Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Joining 3 AWK scripts to avoid use "temp" files Post 302417195 by cgkmal on Wednesday 28th of April 2010 10:33:46 PM
Old 04-28-2010
Joining 3 AWK scripts to avoid use "temp" files

Hi everyone,

Looking for a suggestion to improve the below script in which I´ve been working.

The thing is I have 3 separated AWK scripts that I need to apply over the inputfile, and for scripts (2) and (3) I have to use a "temp" file as their inputfile (inputfile_temp and inputfile_temp1 respectively).

I would like to join this 3 different scripts in a unique AWK whith "inputfile" as unique source file, without using temp files.

inputfile is as follow ($7 is empty):

Code:
HEADER_1,HEADER_2,HEADER_3,HEADER_4,HEADER_5,HEADER_6,HEADER_7
pattern2,pattern7/Sub data1/Sub data2,pattern8,pattern9,pattern2,pattern2,
pattern3,pattern6/Sub data1/Sub data2,pattern7,pattern3,pattern5,pattern1,
pattern5,pattern9/Sub data1/Sub data2,pattern4,pattern8,pattern4,pattern1,
pattern1,pattern5/Sub data1/Sub data2,pattern5,pattern2,pattern5,pattern2,
pattern6,pattern7/Sub data1/Sub data2,pattern1,pattern6,pattern2,pattern3,
pattern3,pattern8/Sub data1/Sub data2,pattern9,pattern7,pattern5,pattern8,
pattern8,pattern2/Sub data1/Sub data2,pattern3,pattern2,pattern8,pattern1,
pattern2,pattern4/Sub data1/Sub data2,pattern9,pattern1,pattern9,pattern9,

The script that works (Let say Divided_Script) is as follow (with each routine a little bit explained):
Code:
### 1-) Filter to search "pattern1" and "pattern2" within any column in inputfile ###
awk  'BEGIN{FS=OFS=","} /HEADER/||/pattern1/||/pattern2.*pattern1/||/pattern1.*pattern2/' inputfile > inputfile_temp

### 2-) 2nd filter to exclude lines containing "pattern4", "pattern5" and "pattern6" in column 2 ####
awk  'BEGIN{FS=OFS=","} $2 !~ /pattern4|pattern5|pattern6/' inputfile_temp > inputfile_temp1

### 3-) Make column 7 = Column 2 and after that renaming column 7 header with "NEW_HEADER" ###
awk  'BEGIN{FS=OFS=","} {$7=$2} NR==1{$7="NEW_HEADER"} 

### 3.1-) Deleting the string "/Sub data1/Sub data2" for every line in column 7, which now has the same data of $2 ###
{sub(/\/.*/,"",$7)}

### 3.2-) Printing the final output in a new desired order ###
{print $1,$7,$3,$4,$5,$6,$2}' inputfile_temp1 > outputfile

The Desired and Correct Output using "inputfile" and "Divided_Script" is:
Code:
HEADER_1,NEW_HEADER,HEADER_3,HEADER_4,HEADER_5,HEADER_6,HEADER_2
pattern5,pattern9,pattern4,pattern8,pattern4,pattern1,pattern9/Sub data1/Sub data2
pattern6,pattern7,pattern1,pattern6,pattern2,pattern3,pattern7/Sub data1/Sub data2
pattern8,pattern2,pattern3,pattern2,pattern8,pattern1,pattern2/Sub data1/Sub data2

But when I try to join the routines in a unique AWK script invoking only once AWK command with the next script (Let say Unified_Script):
Code:
*Basically removing "awk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS=","}" from routines (2) and (3).

