Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grab Portion of Output Text (sed, grep, awk?) Post 302416778 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 27th of April 2010 04:58:36 PM
Old 04-27-2010
High kamaraj,

It means save the two patterns of [0-9]* (with a / in between and spaces before and after) so that they can be referenced as \1 and \2 respectively. The patterns are in between \( and \) . Discard the rest. Note that a "|" is used as a separator for subsitition instead of "/ ".

S.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing portion of the output usind sed/awk

friends, i am a newbie in scripting. could someone help me in selecting only the last column of below ps command output ? mqm 14 16466 0 Sep 15 ? 0:01 /opt/mqm/bin/runmqlsr -r -m QMGR.INBOUNDSSL -t TCP -p 1415 -i 5.1.26.5 mqm 12 16700 0 Sep 15 ? 0:00... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unahb1
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash/grep/awk/sed: How to extract every appearance of text between two specific strings

I have a text wich looks like this: clid=2 cid=6 client_database_id=35 client_nickname=Peter client_type=0|clid=3 cid=22 client_database_id=57 client_nickname=Paul client_type=0|clid=5 cid=22 client_database_id=7 client_nickname=Mary client_type=0|clid=6 cid=22 client_database_id=6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pioneer1976
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep reverses # output, but not text?

I have a working script to find out the IP of a hostname like this: #!/bin/bash h="www.google.com" echo $h j=`host $h | grep -o '\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}'` echo "ip: $j" output ip: 74.125.19.99 the strange thing is if I use an IP instead of a hostname for $h, it inverts the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display output as columns using grep/awk/sed

I have several files with say something like cat sparrow I can grep for "cat" and "sparrow" and usually the output is one below the other cat sparrow How can I view these as columns say Pets Birds cat sparrow Would be great if this can be on command line using awk or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab characters following grep

Hi all, I'm trying to gather data directly following a keyword in a file but I have no guarantee where it will appear in said file so I can't use cut or anything else that assumes it will be located at a certain position. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful. Here is an example of the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Korn0474
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep output of a text file

Hi. I have a unix script 'if' condition that greps through a file and searches for the strings ERROR and WARNING. if egrep -q 'ERROR|WARNING' myfile.txt; then When this 'if' condition is true then I want to be able to capture 10 lines before the string and 10 lines after the string. So... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: buechler66
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep & sed - Output

Hi All, Facing an issue with grep & sed I have logs as below: gsc_1_20121121.log:2012-11-21 10:09:13,143 INFO - fmsspace.1 ProcessNewOrderSingleRequest: Result - ProcessNewOrderSingleBatchResultDTO - success:true,newOrderSingleBatchResults:ProcessNewOrderSingleResultDTO -... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: irfanmemon
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab nth occurence in between two patterns using awk or sed

Hi , I have an issue where I want to parse through the output from a file and I want to grab the nth occurrence of text in between two patterns preferably using awk or sed ! TICKET NBR : 1 !GSI : 102 ! 3100.2.112.1 11/06/2013 15:56:29 ! 3100.2.22.3 98 ! 3100.2.134.2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: OTNA
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I use grep to grab prime number output from my factor program?

I have a factor program that runs and outputs to stdout all the prime numbers that are specified in the given paramters, in this case 30000000-31000000. Command: factor/factor 30000000-31000000 Sample output: 30999979 = 30999979 30999980 = 2^2 5 11 140909 30999981 = 3 10333327... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find=grep or maybe sed/awk for multiple lines of text?

Hi, I am running the following: PASS="username/password" sqlplus -s << EOF | grep -v "^$" $PASS set feedback off set heading off set termout off select name from v\$database ; exit EOF Which gives ERROR: ORA-28002: the password will expire within 5 days PSMP1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)