Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grab Portion of Output Text (sed, grep, awk?) Post 302416730 by compulsiveguile on Tuesday 27th of April 2010 03:04:26 PM
Old 04-27-2010
Grab Portion of Output Text (sed, grep, awk?)

Alright, here's the deal. I'm running the following ruby script (output follows):

Code:
>> /Users/name/bin/acweather.rb -z 54321 -o /Users/name/bin -c
Clouds AND Sun 57/33 - Mostly sunny and cool

I want to just grab the "57/33" portion, but that's it. I don't want any other portion of the line. I want to be able to grab dynamically as everything changes depending on the weather.

My idea was to do something along the lines of

Code:
>> /Users/name/bin/acweather.rb -z 54321 -o /Users/name/bin -c | grep [0-9][0-9][/][0-9][0-9]

but this obviously returns the whole line.

Ideally I'd like to display the following (though I'm not sure it can be done without a script):
Quote:
high: 57F
low: 33F
Any help would be great. Thanks!

---------- Post updated at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:45 PM ----------

I ended up just editing the script itself (doh!). I still would be interested to know if there's a way to grab just portions of text though...

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing portion of the output usind sed/awk

friends, i am a newbie in scripting. could someone help me in selecting only the last column of below ps command output ? mqm 14 16466 0 Sep 15 ? 0:01 /opt/mqm/bin/runmqlsr -r -m QMGR.INBOUNDSSL -t TCP -p 1415 -i 5.1.26.5 mqm 12 16700 0 Sep 15 ? 0:00... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unahb1
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash/grep/awk/sed: How to extract every appearance of text between two specific strings

I have a text wich looks like this: clid=2 cid=6 client_database_id=35 client_nickname=Peter client_type=0|clid=3 cid=22 client_database_id=57 client_nickname=Paul client_type=0|clid=5 cid=22 client_database_id=7 client_nickname=Mary client_type=0|clid=6 cid=22 client_database_id=6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pioneer1976
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep reverses # output, but not text?

I have a working script to find out the IP of a hostname like this: #!/bin/bash h="www.google.com" echo $h j=`host $h | grep -o '\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}\.\{1,3\}'` echo "ip: $j" output ip: 74.125.19.99 the strange thing is if I use an IP instead of a hostname for $h, it inverts the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display output as columns using grep/awk/sed

I have several files with say something like cat sparrow I can grep for "cat" and "sparrow" and usually the output is one below the other cat sparrow How can I view these as columns say Pets Birds cat sparrow Would be great if this can be on command line using awk or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab characters following grep

Hi all, I'm trying to gather data directly following a keyword in a file but I have no guarantee where it will appear in said file so I can't use cut or anything else that assumes it will be located at a certain position. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful. Here is an example of the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Korn0474
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep output of a text file

Hi. I have a unix script 'if' condition that greps through a file and searches for the strings ERROR and WARNING. if egrep -q 'ERROR|WARNING' myfile.txt; then When this 'if' condition is true then I want to be able to capture 10 lines before the string and 10 lines after the string. So... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: buechler66
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep & sed - Output

Hi All, Facing an issue with grep & sed I have logs as below: gsc_1_20121121.log:2012-11-21 10:09:13,143 INFO - fmsspace.1 ProcessNewOrderSingleRequest: Result - ProcessNewOrderSingleBatchResultDTO - success:true,newOrderSingleBatchResults:ProcessNewOrderSingleResultDTO -... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: irfanmemon
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab nth occurence in between two patterns using awk or sed

Hi , I have an issue where I want to parse through the output from a file and I want to grab the nth occurrence of text in between two patterns preferably using awk or sed ! TICKET NBR : 1 !GSI : 102 ! 3100.2.112.1 11/06/2013 15:56:29 ! 3100.2.22.3 98 ! 3100.2.134.2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: OTNA
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I use grep to grab prime number output from my factor program?

I have a factor program that runs and outputs to stdout all the prime numbers that are specified in the given paramters, in this case 30000000-31000000. Command: factor/factor 30000000-31000000 Sample output: 30999979 = 30999979 30999980 = 2^2 5 11 140909 30999981 = 3 10333327... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find=grep or maybe sed/awk for multiple lines of text?

Hi, I am running the following: PASS="username/password" sqlplus -s << EOF | grep -v "^$" $PASS set feedback off set heading off set termout off select name from v\$database ; exit EOF Which gives ERROR: ORA-28002: the password will expire within 5 days PSMP1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
SPLIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [ option ... ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Split reads file (standard input by default) and writes it in pieces of 1000 lines per output file. The names of the output files are xaa, xab, and so on to xzz. The options are -n Split into n-line pieces. -e expression File divisions occur at each line that matches a regular expression; see regexp(6). Multiple -e options may appear. If a subex- pression of expression is contained in parentheses (...), the output file name is the portion of the line which matches the subex- pression. -f stem Use stem instead of x in output file names. -s suffix Append suffix to names identified under -e. -x Exclude the matched input line from the output file. -i Ignore case in option -e; force output file names (excluding the suffix) to lower case. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/split.c SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(1) grep(1), regexp(6) SPLIT(1)