Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename file using sed command Post 302416923 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 28th of April 2010 05:12:13 AM
Old 04-28-2010
And another one, try it first without the coloured part:
Code:
ls DOC*.xml' |
awk -v dat=$(date +"DOC%Y%m%d%H%M%S") '
{print "mv " $0 " " dat sprintf("%02d",++c) ".xml"}
' | sh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed Command : Parse parameter file / send the lines to the ksh export command

Sorry for the duplicate thread this one is similar to the one in https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/88132-awk-sed-script-read-values-parameter-files.html#post302255121 Since there were no responses on the parent thread since it got resolved partially i thought to open the new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command to rename multiple files that retain some portion of the original file nam

Well the title is not too good, so I will explain. I need to move (rename) files using a simple AIX script. ???file1.txt ???file2.txt ???file1a.txt ???file2a.txt to be: ???renamedfile1'date'.txt ???renamedfile2'date'.txt ???renamedfile1a'date'.txt ???renamedfile2a'date'.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grimace15
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Command to rename a file in a zipped folder

Hi, I am into automation work. Is there any UNIX command to rename a file in a zipped folder, without unzipping it..??? Thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Victoria.Sam
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file rename (change in filename in unix with single command

Dear All, Please help ! i ham having 300 file with E.G. PMC1_4567.arc in seq. like PMC1_4568.arc,PMC1_4569.arc ...n and so on.. i want all those file to be rename like PMC_4567.arc ,PMC_4568.arc .. mean i want to remove 1 from first file name .. pls help.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moon_22
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

try to batch rename using sed (if this is best)

hi gooday I need some help with a rename I am attempting. I'd like to rename a bunch of files in a folder example list.dat.old to list_N.dat query.dat.old to query_N.dat note the two periods in (.dat.old) to become _N.dat I tried using sed like this ls *.dat.old | sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnstrong
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename file using sed or awk

I have a filename like 1_DATE_3_4.5_888 and I want to modify the date field (ie the last 4 digits ) alone and remove the last field. Old filename:1_DATE_3_4.5_888 Given date (for eg):120606259532 modified date:120606259899 new filename:1_<modified date>_3.4.5 (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy88
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed file rename

Ubuntu -very new to shell scripts/Linux I have many pictures with "FAMILY", "family" mixed in the file name and not all in the same directory; I want to remove "family" case insensitive from the filenames; find /media/Rock/pics/pics_bak/ -type f "*family*" | sed 's#family##gI' # works for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennyjones
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename scripts using xargs/sed

Morning all I've got loads of scripts but the names are too long! I've stuck the list in a flat file (names) and I'm trying to read that in line by line and create the new names (in to directory new) from the list. It looks like this: xargs -n1 -I{} <names cat {} | sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command / script to partially rename file

Hi I have numerous files names product_host_result_B1000842.txt product_host_result_B1000847.txt product_host_result_C1000842.txt product_host_result_C1000848.txt etc. I need them renamed so that the 'product_host_result' becomes 'output_product_host' but the rest of the filename is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed replace to rename each line a file

Have a file in this format This is line one ; line_one This is line two ; line_two This is line three ; line_three This is line four ; line four. I'm trying to make each line a new file called line_one line_two line_three line_four. Tried using split -1 but then I'm back needing to rename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
3 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)