Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a pipe using parent and child processes Post 302416826 by jre247 on Tuesday 27th of April 2010 10:35:00 PM
Old 04-27-2010
I've edited the code in my original post above in order to retain the proper spacing using tags. Is there any more information that people need in order to assist me with fixing my pipe? Alister, do you want me to paste the code from the other functions of my cissh program into a post here, or do you prefer if maybe I paste the code of my other functions into a word document and then attach that document to this thread, or is there another more convenient and efficient way to show you the code of the other pieces of my program? Thanks for your help so far!

Last edited by jre247; 04-28-2010 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what are parent and child processes all about?

I don't follow what these are... this is what my text says... "When a process is started, a duplicate of that process is created. This new process is called the child and the process that created it is called the parent. The child process then replaces the copy for the code the parent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyyz
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kill parent and child

Hello all, I have gone through the search and looked at posting about idle users and killing processes. Here is my question I would like to kill an idle user ( which I can do) but how can I asure that all of his process is also killed whit out tracing his inital start PID. I have tried this on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parent/Child Processes

Hello. I have a global function name func1() that I am sourcing in from script A. I call the function from script B. Is there a way to find out which script called func1() dynamically so that the func1() can report it in the event there are errors? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find all the child processes of a parent process

Hi I am trying to see if there are some options in ps command or if there is a shell script which basically shows you all the processes spawned by a parent process , then all the processes of its child processes and so on down the hierarchy may be like a tree structure. It might be a generic... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: clifford
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill child processes, when parent is "bash"

Consider this simple command line bash -c 'echo $$ ; sleep 10000'This will print the newly created bash PID and sleep for a long time. If I go to another terminal and do something like ps -flax | grep leepI'll see something like 501 92418 91910 0 0:00.00 ttys000 0:00.00 bash -c echo $$... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: teras
5 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help with deleting childīs parent and child subprocess

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I need to make an program that in a loop creates one parent and five children with fork(). The problem i'm trying to solve is how to delete the parent and child of the childīs process. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhiteFace
0 Replies

7. Programming

fork(), parent and child processes???

Hi friends, I have a small question regarding unix system call fork, I hope you will solve my problem. Here is the small program $ cat fork1.c #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> int main() { int pid; int x = 0; x = x + 1; pid = fork(); if(pid < 0) {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill Parent/ Child processes

I am trying to kill PIDs that are tied to a KSH "load_sqlplus" and I am using the below code LIST_PID=`ps -ef | grep -i "load_sqlplus" | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` if ; then echo "Processes killed" "PID : " $LIST_PID kill -9 $LIST_PID else echo "Nothing to Kill" fi... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky338
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

parent and child directory

does anyone know how to check in an 'if' statement if a particular directory is a child directory of a particular directory? help ~ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymc1g11
2 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)