Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Good Practice Guides
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Good Practice Guides Post 302416803 by ilikecows on Tuesday 27th of April 2010 07:46:33 PM
Old 04-27-2010
Good Practice Guides

A recent post where someone suggested redirecting with a clobber ">" to a file the same command was reading from prompted me to post this sysad good practice list. Some items are from times where I have learned things the hard way. I think this would be helpful so we can learn from each others mistakes.

1. Test thy backups
2. pwd before rm
3. hostname before reboot
4. Executing a command with a recursive option on .* can be unpredictable
5. One word. Clustering
6. Test patches on a staging machine
7. If you are going to do it frequently, script it
8. Don't redirect to a file you are reading from
9. Copy a file before editing it
10. Document your systems' configuration and topology

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris Study Guides

I am currently working on my Solaris 8.0 Certification ,and I've been working primarily with the Solaris Study Guide produced by Syngress & Osborne. It's a good study guide ,but I think that it does lack some clarity and detail! My question is ,are there any other Solaris Study Guides that could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bilal_aa
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 9 Exam 310-014 & 310-015 Can anyone recommend some good study guides?

Hello, I'm going to be studying for my Solaris 9 System Administrator Certification and wondered if anyone had taken the exams and could recommend some good study guides / crams / books. Cheers, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: unrealuk
8 Replies

3. Solaris

Good (cheap) System for practice?

Hi! I am currently an M$ engineer who wants to move my career towards UNIX. My datacenter has about 300 Sun servers but not enough SA's (we also have 1800 Windows Servers). My manager is supportive of my moving toward UNIX, and I know it won't be an overnight move, but I am willing to put in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dabobbo
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Mail server guides/tutorials?

solved issue (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: n0rus
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Oracle guides for exams

hi people, I am very much interested to Oracle. I decided to write one exam soon and I am refering guides from certmagic.com. It seems good. Any of you know any good books than this ?! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: developer_me
0 Replies

6. AIX

AIX study Guides

Please help me in getting some fine docs ( other than redbooks)to learn AIX. My mail ID: qsecofr400@gmail.com Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: secofr
3 Replies

7. High Performance Computing

Guides for new HPC admins

In my company, it's fallen on me to serve as the admin of our new HPC cluster, a task that's very new to me. It's very important to me to lay a solid foundation and avoid any unnecessary pitfalls. So, can anyone recommend a succinct guide or list of do's-and-don'ts for adiminstering an HPC cluster?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DBryan
0 Replies
dbus-uuidgen(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   dbus-uuidgen(1)

NAME
dbus-uuidgen - Utility to generate UUIDs SYNOPSIS
dbus-uuidgen [--version] [--ensure[=FILENAME]] [--get[=FILENAME]] DESCRIPTION
The dbus-uuidgen command generates or reads a universally unique ID. Note that the D-Bus UUID has no relationship to RFC 4122 and does not generate UUIDs compatible with that spec. Many systems have a sepa- rate command for that (often called "uuidgen"). See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ for more information about D-Bus. The primary usage of dbus-uuidgen is to run in the post-install script of a D-Bus package like this: dbus-uuidgen --ensure This will ensure that /var/lib/dbus/machine-id exists and has the uuid in it. It won't overwrite an existing uuid, since this id should remain fixed for a single machine until the next reboot at least. The important properties of the machine UUID are that 1) it remains unchanged until the next reboot and 2) it is different for any two run- ning instances of the OS kernel. That is, if two processes see the same UUID, they should also see the same shared memory, UNIX domain sockets, local X displays, localhost.localdomain resolution, process IDs, and so forth. If you run dbus-uuidgen with no options it just prints a new uuid made up out of thin air. If you run it with --get, it prints the machine UUID by default, or the UUID in the specified file if you specify a file. If you try to change an existing machine-id on a running system, it will probably result in bad things happening. Don't try to change this file. Also, don't make it the same on two different systems; it needs to be different anytime there are two different kernels running. The UUID should be different on two different virtual machines, because there are two different kernels. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --get[=FILENAME] If a filename is not given, defaults to localstatedir/lib/dbus/machine-id (localstatedir is usually /var). If this file exists and is valid, the uuid in the file is printed on stdout. Otherwise, the command exits with a nonzero status. --ensure[=FILENAME] If a filename is not given, defaults to localstatedir/lib/dbus/machine-id (localstatedir is usually /var). If this file exists then it will be validated, and a failure code returned if it contains the wrong thing. If the file does not exist, it will be created with a new uuid in it. On success, prints no output. --version Print the version of dbus-uuidgen AUTHOR
See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/doc/AUTHORS BUGS
Please send bug reports to the D-Bus mailing list or bug tracker, see http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ dbus-uuidgen(1)