Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting non empty fields and calculating with that number Post 302417024 by DerSeb on Wednesday 28th of April 2010 10:18:48 AM
Old 04-28-2010
Counting non empty fields and calculating with that number

Hello all,

I have a problem with a skript of mine:

My input has the following format

Code:
1,33296 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000018629"  0 1,33296 0
0 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000029014"  0
0,907392 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000016905"  0,907392
0 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000053370"  0
0 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000038480"  0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000019722"  0 0 0
11,4615 transcript_id"ENSRNOT00000002187"  1,40701 1,13791 1,22749 1,22412 1,57927 1,29104 1,02167 1,41525 1,15769

The first field is the sum of all fields after the $2. Now I want to add a field upfront that is the sum ($1) divided by the number of all fields that are not zero.

This is what I came up with until now:

Code:
awk 'BEGIN {cnt=0; for(i=3;i<=NF;i++) {if ($i != 0) {cnt++}}; if (cnt != 0) {print $1/cnt, $0} else {print 0,$0} }'

However, this does not work. I ran into the problem dividing by zero, so I included a second if statement. I don't know if this is allowed, though.

Best,
Seb

---------- Post updated at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:13 AM ----------

Just found the solution: Leave the "BEGIN" out and it works ;D

still a beginner!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculating sum of fields in a file

Hey, I have a file and it has only one field. I need to calculate the sum of each filed as total. For e.g my file is 1 2 3 4 5 I need to calculate the total sum as 15. Please let me know how i can do it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help counting the fields and field separators using Nawk

I need help counting the fields and field separators using Nawk. I have a file that has multiple lines on it and I need to read the file 1 at a time and then count the fields and field separators and then store those numbers in variables. I then need to delete the first 5 fields and the blank... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrappycc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculating a number

Hello all :) I need some help; I'm running the sp_spaceused command on various tables and saving the output to a file. So, I have an input file that has 3 rows - each row has 7 columns. I would like to 1) sort the file on the 4th column, 2) take the 4th column in the first row and add 25% to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stonemonolith
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Averaging all fields while counting repeated records

Hi every one; I have a 31500-line text file upon which two following tasks are to be performed: 1: Rearranging the file 2: Taking the average of each column (considering number of zeros) and output the result into a new file This is the code I've come up with: awk '(NR%3150<3150)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nxp
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem while counting number of fields in TAB delimited file

I'm facing a strange problem, please help me out. Here we go. I want to count number of fields in particular file. filename and delimiter character will be passed through parameter. On command prompt if i type following i get 27 as output (which is correct) cat customer.dat | head -1 | awk... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikanna
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting Multiple Fields with awk/nawk

I am trying to figure out a way in nawk to 1) get a count of the number of times a value appears in field 1 and 2) count each time the same value appears in field 2 for each value of field 1. So for example, if I have a text file with the following: grapes, purple apples, green squash, yellow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: he204035
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting Fields with awk

ok, so a user can specify options as is shown below: ExA: cpu.pl!23!25!-allow or ExB: cpu.pl!23!25!-block!all options are delimited by the exclamation mark. now, in example A, there are 4 options provided by the user. in example B, there are 5 options provided by the user. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut counting consecutive delimiters as fields

When cut encounters consecutive delimiters it seems to count each instance as a field, at least with spaces. Is this typical behavior for any delimiter? #:~$ ifconfig eth0 | grep HWaddr eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 94:de:80:a7:6d:e1 #:~$ ifconfig eth0 | grep HWaddr | cut -d " " -f... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riker1204
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields?

Hi, Below are the sample files. x.txt is from an Excel file that is a list of users from Windows and y.txt is a list of database account. $ head -500 x.txt y.txt ==> x.txt <== TEST01 APP_USER_PROFILE USER03 APP_USER_PROFILE TEST02 APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE TEST04 APP_USER_PROFILE USER01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
EMPTY-PAGE(1)							 ExactImage Manual						     EMPTY-PAGE(1)

NAME
empty-page - empty page detector of the ExactImage toolkit SYNOPSIS
empty-page [option...] {-i | --input} input-file empty-page {-h | --help} DESCRIPTION
ExactImage is a fast C++ image processing library. Unlike many other library frameworks it allows operation in several color spaces and bit depths natively, resulting in low memory and computational requirements. empty-page counts dark pixels of a black and white image and decides with a threshold whether the page is most probably empty, and thus can be removed from the image processing stream. OPTIONS
-i file, --input file Read image from the specified file. -m n, --margin n Set width of border margin to skip. For speed reasons, the margin has to be a multiple of 8. The default is 16. -p x, --percentage x Set fraction of permissible dark pixels. The default is 0.05 (5%). -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
$ empty-page -i test.tif The image has 75461 dark pixels from a total of 1060992 (7.11231%). non-empty EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 if the image is mostly white, 1 otherwise. SEE ALSO
exactimage(7) AUTHORS
Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> Wrote this manual page for the Debian system. http://www.exactcode.de/site/open_source/exactimage/ This manual page incorporates texts found on the ExactImage homepage. COPYRIGHT
This manual page was written for the Debian system (and may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 or (at your option) any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2. empty-page 09/09/2013 EMPTY-PAGE(1)