Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting In bash getting weird output from function ? Post 302417183 by boy18nj on Wednesday 28th of April 2010 09:23:29 PM
Old 04-28-2010
Scott, Thank you. You are the real expert. As I am a java programmer, I thought it will work this way-

Code:
result=$(times)

It will call times function and the return value will go in variable result. But no, the control went to result. So this result will be used to call the function.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Weird bootlist output

just setup a new system today - 9117 570, using HMC for console but not partitioned. I installed this system twice. the first time it started off as 5300-00, then updated to ML03. before the update, I believe I mirrored the rootvg, and then altered the bootlist, at that point, the display was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: davew1099
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

weird echo output?

#!/bin/bash INPUT=$1 if then INPUT=0$1 TRACKNUMBER=$INPUT fi TRACKNUMBER=$INPUT echo "Track Number:" $TRACKNUMBER if then echo "File Does Not Exist!: split-track"${TRACKNUMBER}".wav" exit 0 fi CUEFILE="$2" (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinCanFury
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird character in between echo function

Hi All, Appreciate if anyone can help. I've a script where it does echo function like this while do FILE_ARG="cu0${w}_${FILE}_${DT}.av" ORACLE_ERROR=`grep "ORA-" ${FILE_ARG}` if ]; then Func_Log_Writer "Fail! ${FILE_ARG}\n" Func_Log_Writer "Error message:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

format of output is weird

hi all, have a ksh script which connects to a database and runs a sql and dumps it to a '.csv' file. The problem is the result is in multiple rows with long spaces in between when it should be just a single line and this screws up the format in the '.csv' file. script is : #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

weird 'ls' output

Hi, Anyone knows why I can't display the contents of my directory and how to fix this? http://i50.tinypic.com/4smfth.jpg Thanks in advance for any advise. Deanne Double post. Continued here. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traceroute script weird output

This script is giving weird output #!/bin/bash NETPATH=(`/bin/traceroute -n 4.2.2.2 | awk '{print $2}'`) for i in "${NETPATH}" do echo $i done The output: to 11.11.11.1 1.1.1.1 99.111.208.2 traceroute_test.sh traceroute_test.sh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumbs
7 Replies

7. Programming

A weird problem with POSIX function

Hi all, Sorry for the title because I didn't find a proper name for it. My question is about POSIX functions, such as timer_create(), mq_open() and pthread_create(). void test_queue() { struct mq_attr attr; attr.mq_maxmsg = 10; attr.mq_msgsize = 64; mq_unlink("/my_test_queue");... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bus147
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

[Solved] Weird 'ls -l' output

Hello folks, I've found an HP-UX server with a rare 'ls -l' output. Please see the attached file. Anybody knows how can I change the output to not have this extra tabulations? Thanks in advance! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: carpannav
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sqlplus function output to bash

Hi, I would like to have the output from an Oracle procedure be captured into a bash variable, then emailed to me when it runs on the cron daily as such: ~~~~~bash script~~~~~~~~~~~ #!/bin/bash shellvar=`sqlplus -s <<EOF execute test(); commit; exit; EOF` echo $shellvar mail -s "email... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inlinesidekick
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Weird output from ps command

Hi Guys, I am regular Solaris user. I came across a weird problem that puzzled me. Hope you guys can help. I found that process's state(command & arguments) in two different variants of ps command is different. Can anyone explain how is this possible? bash-3.2$ ps -eLo pid,s,comm,args |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brij123
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)