Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ending script at specific time. Post 302416764 by deindorfer on Tuesday 27th of April 2010 04:30:50 PM
Old 04-27-2010
Perl Epoch Time

Code:
perl -e 'print time'

/bin/date +%s

Those two are more concise, and accomplish the same thing ( return the seconds since the epoch 00:00:00 Jan 1, 1970 GMT, not counting leap seconds ).

The date command is GNU date 7.2 on Linux. Use Perl, if you are worried about portability of /bin/date

Here is a simple example of a perl script to do what you want:

Code:
my $begin_time = time;
my $offset = 10; # number of seconds
do { 
  print "foo\n"; 
  sleep 1; 
} while ( time < ($begin_time + $offset) );

this grabs the current epoch time and then executes the code in the do() block ( in this case, prints "foo" once every second ). It keeps doing this for 10 seconds total.

What you need to do is put the start time in as a field in your crontab which runs this job, and then calculate the offset in seconds from that time.

In the example you gave this is 60 seconds * 60 minutes * 15 hrs, or 54,000 seconds. that is what you should set $offset to.

I would actually set it, not "54,000" but the equation, as it helps you to see what is going on:

Code:
my $offsest = 60 * 60 * 15;  # easier to understand this is 15 hours

Hope that Helps

Last edited by deindorfer; 04-27-2010 at 05:54 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh not ending (sometimes) from inside a script, why?

Okay I have this script file that runs from cron and most the time it works just find. Except every so often one of the three ssh commands I have in it just doesn't know it's done and that of course causes the whole thing to hang! The ssh command has executed. I can tell this because the command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stilllooking
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ending script after a specified time.

Hi All, I am having a script, which run fine. But what I want to do is that the script should run for specified time and terminate then ( say for a minute). Can somebody help me for this. I would be greatful. Thanks, Aru (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ending a script

Hi all, I am trying to end a Menu script. Can people suggest various methods please? At the moment I am doing: quit=n while do ...Code Code Code... read userinput case $userinput in q|Q) quit=y;; esac done But this doesn't seem to work every time, occasionally it will work,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejreading
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files in a folder with a specific ending

Hi I have files that end with .txt.txt that i want to delete. But I also have files that end with .txt that I want to leave intact. How do I specifically delete files that end with .txt.txt in a folder. thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for get lines with specific time.

i want to make a script for grep any lines with key word and every time (5 min) Ex. Log in Server. . . . 03-01-2012 03:07:54,924 - INFO MessageUtil - Return | Status=0 | TxID=12010300000548755292 | Message=Success 03-01-2012 03:09:13,789 - INFO MessageUtil - Return | Status=0 |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run commands at a specific time.

Hello All, I have written a script which which is working fine to a certain logic of it. But i want a part of the script to run two commands at 00:10 hrs every day. These two command are 1. rm -rf /path/to/folder 2. mail the content of a file. How do i achieve this. Thanks. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repetitive ending of script

Hi, I am quit satisfied with this scrtipt and really don't want to change anything but the end. I get a repetitve option when I want to "quit" and don't know why. What am I missing? When I press q to quit with this script, I get an EXTRA "Enter " How do I correct this so that when I press... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jefferj54
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

School ending Script

Hello beautiful people, I would like to kindly ask you to help me with my school leaving project. Unfortunatelly due to family problems I felt into trouble and I am on able to finish my project due to schedule. I would like to ask you to review this script and give me any hints that you could.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cerda
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add specific bases at the beginning and ending of all the fasta sequences?

Hi, I have to add 7 bases of specific nucleotide at the beginning and ending of all the fasta sequences of a file. For example, I have a multi fasta file namely test.fasta as given below test.fasta >TalAA18_Xoo_CIAT_NZ_CP033194.1:_2936369-2939570:+1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
1 Replies
sttime(3)						    ShapeTools Toolkit Library							 sttime(3)

NAME
stMktime, stWriteTime - date and time handling SYNOPSIS
#include <config.h> #include <sttk.h.h> time_tstMktime (char *string); char*stWriteTime (time_t date); DESCRIPTION
stMktime scans the given string and tries to read a date and time from it. It understands various formats of date strings. The following is a list of all valid formats, optional parts in brackets. [Tue] Jan 5[,] [19]93 This includes the standard asctime(3) format. Jan 5 With no year given, the year defaults to the current year. [19]93/01/05 This notation requires month and day represented by exactly two digits. 5.1.[19]93 This is the usual German notation. 5.1. German notation referencing the current year. A certain time, given together with the date must always have the following form. hours:minutes[:seconds] Each of the fields must be an integer value within the proper range (hours: 0-23, minutes and seconds: 0-59). Values below 10 may be written as one digit numbers. The time value may be placed anywhere in the date string: at the beginning, at the end, or somewhere in the middle. Any amount of white- space may be given between a field of the time value and the separating colon. The time is always considered to be local time. stWriteTime generates a time string similar to asctime(3) from its date argument. SEE ALSO
asctime(3) BUGS
Time Zone Names within the time string (like `MET') are not handled properly. In most cases they will cause a failure. sttk-1.7 Thu Jun 24 17:43:35 1993 sttime(3)