Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting In bash getting weird output from function ? Post 302416919 by hergp on Wednesday 28th of April 2010 05:02:07 AM
Old 04-28-2010
This works for me (with bash 2 and 3).
Code:
the value is 8
the value of result inside the times function
Inside function 8

But to be on the safe side, use a different name for your function, because times is the name of a shell builtin function.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Weird bootlist output

just setup a new system today - 9117 570, using HMC for console but not partitioned. I installed this system twice. the first time it started off as 5300-00, then updated to ML03. before the update, I believe I mirrored the rootvg, and then altered the bootlist, at that point, the display was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: davew1099
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

weird echo output?

#!/bin/bash INPUT=$1 if then INPUT=0$1 TRACKNUMBER=$INPUT fi TRACKNUMBER=$INPUT echo "Track Number:" $TRACKNUMBER if then echo "File Does Not Exist!: split-track"${TRACKNUMBER}".wav" exit 0 fi CUEFILE="$2" (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinCanFury
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird character in between echo function

Hi All, Appreciate if anyone can help. I've a script where it does echo function like this while do FILE_ARG="cu0${w}_${FILE}_${DT}.av" ORACLE_ERROR=`grep "ORA-" ${FILE_ARG}` if ]; then Func_Log_Writer "Fail! ${FILE_ARG}\n" Func_Log_Writer "Error message:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

format of output is weird

hi all, have a ksh script which connects to a database and runs a sql and dumps it to a '.csv' file. The problem is the result is in multiple rows with long spaces in between when it should be just a single line and this screws up the format in the '.csv' file. script is : #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

weird 'ls' output

Hi, Anyone knows why I can't display the contents of my directory and how to fix this? http://i50.tinypic.com/4smfth.jpg Thanks in advance for any advise. Deanne Double post. Continued here. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traceroute script weird output

This script is giving weird output #!/bin/bash NETPATH=(`/bin/traceroute -n 4.2.2.2 | awk '{print $2}'`) for i in "${NETPATH}" do echo $i done The output: to 11.11.11.1 1.1.1.1 99.111.208.2 traceroute_test.sh traceroute_test.sh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumbs
7 Replies

7. Programming

A weird problem with POSIX function

Hi all, Sorry for the title because I didn't find a proper name for it. My question is about POSIX functions, such as timer_create(), mq_open() and pthread_create(). void test_queue() { struct mq_attr attr; attr.mq_maxmsg = 10; attr.mq_msgsize = 64; mq_unlink("/my_test_queue");... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bus147
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

[Solved] Weird 'ls -l' output

Hello folks, I've found an HP-UX server with a rare 'ls -l' output. Please see the attached file. Anybody knows how can I change the output to not have this extra tabulations? Thanks in advance! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: carpannav
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sqlplus function output to bash

Hi, I would like to have the output from an Oracle procedure be captured into a bash variable, then emailed to me when it runs on the cron daily as such: ~~~~~bash script~~~~~~~~~~~ #!/bin/bash shellvar=`sqlplus -s <<EOF execute test(); commit; exit; EOF` echo $shellvar mail -s "email... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inlinesidekick
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Weird output from ps command

Hi Guys, I am regular Solaris user. I came across a weird problem that puzzled me. Hope you guys can help. I found that process's state(command & arguments) in two different variants of ps command is different. Can anyone explain how is this possible? bash-3.2$ ps -eLo pid,s,comm,args |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brij123
2 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)