Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read from a pipe or die in perl Post 302416763 by ilikecows on Tuesday 27th of April 2010 04:28:27 PM
Old 04-27-2010
If there is no command line argument and if STDIN is not redirected (file or pipe), the program should exit and output a usage message. The script is meant to behave like a normal UNIX command line utility. I appreciate you taking the time to help pravin27.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read after pipe problem OSX10.4

I use read often in scripts to filter the right part into a variable like: $ print "abc cde efg" | read k l ; print "k=$k, l=$l" k=, l= This works on linux and unix versions I work with. On OSX 10.4 this doesn't work. I found a workaround but would like to know why the original line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: relyveld
5 Replies

2. Programming

Problem in read() from a pipe

Hi, Can any one please help me with this. Am struggling hard to get a solution. I am doing telnet through a C program and getting the stdout file descriptor of the remote machine to pipe. read() function is getting data, But whenl it receives SOH character ie. ^A ( Start of heading = Console... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JDS
2 Replies

3. Programming

pipe read and write with many forked children

I know how to read and write if i have a forked process with only one child. However what is involved with reading and writing with many forked processes. Say one parent that forks 5 children, and needs to communicate with all 5 in half duplex. int temp, counter=0; do{ pipe(temp); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveneliuk
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl problem - why isn't 'die' being called?

last week i started learning perl, so have limited skill and knowledge. why isn't 'die' being called and the script exiting before the 'directory created' line? if (! -d "$logdir") { system "mkdir -p $logdir" || die print "\nERROR: release log directory creation failed - $logdir: $!\n";... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl problem - another 'die' issue.

two things. why doesn't the 'die' message get displayed - "Error: release log directory creation failed..."? why does the script name and line number get displayed despite the inclusion of a '\n'. apparently adding a newline prevents this from happening. if (! -d "$logdir") { use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] nawk FS using pipe read variables from file

I have a file data_1.out which contains: 1|abc mail|mail subject|mail body 2|def mail|mail subject|def mail body I am trying to read the variables from data_1.out and use them to print to 2 different files based on the id (first_column) The problem is I am not able to read the file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read pipe data

Hello, I need to read the pipe data as:- cat abc.txt | uuencode abc.txt | mailx -s hi xyz@xyz.com I will override the mailx function so that when mailx is called, it calls my version of maix and in that function I want to read the file which is attached in progional mailx function- abc.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubh05
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While read pipe input issue

Hello, I have an ffmpeg bash script which is working nice and I need to do the same for other sources. To create new scripts and to deal with multiple bash files sounds not logical. It is a bit hard to manage for me.. I wondered if it was possible to make my input file as variable. Then I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baris35
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX fifo concurrent read from a named pipe

I have created a fifo named pipe in solaris, which writes the content of a file, line by line, into pipe as below: $ mkfifo namepipe $ cat books.txt "how to write unix code" "how to write oracle code" $ cat books.txt >> namepipe & I have a readpipe.sh script which reads the named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen mani
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX Pipe -Exit when there are no bytes to read

Hi All, I'm creating a program which reads millions of bytes from the PIPE and do some processing. As the data is more, the idea is to read the pipe parallely. Sun Solaris 8 See the code below: #!/bin/sh MAXTHREAD=30 awk '{print $1}' metadata.csv > nvpipe & while do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
3 Replies
nohup(1)						      General Commands Manual							  nohup(1)

NAME
nohup - run a command immune to hangups SYNOPSIS
command [arguments] DESCRIPTION
executes command with hangups and quits ignored. If output is not redirected by the user, both standard output and standard error are sent to If is not writable in the current directory, output is redirected to otherwise, fails. If a file is created, the file's permission bits will be set to If output from is redirected to a terminal, or is not redirected at all, the output is sent to EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
It is frequently desirable to apply to pipelines or lists of commands. This can be done only by placing pipelines and command lists in a single file, called a shell script. To run the script using features apply to the entire contents of file. If the shell script file is to be executed often, the need to type can be eliminated by setting execute permission on file. The script can also be run in the background with interrupts ignored (see sh(1)): file typically contains normal keyboard command sequences that one would want to continue running in case the terminal disconnects, such as: WARNINGS
Be careful to place punctuation properly. For example, in the command form: applies only to command1. To correct the problem, use the command form: Be careful of where standard error is redirected. The following command may put error messages on tape, making it unreadable: whereas puts the error messages into file EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The command specified by command was found but could not be invoked An error occurred in the nohup utility or the specified command could not be found Otherwise, the exit status of nohup will be that of the command specified. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), nice(1), sh(1), signal(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
nohup(1)