### 1-) Filter to search "pattern1" and "pattern2" within any column in inputfile ###
awk  'BEGIN{FS=OFS=","} {/HEADER/||/pattern1/||/pattern2.*pattern1/||/pattern1.*pattern2/}

### 2-) 2nd filter to exclude lines containing "pattern4", "pattern5" and "pattern6" in column 2 ####
$2 !~ /pattern4|pattern5|pattern6/

### 3-) Make column 7 = Column 2 and after that renaming column 7 header with "NEW_HEADER" ###
{$7=$2} NR==1{$7="NEW_HEADER"} 

### 4-) Deleting the string "/Sub data1/Sub data2" for every line in column 2 ###
{sub(/\/.*/,"",$7)}

### 5-) Printing the final output in a new desired order ###
{print $1,$7,$3,$4,$5,$6,$2}' inputfile > outputfile

Then the resulting output using "inputfile" and "Unified_Script" is wrong, and it seems that prints the original file merged with the lines processed by routines 3, 4 and 5 in "Unified_Script", but the without the filter that should apply routines 1 and 2 because appear lines that don´t contain pattern1 or pattern2.

Code:
HEADER_1,HEADER_2,HEADER_3,HEADER_4,HEADER_5,HEADER_6,HEADER_7
HEADER_1,NEW_HEADER,HEADER_3,HEADER_4,HEADER_5,HEADER_6,HEADER_2
pattern2,pattern7/Sub data1/Sub data2,pattern8,pattern9,pattern2,pattern2,
pattern2,pattern7,pattern8,pattern9,pattern2,pattern2,pattern7/Sub data1/Sub data2
pattern3,pattern6,pattern7,pattern3,pattern5,pattern1,pattern6/Sub data1/Sub data2
pattern5,pattern9/Sub data1/Sub data2,pattern4,pattern8,pattern4,pattern1,
pattern5,pattern9,pattern4,pattern8,pattern4,pattern1,pattern9/Sub data1/Sub data2
pattern1,pattern5,pattern5,pattern2,pattern5,pattern2,pattern5/Sub data1/Sub data2
pattern6,pattern7/Sub data1/Sub data2,pattern1,pattern6,pattern2,pattern3,
pattern6,pattern7,pattern1,pattern6,pattern2,pattern3,pattern7/Sub data1/Sub data2
pattern3,pattern8/Sub data1/Sub data2,pattern9,pattern7,pattern5,pattern8,
pattern3,pattern8,pattern9,pattern7,pattern5,pattern8,pattern8/Sub data1/Sub data2
pattern8,pattern2/Sub data1/Sub data2,pattern3,pattern2,pattern8,pattern1,
pattern8,pattern2,pattern3,pattern2,pattern8,pattern1,pattern2/Sub data1/Sub data2
pattern2,pattern4,pattern9,pattern1,pattern9,pattern9,pattern4/Sub data1/Sub data2

I hope somebody could help me to join this 3 scripts to work as I´ve explained.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

split the string "Setview: arv-temp-view"

Hi experts, I would like to split the value of v and assign "arv-temp-view" to another variable d. I want to do it within shell script. My shell is "tcsh" v="Setview: arv-temp-view" split v and store d=arv-temp-view Please help Thanks Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. AIX

Probably an easy SMIT question- "Unable to open temp file"

Hi All, Can't find any documentation on the web for this anywhere, except about three web pages that are in Chinese. When I enter SMIT on this box, I get ERROR MESSAGE: Unable to open temp file I suspected smit.log, but it is universal readable, writeable by root, and I am root.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Solaris

How to avoid "cannot execute" issue with a runnable jar file?

I am trying to understand why the runnable jar file runs on one Unix server, but not the other with same environment settings. I copied exact same test jar from here --> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javatips/javatip127/MakeJarRunnable.zip on to both Unix servers. Then changed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid the "temp files" in my script?

Hi ! :) I noticed that I create often of temporary files to keep character strings or other and I wish to avoid that if possible ? e.g : #!/bin/bash CONFIG_FILE="conf.cfg" TEMP_HOSTNAME="temp_file1.txt" for IP in `egrep -o '({1,3}\.){3}{1,3}' $CONFIG_FILE` do ssh "$IP"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies