX (with certain libs which are statically linked)

I want to create a shared lib with certain libs statically linked to it. I can generate a fully shared lib as follows: gcc -maix64 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I./src -DHAVE_OPENSSL -I/usr/include/openssl -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/apr-1 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -I/usr/java8_64/include -shared -o... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amandeepgautam
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Required libs to compile libXft

Hello. I am looking for all the necessary packages required to be able to compile libXft. I tried to compile libXft-2.1.8.2$ and the error message was: checking for XRENDER... checking for XRENDER... checking for X... no checking X11/extensions/Xrender.h usability... no checking... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colt
1 Replies
ar(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     ar(4)

NAME
ar - common archive file format SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The command is used to concatenate several files into an archive file (see ar(1)). Archives are used mainly as libraries to be searched by the link editor (see ld(1)). Each archive begins with the archive magic string. Following the archive magic string are the archive file members. Each file member is preceded by a file member header which is of the fol- lowing format: All information in the file member headers is in printable ASCII. The numeric information contained in the headers is stored as decimal numbers (except for which is in octal). Thus, if the archive contains printable files, the archive itself is printable. The contents of the field are slash terminated and blank-padded. The field is the modification date of the file at the time of its inser- tion into the archive. Common format archives can be moved from system to system as long as the portable archive command is used. Note that older versions of did not use the common archive format, and those archives cannot be read or written by the common archiver. Each archive file member begins on an even byte boundary; a new-line character is inserted between files if necessary. Nevertheless, the size given reflects the actual size of the file exclusive of padding. Notice there is no provision for empty areas in an archive file. If the archive symbol table exists, the first file in the archive has a zero-length name (i.e., and The contents of this archive member are machine-dependent. Refer to the appropriate a.out(4) manual entry for more information. Each archive which contains object files (see a.out(4)) may include an archive symbol table. This symbol table is used by the link editor (see ld(1)) to determine which archive members must be loaded during the link edit process. The archive symbol table (if it exists) is always the first member in the archive (but is never listed) and is automatically created and/or updated by If a member with a file name greater than 15 bytes exists within the archive, then the archive will also contain an additional special mem- ber to store the long file name string table. The special string table member has a zero length name where and If a special string table exists, it will precede all non-special archive members. If both a symbol table member and a string table member exist then the symbol table member will always precede the string table member. Each entry in the string table is followed by a slash and a new-line character. The offset of the table begins at zero. If an archive mem- ber name exceeds 15 bytes, then the entry in the member's header does not contain a name, instead it contains the offset into the string table preceded by a slash. For example, the member name contains in the field. This value represents the offset into the string table. The member name contains in the field. The long name string table would have the following format: +0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 +6 +7 +8 +9 +---------------------------------------------------------- 0| t | h | i | s | i | s | a | v | e | r | +---------------------------------------------------------- 10| y | l | o | n | g | f | i | l | e | n | +---------------------------------------------------------- 20| a | m | e | . | o | / | | y | e | t | +---------------------------------------------------------- 30| a | n | o | t | h | e | r | l | o | n | +---------------------------------------------------------- 40| g | f | i | l | e | n | a | m | e | . | +---------------------------------------------------------- 50| o | / | | +---------------- SEE ALSO
System Tools: ar(1) create archived libraries ld(1) invoke the link editor Miscellaneous: a.out(4) assembler, compiler, and linker output magic(4) magic number for HP-UX implementations ranlib(1) regenerate an archive symbol table strip(1) strip symbol and line number information from an object file CAVEATS
removes the archive symbol table member from the archive (see strip(1)). The archive symbol table must be restored by using the option of the command or the ranlib(1) command before the archive can be used with the link editor. ar(4)